PDA

View Full Version : 400ex burning oil-bad

below100hz
03-28-2006, 06:35 PM
i checked my oil right before i went riding last weekend, it was fine, about 3/4 the way up the marks on the dipstick..i rode for maybe 2 hours and by the time i was on my way home i noticed i was burning alot of blue smoke. i checked my oil out when i got home, not even touching the dipstick...added a half quart and still not touching. it has always used a little oil when riding it hard climbing hills but i wasnt even doing that. the motor has been making some ticking noises for a little while now and its gotten worse. i tried adjusting the valves and that didnt help. what is it, ive searched and found everything from piston rings to valve seals and guides.
thanks!

400exkid05
03-28-2006, 06:41 PM
yea but it dosent always stay in the tank it could be all in the block if it needs it all u got to let it set for a while and it will make its way all in the tank...

below100hz
03-28-2006, 07:22 PM
i let it sit running for a little while after i added the oil and it still wasnt on the dipstick

EXevan91
03-28-2006, 07:27 PM
piston rings is the MOST comman reason for buring oil. as for the ticking do u have an after market cam ?

400exkid05
03-28-2006, 07:28 PM
no let it set no running.. u can never get an accurate messure

below100hz
03-28-2006, 07:29 PM
its the stock cam. i checked the level the other day too when it was cold and still didnt see anything

F-16Guy
03-28-2006, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by below100hz
... ive searched and found everything from piston rings to valve seals and guides.
thanks!
Typically, valve seals will leak a small amount of oil into the cylinder that builds up over time to cause some blue smoke right after engine start. Unless they're really leaking badly, the amount of oil they leak into the cylinder isn't enough to cause continuous visible smoke. If you are burning that much oil and have a continuous plume of smoke, you likely have a problem with your rings and/or possibly a scored cylinder.

below100hz
03-28-2006, 09:14 PM
it does constantly smoke alot of blue smoke. what can i do to see if it is indeed the rings, should i take it apart and look or just go ahead and order the rubuild kit

nicktrx400ex
03-29-2006, 12:06 PM
check your rings

mgraff400ex
04-08-2006, 12:38 PM
take your air filter off and reach inside the boot that goes to the carb see if there's any dirt or dust in there. chances are you are gonna need rings. probably lost all the cross hatch inside the cylinder. ijust took mine apart the other day and the cylinder had a mirror finish (thats bad) on the inside and i had .094" ring gap shoud be about .012" . went riding at flat river over the weekend and burned 5 quarts of oil in 4 gallons of gas it was bad but now they have a lot less mosquitoes.