PDA

View Full Version : Sprockets for Dunes

RobG
07-28-2002, 11:14 AM
I know the sprocket topic has been beat to death... I did a search and found 407 threads containing "sprocket," and read a lot of them. I'm still not 100% sure so I'm posting this anyway. :)

I have a '00 400EX that I got three weeks ago. It has a Big Gun full exhaust and jet kit.

My main riding area is Sand Mountain (Nevada). I run Sand Skate II paddles on 10" wheels. It's great on the dunes and will go right to the top, though on the really steep ones, it requires first gear.

My benchmark has become a hill that everybody drag races from. I've only drag raced people twice... my friend on his piped and jetted Raptor, and another friend on his recently rebuilt 250R. Both times they ran off and left me by at least six quad lenghts.

My 400EX just bogs down after a while... about halfway to the top. I always get to the top, but they're there long before I am. Heck I never get out of 2nd gear.

Would a 14T front sprocket help this? I'm also considering the White Brothers CDI Rev Kit.

Suggestions would be appreciated! We're going back next weekend so if I can get the parts in time, I'd like to have 'em on before the trip.

Thanks!

Rob

flaneledholes
07-28-2002, 11:26 AM
A 14 tooth front sprocket would help bogging but a wb black box will not help you all that much if you are going to gear down... Please someone correct me if Im wrong...

VegasEx'r
07-28-2002, 01:02 PM
The 14t is the way to go for the dunes. Don't waste your money on the CDI box, look into a cam or something else...

RobG
07-28-2002, 01:15 PM
Great, thanks! I just ordered one from Rocky Mountain ATV. Tell me, is it hard to install? The only chain stuff I've messed with before has been on my mountain bike, which is a considerable scale down. :)

I also have an RS Pro case saver to install, unless I'm better of staying with the stock one (will either need grinding?)

Thanks again!

Rob

dariusld
07-28-2002, 05:59 PM
It took me 5 minutes to change the sprocket and another 5 minutes to adjust the chain. It's pretty straight forward. Just remove the "case guard front sprocket chain cover thingy" , then remove the bolts holding the sprocket on and slide it out. Put the new one on in reverse order. Then tighten the chain.

own2424
07-28-2002, 06:52 PM
So its better to go down one on the front sprocket at the dunes? I have a banshee and im looking for a little more acceleration up the hills and through the dunes. Well, thanks for any advice....:D

nakomis0
07-28-2002, 07:47 PM
Stock Banshee gearing is ussually fine at the dunes. Going a tooth smaller might gear it down to much. You will just spin the tires alot and be shifting every 2 seconds.

own2424
07-28-2002, 07:52 PM
Nakomis0,

Thanks for the reply! I ride here by Glamis and Buttercup. When i "race" up the hill, i hit 4th gear and when i shift into 5th gear, it starts to bog out ....:confused:

Sandgod4
07-28-2002, 08:12 PM
Your quad is over paddled. Get rid of those Sand Skates. Get a 20" seven paddle Hauler or try a six paddle Glider. Either way you have to much bite for your quad and mods.....

nakomis0
07-28-2002, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by own2424
Nakomis0,

Thanks for the reply! I ride here by Glamis and Buttercup. When i "race" up the hill, i hit 4th gear and when i shift into 5th gear, it starts to bog out ....:confused:

Maybe you could go a tooth smaller. Heck there only about $14 and about 30 minutes to swap out.

My buddy tried it on his decently modded Banshee, and didn't care for it. But our riding is kinda flat at the dunes. They have big hills of course, but none you are really gonna pull 5th gear on.
Good Luck. If you do try it let us know how it works out.

own2424
07-28-2002, 08:29 PM
Yea, Ill make a trip to the shop on Tuesday and put it on my quad. Ill update you guys on how I pull up the hill. Right now im running STOCK everything besides a Pro Design Filter. Itll probly make a difference when i get new pipes and jet it....Thanks!

Crowdog
07-28-2002, 10:49 PM
Rob,

Get rid of the Sand Skate II and get 8 paddle Haulers. I run Sand Mountain and it is the best paddle for the area if you want to go fast & straight. The disadvantage is they are a bit harder to side hill with.

I'm guessing you must be the guy that Derik (new Raptor) was talking about.

If you come out on Labor Day, look me up. I have a 416 and my wife's just has a slip on & filter.

Jon

RobG
07-28-2002, 10:56 PM
Crowdog:

The Haulers are that much better? Dangit, and I just bought these darn things. *sigh*

Derik? Don't think I've met him. I met a guy on a blue '01 Raptor from San Jose yesterday, and he couldn't get the thing to go more than 2/3 up one of the shorter slopes with Bandits on the back. Only other guy I know with a Raptor is my friend, Chuck.

I might make it out over Labor Day, but I don't know. I figure it'll be totally packed there so I dunno if I'd want to go. I'd certainly like to help with the cleanup...

I'll be back out next weekend. I met a couple of guys there yesterday who will also come back out so we'll setup camp together and hang. One has a new mostly-stock yellow 400EX and the other has an old 250R that he brought back from the dead.

Rob