PDA

View Full Version : Sand Riding

KJS
07-28-2002, 10:28 AM
Hey guys where is the best sand riding out west? We have been to LIL SAHARA UTAH That was great. Anywhere else we should try.Need BIG HILLS- HUGE BOWLS and some TRAILS and good camping area. Other than Glamis, traveling from Va.:macho :macho

own2424
07-28-2002, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by KJS
Other than Glamis, traveling from Va.:macho :macho

GLAMIS!!! I'm here in Arizona right now for the summer. I just went to Glamis last weekend, and its great. HUGE! Just drive the extra couple hours...itll be fun! Good Luck!

monkeynuts
07-30-2002, 08:44 AM
yeah just went there [glamis] a couple of weekends ago. it was so d@mn hot i think my plastics started melting.

Dune Surfer
08-14-2002, 10:52 PM
GLAMIS IS KING this time of year try pismo

08-14-2002, 11:51 PM
Well, in my opinion, considering the type of terrain you were talking about (bowls, hill climbs, trails), Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area would be the place to go. If you wanna drive that far. I go up there a few times a year and it's awesome. There are a few pretty good hill climbs, and lots of trails through the dunes. It's the only place in the world that redwood trees grow out in the dunes (seriously). It's pretty cool...you can be riding along the beach one minute, carving bowls the next minute and if you ride inland a little ways you can be on trails through the dunes. The sand builds up on the trunks of the trees and bushes which makes berms all throughout the trails. There are also a huge number of lakes out in the middle of the dunes that you see people trying to haul *** and hydroplane across them. If you have ever seen any of the Fleshwound Films Crusty Demons Of Dirt movies you know what I'm talking about. There are several shots of the Oregon dunes in the first couple movies. It does rain there quite often so plan a trip in the summer months. There are 3 riding areas which give you access to the dunes. One is near Coos Bay, the other two are near Winchester Bay. The area near Coos Bay is about 10 miles long and about 3 miles wide, so approximately 30 square miles, but it seems larger. That's the biggest one of the three. Lots of campground with sand access, and it's not blazing hot without trees like Glamis. Check it out on the net....oregondunes.com ( I think). Later