PDA

View Full Version : checked my clutch plates and it wasnt good

benbuilt4u
03-28-2006, 11:59 AM
i posted when i first got mine the clutch slipped to the point i didnt have any clutch then i had to shorten up the cable about an inch to ride. well after the next ride i started to loose even more clutch. well i decided i best check the plates. well it took 10 minutes to get them out so no big deal. but almost all of them were completely wore out. To my best knowledge i think my dealer caused this. they over adjusted my clutch cable to the point it was actually slipping under acceleration and like all dealers theres no way they admit that. so know i need to order new plates and clutches. anyone tried hinson? they have a complete setup listed? if not im gonna go stock but dreading the price of even stock stuff. anyone know a good suzuki place to order from?

jpb450
03-28-2006, 03:08 PM
Hinson makes the best clutches out there. I would say 75% of the pros run them. I had one on my z400 and it hooked up great and lasted twice as long as the stocker, and we all know how the old Z ate up clutches.

CdaleXtreme
03-28-2006, 05:35 PM
Im sorry, but even if they messed up, you should check your clutch tension every time you start your quad.

It takes the flick of an index finger to adjust it.

Couldnt you tell it was way too tight?

You can never go wrong with Hinson, but usually OEM clutches and brakes are hard to beat.

This is my first Suzuki, but the OEM honda stuff was always the best way to go.

benbuilt4u
03-29-2006, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by CdaleXtreme
Im sorry, but even if they messed up, you should check your clutch tension every time you start your quad.

It takes the flick of an index finger to adjust it.

Couldnt you tell it was way too tight?

You can never go wrong with Hinson, but usually OEM clutches and brakes are hard to beat.

This is my first Suzuki, but the OEM honda stuff was always the best way to go.

i did check it the reason it was screwed up was they had the lever adjustment all the way in when they adjusted it so it was backwards. so as it wore in it held it out and wore faster.

foxman_23
03-29-2006, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by benbuilt4u
i did check it the reason it was screwed up was they had the lever adjustment all the way in when they adjusted it so it was backwards. so as it wore in it held it out and wore faster.
Dont wanna piss anyone off but that is still not their fault. Mine was like that too but that was one of the things i adjusted before I ever rode the thing.

jfarrar30
03-29-2006, 07:02 PM
yes i agree with these guys although the dealer is part to blame.if you checked your slack and properly adjusted it before every ride as you should you would have caught this before it got that bad.lesson learned when you put in your new clutch remember to monitor your slack adjustment or it will happen again.this is one thing i really liked about the hydro clutch on the dale.it was always in tune.

benbuilt4u
03-29-2006, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by jfarrar30
yes i agree with these guys although the dealer is part to blame.if you checked your slack and properly adjusted it before every ride as you should you would have caught this before it got that bad.lesson learned when you put in your new clutch remember to monitor your slack adjustment or it will happen again.this is one thing i really liked about the hydro clutch on the dale.it was always in tune.

i had hydro on my 400. but yeah i checked it. just the darn clutch adjustment is reverse thread!!! my 400 wasnt thats where i had the promblem i thought i was all in and in reality i was all out.

CdaleXtreme
03-29-2006, 08:26 PM
well wether you should or shouldnt have. I will bet you wont do it again. :D

badvox
03-30-2006, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by jfarrar30 this is one thing i really liked about the hydro clutch on the dale.it was always in tune. [/B]

Yep! Love it!!

benbuilt4u
03-30-2006, 05:10 PM
ordered all new parts cost me 290 for everything plus a new repair manual.

spudss
03-30-2006, 05:29 PM
ouch!!!!!!!

ACEwrench
03-31-2006, 01:34 PM
another thing you can do is switch your oil..... synthetic oil is great for engines, horrible for clutches (slippy too muchyy) we run 15-40 non syn in our yfzs.... but we too have the hinson set up which is by far a great improvement over stock

TheJeSter1340
04-04-2006, 09:39 AM
It is the additives (friction modifiers) in synthetic oils that is bad for clutches. Amsoil makes a synthetic that is safe for clutches

Quadboy350
05-07-2006, 08:05 PM
BARNETT DIRT DIGGER

AL Elks
05-07-2006, 08:43 PM
As long as there are no friction modifiers (Moly) in the Synthetic oil it's fine. I've used it for years in both my Goldwing as well as my Z400 which is highly modded. You just have to make sure it doesnt' say "energy conserving" on the star on the bottle. It's the bottom part of the logo and it should be blank.

jimmy123_272
05-12-2006, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by TheJeSter1340
It is the additives (friction modifiers) in synthetic oils that is bad for clutches. Amsoil makes a synthetic that is safe for clutches
yeah but amsoil is so insanely expensive

blholtz
05-15-2006, 09:22 PM
you think amsoils expensive, try looking into maxima ultra. That is what i am using in my Quad racer. Runs about $13-$14 a quart.

jimmy123_272
05-16-2006, 09:44 AM
well that is expensive too but soi is amsoil