PDA

View Full Version : What am i missing

killed300ex
03-28-2006, 11:31 AM
I am planning on going with a 416 kit for my 400. Trying to get all the parts before i tear it apart. Tell me if i am missing anything.
Weisco 11:1 piston
Cam
Cam Chain
top end gasket kit

For mods i already have a higher rev cdi, pro circut t-4 full system, k&N.
Am I missing any parts, and should i do any valve work or are the stock valves good for a 416?
Thanks
Evan

insaneracin2003
03-28-2006, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by killed300ex
I am planning on going with a 416 kit for my 400. Trying to get all the parts before i tear it apart. Tell me if i am missing anything.
Weisco 11:1 piston
Cam
Cam Chain
top end gasket kit

For mods i already have a higher rev cdi, pro circut t-4 full system, k&N.
Am I missing any parts, and should i do any valve work or are the stock valves good for a 416?
Thanks
Evan
while your in the motor,i would suggest doing the valves and such. if you are rebuilding,rebuild completely.

04'400ex'er
03-28-2006, 03:31 PM
I would replace the valves and valve seats along with the guides while you are in there. Also, possibly new springs depending on how old yours are...

premiumtommy
03-28-2006, 05:31 PM
if your bike doesnt have a crazy amount of hours, your valves and springs shoud be fine....the seals i would recommend changing

get a cylinder base gasket since you will be removing the jug

i wouldnt think you will need a cam chain..a lot of people think you do but the 400ex has a good one...unless it shows sign of wear while you r in there, dont bother...just a waste of time...return the other for cash

to be honest..i would say get the 450r carb..higher comp piston+cam+filter+exhaust....put that carb on and feed that 416 the air it wants

****..you might as well get a machinist lined up for the day you do this and when you take off the intake, go to him and have him port it...by the time you are ready for it, he should be done..trust me, there is someone in your area that will do it on the side

make sure you have a feeler guage small enough for the valves..you will need to readjust them when done..

oh and i hope you have a torque wrench

good luck

killed300ex
03-28-2006, 06:54 PM
Thanks for the replys. I have found the person who is going to do the work hes a friend and noone else can beat the prices he has given me. I am planning on taking it all apart giving him the jug and head and let him bore it out and look over the head to see what the valves look like and maybe do some porting. Hadnt thought about the carb.
Evan

killed300ex
03-29-2006, 08:12 PM
Have been looking at cams wondering what you would recomend I am looking at hotcams stage 1 and 2 also are the magnum cams any good? I do almost all trail riding and some wide open fields.
Thanks EVan

insaneracin2003
03-30-2006, 07:01 AM
Hot Cam Stage 2 is what i have,good power delivery throughout,imo

04'400ex'er
03-30-2006, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by killed300ex
Have been looking at cams wondering what you would recomend I am looking at hotcams stage 1 and 2 also are the magnum cams any good? I do almost all trail riding and some wide open fields.
Thanks EVan The hotcams Stg.2 Is a really nice cam. The midrange is really strong, with a great top end to go with it. Bottom end stays about the same though. If you like to ride fields then this is a good cam for you.

jsmith2232
03-30-2006, 09:28 AM
I went with the stage I, I do a lot of ground freestyle, trails and dunes, I haven't ridden a stage II yet but i am very satisfied with the stage I,