PDA

View Full Version : a few questions about my "breaking in" time

Tacomac
03-28-2006, 10:28 AM
Hi there. I have read the post about break in before and was steered toward this site....

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

How many of your agree that this is the best method.....and if so i have a couple of questions about the Z400

1. Does it come from the factory with regular or synthetic oil?

2. How many hours of riding should i perform this method if im going to be doing it on open trail riding with some road riding as well

3. If i change the oil after the recommended 20 miles.......what kind of oil should i replace it with....atv oil or regular car oil?

4. after the 20 mile oil change............how soon should the oil be changed again?

5. after warming the engine up for the break in process.........how long should i ride this method that day before shutting the bike off for the day?

Thanks for your time

indyZrider
03-28-2006, 04:48 PM
ive read that too but i dont know- i guess its up to you though-i did the 10 hours on half to 3/4 throttle then changed the oil.
never use car oil always buy the 4 stroke oil. they also suggest regular atv oil for the first 3 or 4 changes then switch to synthetic
it depends on you style of riding as to how often you change the oil but just keep an eye on it. i usually change it every 2 rides

HondaRider250
03-28-2006, 08:10 PM
every 2 rides??? holy crap how long do u ride on each ride? i change mine every 3 to 6 months its what the manual said to do is that bad

IrideMHSC
03-29-2006, 08:15 AM
I run my oil every two races... With the z-400 the oils ni the clutch and the motor are the same and the clutch fibers get in the oil on the picton and its better to be safe than sorry when it come to that... the fibers can etch the sleeve if they run to long

indyZrider
03-29-2006, 02:13 PM
yep thats why i do it every 2 rides/clutch and engine use the same oil. i usually ride about 6-8 hours each time i go. thats every 2 big rides that doesnt include the little screwing around in yard