PDA

View Full Version : CRF450F in a 400ex??

Foxrage
07-28-2002, 09:35 AM
I know its been talked about alot lately but no one really summed it all up for me. So heres everything i would like to know. How much power does the CRF have? Will i have to destroke it to race, I think all the classes around here are just a fourstroke and a two stroke no matter how big or small.

heres some of the pricing: 450 dollars-walsh radiator, 150 dollars shorty PC T-4 pipe, 1000 dollars for ECA Conversion, ???? dollars for the motor and electronics.

How much for the motor and carb and electronics? What does the ECA conversion come with? Also is there anything else i would need? Thanks

Tommy 17
07-28-2002, 10:22 AM
u can't just buy the motor... u have to buy the whole bike and then sell the rest of it... and thats gonna be hard to do i bet...

Mxbubs
07-28-2002, 10:27 AM
I suggest getting the YZ motor. The honda motor is overrated, and hard to come by anyway. Dont waist your money on the walsh radiator. There is a site, I think it is called griffinrad.com, they can custom build you a radiator out of aluminum for around 300$. You can actually just use a 250r radiator if you like. You can get the aluminum to build your own rezzy, just locate a welder. Your best place to buy everything; bolts, metal, oil lines, hoses, etc. is mcmaster-carr.com.

Foxrage
07-28-2002, 12:20 PM
someone said you can buy just the motor?? Thats what i need to find. what all would i need with your 426 kit. and what comes with it? can i use stock oil tank? thanks

Evan
07-28-2002, 01:32 PM
Just to set things straight, You CAN buy the CRF450 motor, and it is NOT overated, the motor is awesome. You can buy the motor from sparks for 4000, you can also buy it from other places. I know legacy and several other places sell it. Legacy is slightly cheaper than sparks, not much though. The didfference in HP and etc is very little on the 450 vs 426, and for that little difference I will take honda anyday.Honda =Reliability. Yamaha =trouble. Plus the yamahas are hard to start. The bad thing about the 450 is that is has very little oil and must be checked constantly. Legacy is soon to be selling frames that the 450 motor will bolt on and most 250r and 400ex parts will bolt on also. This is what I would do, since when you mod your EX frame it weakens it. JustMO

Tommy 17
07-28-2002, 01:53 PM
sry x-rider i didn't know they sold the motor... i was always told honda wouldnt sell it unless u bought a replacement for ur 450f...

i think the 450f has more power then the 426 when i ride them... hte 450f seems to be alot smoother also...

Foxrage
07-28-2002, 03:47 PM
how much will the frame be ?? Thanks for the other info. Thats alot for the motor i think ill just buy the 2 for half that.

250rmike
07-28-2002, 07:02 PM
i was just thinkinf the 250r radiator is extremely large for a 400 frame. why dont you get the bike and take everything you need off it and sell the rest. that way it can work out to about 1500-2500 for the motor. also use the radiators from the dirtbike sideby side. if they can cool it in a dirtbike frame it will work on a quad.

Mxbubs
07-28-2002, 07:54 PM
After having this 400ex motor, I will NEVER own another honda motor. Consider this, you can pay $4000 for the 450 motor and get 52Hp, or you can pay $2300 and get the 426 with 49hp.............Also, the honda are having a problem with overheating..........imagine that, honda built a motor without a oil rezzy, do you think they put much thought into the motor's reliability? As far as starting, the yz is easy to start once you do the BK mod, and cut the light blue wire.

Foxrage
07-28-2002, 08:05 PM
Ok well what will i need and how much will it be. will a WB pipe work good with the 426.

slates74
07-28-2002, 10:39 PM
da*n nac's make up your mind, first its a 400, then a c-dale, then an R, now this, j/k bro I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever you buy however I'd point you in the direction of the c-dale because at least it's a manufactured quad, rather that a one-off creation. Dont get me wrong I'd love to have one myself, but I always like to know I can turn back to the dealer if I have a problem, however if you decide to build this quad I suggest using the new 2003 YZ450F motor, that things gonna be a power-house!

Foxrage
07-29-2002, 02:01 PM
Ya i know i know but i cant help it. LOL I see YZ motors on ebay all the time for like 2000 bucks so when i get the money i will get it. BUt first i will buy that dudes kit for 700 bucks. What all will i have to weld ? I plan on getting a Walsh radiator and i will figure out a way to usr my stock Oil cooler. So that mens i will have everything but how to get the pipe on there. Will a WB with the open end cap work good with it? How will i get it to work? could i use the YZs WB insides and use the EXs outside tou mount it or what? Also will i have to get a new cahin and sprokets and whats the best gearing for the rear? Anything else i should know will be great.

Foxrage
07-29-2002, 08:33 PM
Bump

Dave400ex
07-29-2002, 08:38 PM
Man I would buy a Cannondale.

07-29-2002, 08:46 PM
i figured it would cost 2,000 to get themotor and parts....u buy the bike for 4500 used sell the parts u dont need for 1000, sell the 400 motor and oil cooler etc for 1500 then spend another 900 for east coast atv to set it up and more for parts

Foxrage
07-29-2002, 09:43 PM
Mxbubs,

LOL I see YZ motors on ebay all the time for like 2000 bucks so when i get the money i will get it. BUt first i will buy that dudes kit for 700 bucks. What all will i have to weld ? I plan on getting a Walsh radiator and i will figure out a way to usr my stock Oil cooler. So that mens i will have everything but how to get the pipe on there. Will a WB with the open end cap work good with it? How will i get it to work? could i use the YZs WB insides and use the EXs outside tou mount it or what? Also will i have to get a new cahin and sprokets and whats the best gearing for the rear? Anything else i should know will be great.

Slates74,

Ya i know i know but i cant help it.

07-30-2002, 08:44 AM
what the heck is wrong with you.......yz is more maintenence harder to start and harder to put in the 400ex frame, stay with honda i saw a guy start his 450f in sandals after washing it first kick plus thier alot more power and you could do it for 2,000 you need the wiring and stuff anyway so you need the bike eca kit only is labor for 995

Foxrage
07-30-2002, 09:00 AM
Ok i saw what you said above and didnt understand a thing so if you want to put it in better english it would be great. The reason i want the YZF is cause it is cheaper.

VegasEx'r
07-30-2002, 02:29 PM
I think this is what #12nacs400ex is saying:

The YZ is more maintenence, harder to start and harder to put in the 400ex frame. Stay with honda. I saw a guy start his 450f first kick after washing it while wearing sandals. Plus they're alot more powerful and you could do it for $2,000. You need the wiring and stuff anyway so you need the bike. ECA kit is $995, & it is labor only.

Of course, Nacs, like you said the YZ is cheaper. I have been thinking of doing this, too. Even though the CRF is more expensive, I am leaning toward it. It starts easier, will fit better, and (since I don't have a lot of patience) I prefer working on Honda motors instead of Yamaha's. Now that I know that Legacy is selling just the motor, I may give them a call.

racer_ex55
07-30-2002, 02:59 PM
how much is legacy selling their motors for? I contacted service honda and they are selling them for 3500$. the YZ motor is not that much harder to put into the ex frame, you only need an oil tank and lines. other than that they are pretty similar. Also, the 426 motor puts out almost identical hp numbers. the crf only has more torque. i would also prefer the crf motor but the yzf motors are quite a bit easier to put in and to find.

Foxrage
07-30-2002, 03:47 PM
Ya i know that but i dont know how 12Nacs made it seem like it was the same price? Ya y do you guys think i started this post cause i wanted the CRF but when it came down to it The YZF is cheaper no harder and has rouphly the same power, Tim Farr prefers his CRF over The YZF but im sure if tim farr is in the hard to get money situation that i am in he is not going to get the CRF when he can get a YZF sooner than saving more to get the CRF. You find out how much the motors are from legacy and i will talk to baldwin to see if its worth the extra 1500 to get the CRF?

07-30-2002, 08:40 PM
12 nacs rember you only get what u pay for lol think about what the yz motor has been through b4 you buy it and consider its a yz and its not as durable so....w/e do what you want but rember when you dont do somin the best you dont get the best the honda has smoother power more durability and wet sump....plus its a honda and its durable why dont u just go by a canondale like u said because you could have one for sellin your 400 and the money ud spend for the yz oh yeah are you even aware that the stock motor uses all the stock susp has to offer and your goin to have to get suspension or that extra horse power wont help a thing......if your gonna stick with a 400 the powerplant is the last thing u should be concerned with unless u drag

NacsRacing400
07-30-2002, 09:06 PM
Yes, find out how much legacy wants for a 450f motor because that is the engine i want to make a quad out of and im going to have herrman build me a chassi for it that will except all my aftermarket 400ex parts like a-arms and shocks. Ive been wanting to do the crf all racing season for a winter project but the closer winter comes the more i am leaning toward the yz because of price, i can get a yz motor for 2000 with all mounts to put it in the 400 frame but if i could get the crf engine for under 3500.00 with electricals i would do that instead. I figure i can sell my engine with everything for 1200.00-1500.00. The thats only 2000.00 for engine. Then buy a chassi for the crf motor with is about 2300.00. Take 300 off for my frame that i sell and im at 4000.00 for everything and i already have longtravel aarms and elka quad rate shocks and everything you could ever want in chassi mods. I think it would be one sick quad. Also the engine i left till last so it is still untouched and i figure it will take atleast 3000.00 just to get it to run at fast as the crf so for a 1000.00 more i have a high tech engine and a aftermarket frame.

Pro400EXC
07-30-2002, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by #12nacs400ex
consider its a yz and its not as durable so....

Ok OK Nacs,do you even know what your talking about? Do you know anyhting about Dirtbikes?

The YZ426F is tried and true,and is super reliable,unless you go boring it to a 440,but iwth just a porting,and bigger vavles,she will spank the best built 440ex's.

Plus,the YZ-F isn't that much harder to start,once you get the hang of it.

The YZ-F motor is also dry sump,witch is more reliable,and better, plus the YZ-F has a snappier hit or power,and thats good.

I know guys who put the YZ-F motor in a 400ex,and the CRF motor in a 400ex,and they said there both stock,and the 426F put out more power,and the guy with the CRF/400ex was pissed.

Another thing,that is B.S the YZ-F motor is just as easy,if not easier to fit in a 400ex,with the CRF,you have to cut and bend and so on to the frame tubes.

Nacs400,if you want more info about the 426F motor in a 400ex, e-mail adam sick,he has one and raced it for about 2yrs,and loves itmplus he is the cheapest to do it fro you.

sickman80@yahoo.com

Also,you could consider tha WR426F,witch puts out a good spread of power,plus it has more top end cause its a wide ration tranny,and if you want lights to ride at night, the WR-F already ahs a stator for it.

trx400ex
07-30-2002, 10:41 PM
one thing some of you guys are missing is that the market is flooded with ex motors, i could buy them all day long for $800, and everyday there is more and the price just keeps going down

Dave400ex
07-31-2002, 09:02 AM
NACS I think your crazy. That is gonna be a bigger/more expensive project then you think. I would save for one of those Walsh Cannondales or get a Moto 440.

Foxrage
08-01-2002, 08:45 AM
Ya i might be a little crazy but its fun enough hangin on to the 400s power now i want something bigger and need to do it in steps so thats y i have decided on the 426. Can anyone help on these:
I see YZ motors on ebay all the time for like 2000 bucks so when i get the money i will get it. BUt first i will buy that dudes kit for 700 bucks. What all will i have to weld ? I plan on getting a Walsh radiator and i will figure out a way to usr my stock Oil cooler. So that mens i will have everything but how to get the pipe on there. Will a WB with the open end cap work good with it? How will i get it to work? could i use the YZs WB insides and use the EXs outside tou mount it or what? Also will i have to get a new cahin and sprokets and whats the best gearing for the rear? Anything else i should know will be great.

Mxbubs
08-10-2002, 05:20 PM
Oh yeah, for that guy that said I was asking too much for my yz426 motor, do the math.

I was selling:

Motor (2k)
Carb (300$)
Electrical (150$)
Motor Bushing (200$)
Titinium Pivot Bolt, and Ti bottom bolt (???)
Front mounts with spacers (150$)
Kick Starter Extender (200$)
Machined Carb Ext. (If you can find another one let me know!)
Cut outs and measurements to all sleeves and spacers, and gussets.

3,000$ Tons of Tech support included

Nausty
08-10-2002, 07:07 PM
yzf's arn't hard to start when you get the hang of it, I'd pick the yz426f mainly because I think the crf is way over rated and the 426 is just as good imo.

Mxbubs
08-10-2002, 07:38 PM
Way overated I agree, and way overpriced, I think. The yz is a breeze to start, with about $60 in mods it will crank just as easy the cr. What mods you ask? For starters, cut the light blue aqua wire, do the BK carb mod, and get the stator set up Mike Dean makes for $50. You could always pay 3500$ for the honda motor and hope it doesnt overheat:D

Evan
08-10-2002, 10:54 PM
Hmm, I just got back from racing, a guy there that usally has the fastest 400EX, switched to a yz426, just shoved it in his frame, well, during practice the carb blew off, he kicked and kicked, till he found out what happend. Then he got to practice right b4 the race, and stalled it, it started pretty easy after about 5-6 kicks. Then in the race it blew the carb again, something else happened the 2nd moto. Now for a little background, this was his first race on it, he hadnt practiced on it or anything. JMO If I did anything, I would be going with the honda. But I was there kickn tail on my trusty R.

stocktires
08-11-2002, 04:05 PM
Im my opinion, the new hybrid 400ex/dirt bike motored quads definatley arent worth it.
You could fix up a 250r that would kill the hybrids (the mags even say that the new hybrids still cant compete with R's).

Or buy C-DALE!! kory ellis even said hi c-dale was almost as fast as his highly modded yz426 (it might be a yz440, not sure).
Its very light, very fast, has extremely high capabilities (schell has been winning the SX series on his stock speed!).
this IS the quad of the future. The reason not a whole lot of pros arent racing them is because alot of the mechanic's that give them their quads are afraid of the fuel injection.

08-11-2002, 04:57 PM
one thing to keep in mind when choosing between a yz426 motor and a crf450 is the fact that the crf450 doesn't have any compression breaking. when you let off the gas you'll just coast for days

forum
09-18-2002, 08:51 AM
Farr, hitt, jones all seem to like the crf better then the yz. and better then the C dale's. They still use the R's too. But not C-dales. Pro's ride what they feel is the best. They arn't payed millions like the dirtbike boys. meaning there is no "false advertising". Im sure both engines are awsome. But I'd rather have the crf. (thats what im building this winter) I just like honda. Every one has there own opinion. And mine is. I would never buy a moto. Its a rip. Buy a canibal and use aftermarket stuff. I believe that would be a better quad and for the same amount of money. If i were a reswident of the USA i would most likely go for a yzf due to the 440cc rule. Up in Canada we don't have classes divided buy cc. They are divided by like junior, intermediat, pro, ect.. The top racer in Canada. (james banks) runs a highly modified Raptor. Although he doesn't like it... He runs his friends 250r when ever he can. He wants to build a Crf.

airheadedduner
09-18-2002, 09:53 AM
From what I understand the YZ is actully faster then the CRF in a quad frame dispite less HP overall. It revs quicker and feels more like a 2 stroke. The CRF has a much smoother powerband and is easier to ride. The YZ is also more reliable, the only problems I have ever heard of is that the kickstart gear can break. I know someone who races XC on dirtbikes, he says he see's overheated broke down CRFs all over the place. THe YZ is already 250 class legal, the CRF is not unless you destroke or sleave it down. I think I would pefer the CRF for the track and the YZ for dunes. Take your pick, you won't be disipointed with either compared to your EX.

You don't want the WR426 in a quad frame cause the gear spacing is way to wide. Even the YZ's gearing is kinda tall.

forum
09-18-2002, 01:38 PM
I personaly like a bike with a smooth powerband, its nice to just lug around the track. I seem to be faster like that.