PDA

View Full Version : lt230 **Just Got** HELP!!

02blzrx
03-28-2006, 08:17 AM
I just picked up a 85 lt230s for $200 I bought this bike on a whim for the wife since the price was right. So I plan for it to be a low budget build. It runs but smokes like crazy, this is the rings from what I gather. Rear caliper is missing (Pretty sure I have located a used one) and rear plastics. It is going to need a lot of love but will be a fun project.
I have a lot of things it could use / needs and I have a lot questions. I have never restored a bike or had a real project or worked on a ATV for that matter. Some small stuff but for the most part just swapping parts. I was a mechanic in the ARMY so I am comfortable turning wrenches just used to working on diesels (oddly enough they were 2 strokes too) Please bare with me if I am of track or just confused.

- First things first. Smoking. I plan on buying a Manual but does anyone one know of one online? I know for my 350x (for sale) I could look at in a .PDF file. The guy I picked it up from said he had seen a webpage that gave a step by step with photos on how to change the rings. Something about how to use a bungee to hold the timing chain. I was wondering if anyone knows of this site?
I have read mixed things where people say they simply replaces the rings and some say they got it rebored. Seeing is I am on a budget I am interested in replacing the rings. How bad does this sound? And how would I find out what bore its on?

Does this sound right?

Or you might just try this trick i learned some years ago from a car sales man. The air box has to be percectly clean or dont try. Use baking soda the not powder, and sprinkly just a little dust in the intake. no clumps, just a fine dust . Have it reved to about 2000rpms while sprinkling it in. this will take the glaze of of the cylinder wall. Old cars trucks, on like a small car this will work to trade it in. it will stop smoking for about 6 months if its the rings. thats if the rings are still in good shape

- Carb. With the boot off from the air box, you can see that the slide appears to be scored. It has a lot of black and streaked with silver. Im sure this isnt right, The choke moves but feels like it is doing nothing. I was thinking to just rebuild it but from what I gather rebuild kits dont include parts for those areas, just needles and gaskets/ o-rings? Would I be better off just buying a new(er) one or try rebuilding it?

- Shocks. The rear is pretty mushy, I know the 300ex fronts fit with modification. Does anyone know of a rear shock that can swap in from a newer bike? Does anyone have pics or link of the 300ex shocks on the front?

- Plastics - The rear is missing and the front is cracked / faded. I have seen pictures of people with out the plastics, but they wife really wants them. Does anyone have any for sale? Or some cracked one's that can be cut to look decent? I cannot find a rear plastic on ebay at all except for a whole set out of my price range.

If anyone has any of the above mentioned parts for sale, any links, pretty much everything will be appreciated, thanks - Morgan