PDA

View Full Version : First ride on my R

maggiesboy
03-28-2006, 08:00 AM
I know this is hard to believe, but the old school racer is WAY FASTER than my YFZ450 "formally known as Missle of Death". Holy chit box Batman. This friggin quad flat hauls the MAIL! No doubt in my mind, what so ever, lots more eggs in the basket.

I have two things to report. First is good news, I did not have any "electrical problems" as stated by the previous owner. So I have a new coil and stator that he paid for BONUS!!!
The bad news...I think the previous owner forgot to mention a bent shift fork. As soon as it goes into third gear, it just slips the clutch and the motor revs. If you putt along just off idle in third, the clutch will grab until you grab a handful. My theroy is the bent shift fork is appying pressure thru the shaft on the pressure plate and partially engaging the clutch.

Anyone have this happen before? What did you find? Any input / advise?

Flynbryan19
03-28-2006, 09:01 AM
You don't think it could not just be a bad clutch? Or does it have new clutch plates in it?

maggiesboy
03-28-2006, 09:04 AM
Have you ever had a clutch fail when the bike is only in one gear?

Every clutch that I had go bad, was bad in every gear?

Flynbryan19
03-28-2006, 09:07 AM
I thought that perhaps you were just putting enough strain on it once you got to that gear that it could no longer handle the torque/resistance. I normally didn't notice bad clutches till I was in the higher gears. Will it do the same thing in 4th or 5th? Usually a bad shift fork will just cause missed gears or jumping in and out of gear..... At any rate, good luck and hope you figure it out. I'm pretty fond of 250r's myself. :)

maggiesboy
03-28-2006, 09:11 AM
only 3rd gear is affected. the high gears pull like a mule.

Aceman
03-28-2006, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by maggiesboy
Holy chit box Batman. This friggin quad flat hauls the MAIL! No doubt in my mind, what so ever, lots more eggs in the basket.

I said that exact same thing when I bought my R a week ago. Congrats on your new purchase.

baseballplaya23
03-28-2006, 02:39 PM
hey bill wanna sell me the cap and coil?

metalmellinium
03-28-2006, 06:44 PM
You have any motor work done to it? you gonna race hannegan coming up with it?

250-R-250
03-28-2006, 08:06 PM
I cant wait to finally get to ride mine. ITS SO CLOSE TO BEING DONE!

baseballplaya23......I might have a cap and could for you.pm me

maggiesboy
03-28-2006, 10:12 PM
3rd gear was installed backwards. ain't that a pain in da ***?

maggiesboy
03-28-2006, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by metalmellinium
You have any motor work done to it? you gonna race hannegan coming up with it?

265 long rod motor, yes, and the wife is going to also:eek2: