PDA

View Full Version : 400ex Won't Start...Please Help

StangGT
03-27-2006, 09:25 PM
I pulled my quad out from winter storage and put a new battery in it. It cranked right up and ran decent. I rode it for a few minutes and put it away(I left the gas selector on reserve).

Tried to crank it the next day and couldn't get it started. I killed the battery trying to crank it. It would only sputter for a second then die. I pulled the plug out and cleaned it, but it still wouldn't crank. Finally, I pulled the carb apart and cleaned it and the spark plug again. The bike cranked right up and ran good for a few minutes. Put it away for the night(with the gas selector in the on position.)

Next day, I try to crank it again...won't start. I haven't pulled the plug or carb yet, but I'm assuming it will be the same result as yesterday. Is something in the carb allowing fuel to flow into the motor overnight and flooding it out? I'm trying to sell the quad and it will be hard to convince the new owner to rebuild the carb before riding everday. Any suggestions?

ohsobad_chevy
03-27-2006, 09:53 PM
Put some new gas in it and make sure the fuel switch is in the on position. make sure your air filter is clean as well. Clean it up good and re-oil it, it will cause your quad to do that as well. Let us know man.

03-28-2006, 07:29 PM
is it out of gas :confused:

400exkid05
03-28-2006, 07:55 PM
turn the fuel off and let it run on the fuel off itell it shuts off...then when u go to ride turn the fuel on pump it twice it will start right up had the same probllem

444ex racer
03-28-2006, 09:17 PM
my 2005 honda 400ex wont even start

StangGT
03-30-2006, 10:19 AM
I am able to get the bike cranked. The problem is the plug is being fouled out. If I pull the plug and clean it, the bike will crank right up. If I let it sit overnight with the fuel selector off or on, the bike won't crank in the morning and the plug is fouled again. Some thing must be leaking in the carb and allowing the remaining fuel to fell up the cylinder fouling the plug. Anybody know what may be causing the problem.

400exkid05... did that fix your problem for good, or do you have to go through that routine every time you ride?

The mayor
03-30-2006, 10:42 AM
I had the same problem. Turned out to be a sparkplug. There was still some spark but not enough to keep running. It would sputter and die. Changed it out,and now it runs great.