PDA

View Full Version : I need New Tire Advice! Holeshots?

10-04-2001, 09:14 AM
I just bought a 2001 300EX and I'd like to put some new tires on it. This is my first quad and so I'd like to get some advice.
I've heard good things about the Holeshots. Somewhere I've seen package deals with new back rims and new holeshots.
I rode a quad with holeshots one time and it just felt like it turned better, the stock tires feel like there rolling a little on hard turns.
Does anybody have 2 cents for me?

Thanks,

Joe
Kansas City

DeDo
10-04-2001, 11:44 AM
Joe

I have a 400EX but I think the stock tires are the same. I purchased Holeshot XCT rears from Ronnies (www.ronnies.com) mounted on ITP Edge wheels. I upped the size to 22x11x9 from the 20x10x9 to pick up some more height - I was tanking my skid plate constantly on rocks and getting hung up in mud on ruts.

Depending on the type of riding - I am strictly recreational - I would go with the XCTs and if you are not in a hurry, keep your existing wheels. They are supposed to be pretty good. I ordered new wheels because I did not want to wait to get them mounted. Now I have a set of stock rims that I do not know what to do with...

Everyone says the Holeshots wear quickly but I have had excellent luck with the durability and traction of that tire.

Good luck.

John

kc 300EX
10-04-2001, 01:20 PM
just to let yous know, 400EX stock tires and 300EX stockers are totally different, 300 stock tires are 22", 400 are 20" also

back to the question, I have 22" Holeshot XCTs on my 300EX and i apsolutely love them, the quad handle 100 times better with them, I also got them mounted on T-9 Aluminum rims, im not sure how i like those, i think the stockers were better, but its a lot easier to buy the rims, Ive never even had to put air in my tires yet, since Dec last year, just boldted them on and Ive been ridin them ever since
People say Holshots wear fast, but my dont wear nearly as bad or fast as the stock tires did, plus the XCT's are 6-ply and have never gotten a flat, unlike the stock tires wich went through about 30 plugs, 5 cans of fix-a-flat and a couple bottles of slime, I think Holeshots are great

10-04-2001, 03:15 PM
i ordered me some 20in. holeshots 2 days ago. in my opinion the 22s are too heavy but you shouldnt have any problems with flats. im hoping my new shoes will be alittle tuffer. i have around 15 plugs in my tires right now. and my back left tire is still flat. i ran out of plugs last weekend. i seen those XTC's on my friends banshee and he lost alot of power and acceleration over his old stockers. he also hasn't gotten a flat yet. i'll let yall know how they turn out as soon as i get them. o by the way... they can't wear much faster than those stockers. ive only had mine for around 6 or 7 months and their already slick. but i did ride on the pavement alot. i guess ill stop riding on the roads when i get my new shoes. like i said i'll know more about them next week. i should have them on by then.

trx400ex
10-04-2001, 04:08 PM
i love my holeshot xcs for recreation play mx and all around riding....i will be ordering some 18 inch mxes for racing on a seperate set of wheels..then i will just swap them....holeshots all the way

trx400ex
10-04-2001, 05:03 PM
btw...rocky mountain has awesome package deals, be sure to upgrade the package to 190 rims though. it alot of strenght for only 20$......are your stockers brand new? good luck

10-04-2001, 09:35 PM
Does anyone have any pictures of their 300EX with Holeshots, if so please send or post them?
I think I will get a set, now I'm just not sure what size to get for back, and probably fronts too. Any suggestions, I don't want it to look funky.

Thanks!

4punksdad
10-07-2001, 04:11 PM
I would switch to 20" tires on a 300ex...........try turf tamers, holeshots, razr's, or something similar with a square profile.......here is a pic of a 300EX with 20" bandits.

riz400
10-07-2001, 05:07 PM
I know a lot of people with 300EX's who put the stock 400Ex tires on the back. They are the Ohtsu 20x10x9's. Everyone who made this switch was extremely pleased with the new handling.

10-07-2001, 10:38 PM
Thank You all for the Tire Advice! I've looked around a little bit and have decided to go with the Holeshots the same size as stock 22 x 10-9 knobby. I will also be getting the tire/wheel combo package so I don't have to mess with having the new ones mounted.
I think I will like them best cause I don't want to go to a smaller tire and lose ground clearance.

Thanks,

Joe