PDA

View Full Version : Different Material Skids

Lax
03-27-2006, 07:02 PM
Hey, I was wondering, what would be some good material/ideas on how to create custom skid plates, from material to get from pepboys. It dosnt have to be metal, plastic is fine.

thanks

derekhonda
03-27-2006, 07:07 PM
No, plastic is not fine.:rolleyes:

Lax
03-27-2006, 07:08 PM
Its not for heavy protection, just mainly keeping the mud out. I trail ride light trails, and drag, but want to keep the engine clean.

Hondadudeehhhh
03-27-2006, 07:15 PM
well if you're going to do it, do it right. Plastic won't hold up in "light" trails.

fast_enough
03-27-2006, 07:28 PM
Pep Boys sell milk jugs? Cut them up and... No im just kidding, go to a junkyard and find a old truck with a diamond plate tool box in it, and get the box, and use the lid etc. to make skids.

fandl450r
03-27-2006, 07:36 PM
My maier plastic skidplate holds up to the abuse of the MX track. I would assume it would do the same for light trail riding. Maybe not for the swingarm, but for the engine.

Lax
03-27-2006, 07:52 PM
was it hard to install the plastic skids?

03-27-2006, 08:16 PM
Pretty sure its like any other skid, just plastic.

My YFZ came with on stock, works good, better than what I had on my old quads.. no skids at all.

tat
03-27-2006, 08:49 PM
Go cut yourself a nice big roadsign down. Stop signs work pretty good. Actually if you have a recycling place close to where you live, you can get a good deal on some aluminum at those places.

derekhonda
03-27-2006, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by tat
Go cut yourself a nice big roadsign down. Stop signs work pretty good. Actually if you have a recycling place close to where you live, you can get a good deal on some aluminum at those places.

Are you being serious?

tat
03-27-2006, 09:30 PM
Yes if I see a roadsign laying on the ground, I will stop and pick it up. These things make really good skids. The recycling plants also have a great inventory of sheet aluminum and stainless steel. Have you ever priced new aluminum or stainless sheet. Outragous. You can pick it up at the plants for 1/2 the cost, thats if you have the tools and smart enough to make your own stuff, as many on this site and others do. If you have access to a waterjet and a metal-break, the possibilities are endless. Stop by one day and I will show you the products we have made. No different than AC,PRM or any other product out there. Ours usually fit better than the aftermarket stuff.

JOEX
03-27-2006, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by tat
Yes if I see a roadsign laying on the ground, I will stop and pick it up. These things make really good skids. The recycling plants also have a great inventory of sheet aluminum and stainless steel. Have you ever priced new aluminum or stainless sheet. Outragous. You can pick it up at the plants for 1/2 the cost, thats if you have the tools and smart enough to make your own stuff, as many on this site and others do. If you have access to a waterjet and a metal-break, the possibilities are endless. Stop by one day and I will show you the products we have made. No different than AC,PRM or any other product out there. Ours usually fit better than the aftermarket stuff.
Have you ever thought about returning the signs to the City/County/State Public Works Department?

ex kid
03-28-2006, 09:27 AM
titanium works pretty good. its a tad expensive though

tat
03-28-2006, 11:43 AM
The state collects the downed signs and returns them to the landfill, no sense in throwing good aluminum away.

derekhonda
03-28-2006, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by tat
The state collects the downed signs and returns them to the landfill, no sense in throwing good aluminum away.

That isnt even what you meant in the first place so dont try and cover it up. Yes, there is a difference between using a downed sign and cutting one down to use. Oh and just to clarify....

Go cut yourself a nice big roadsign down.

fandl450r
03-28-2006, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by Lax
was it hard to install the plastic skids?

For the most part no, the clamps are a little difficult to put on but after it was done once it was a breeze. Thickness wise its similiar to a stock skidplate. But at the same time its cut like an aluminum one so it covers the full chasis. Not to many rocks on the MX track.

tat
03-28-2006, 04:07 PM
Man if you only knew. To bad expression can not be seen on the net. So instead of starting something with someone you do not know, go hijack someone elses thread. I was only giving my 2 cents anyway. You were not. If you have a problem with me, PM me and will discuss it. If not drop it.