PDA

View Full Version : 300ex sproket ? Help

bakerboyz
07-28-2002, 07:34 AM
Putting new chain & sprokets on a 300ex. Rear sproket increased to 39 tooth. The chain is too tight. Do you need a bigget chain for the increase in sproket size? ( bigger than 86 links).

Also, how much movement is in the adjustment? We can only spin the adjustment about 1 1/2 ".

Thanks

tprender
07-28-2002, 07:55 AM
You should be able to spin the bearing carrier almost all the way around. The only thing that will keep you from spinning it around is if the sproket is hitting the skid plate. I would first check to make sure that you have the pinch bolts lose enough you might even have to spray some WD40 in the crack by the bolts. Dirt will get in there and cause the carrier not to move. You should be able to move the carrier forward enough for the 3rd slot to be on top.
You might have a proble with the 39T hitting the skid plate if you were using a 38T. The rocks might have pushed the skid plate up some. If you went up one tooth in the front and rear at the same time, maybe the chain might be short. But you can go up one tooth and not need a longer chain most of the time.

bakerboyz
07-28-2002, 08:06 AM
"You should be able to spin the bearing carrier almost all the way around. The only thing that will keep you from spinning it around is if the sproket is hitting the skid plate. I would first check to make sure that you have the pinch bolts lose enough you might even have to spray some WD40 in the crack by the bolts. Dirt will get in there and cause the carrier not to move. You should be able to move the carrier forward enough for the 3rd slot to be on top."

we can not even spin it enough to get the second (middle) slot on the top. Do you think we should open the rear?

bakerboyz
07-28-2002, 08:13 AM
Here is a picture of the most we can loosen it.

07-28-2002, 09:16 AM
I just went and compared your pic to my 300 adjustment. I don't know if it should go farther but mine stops when the last adjustment slot lines up with the bottom of the sticker on the carrier (roughly).

bakerboyz
07-28-2002, 01:36 PM
wwhhooooppppyyyyyy

With your help & my new found EXriders knowledge, I went to the garage and got it to work.

I took the sproket off, loosened the allen screws and with some WD40 I was able to work it back and forth until I got to the range you described. Chain is fine now.

The EX riders have just saved me a $40 sprocket.

Thanks