PDA

View Full Version : worn cylinder

jeremy_283
03-27-2006, 06:51 PM
if the gap between your piston and cylinder wall is to much wat do u do?........ the real question is............. can u show me the relationship or explain.... resleeving, boring,and an over bore piston? please?

jeremy_283
03-27-2006, 07:01 PM
also if there is a 1/8th inch gap between the piston and the cylinder wall wat do i do?

04'400ex'er
03-27-2006, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by extremejrowe
if the gap between your piston and cylinder wall is to much wat do u do?........ the real question is............. can u show me the relationship or explain.... resleeving, boring,and an over bore piston? please? If you have an 05' you shouldnt have any problems yet???

If the sleeve is worn you will have to take the stock jug to a machine shop and have them bore it out to an overbore size of your choice. Then you will need to buy an overbore piston to fit your sleeve. You will not need to re-sleeve unless you decide on a 440.

jeremy_283
03-27-2006, 07:17 PM
apparently i ride more then most people can even dream of..... if everyone takes a couple laps then stop for a bit like i see at local mx tracks then yes... yes i ride way more..... i do stop occasionally just because riding my quad for an hour or two around an mx track without stopping worries me about toasting somthing in my engine.... i warped my brand new barnett friction disc once at an mx track... and i dont slip my clutch much either to cause that

jeremy_283
03-27-2006, 07:23 PM
and i also wanna get it bored just big enough to solve my problem.... no big bores 4 me... i wish i had one of them timer things to see how many hours are on my quad.... a guess 4 me wuld be at least 700 hours considering i ride each day after school till dark and then i ride all weekend every weekend .....is that a lot of hours?

ogre
03-27-2006, 07:27 PM
After 2nd gear is it better to shift without using the clutch? is it easier on your clutch or does it matter

jeremy_283
03-27-2006, 07:29 PM
wat forum u lookin 4? but watever .... always shift wit clutch ......easier on the transmission

ogre
03-27-2006, 07:43 PM
Im in the right forum. I have a 400ex, ive just heard of people not using thier clutch all the time

6858-400ex
03-27-2006, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by ogre
Im in the right forum. I have a 400ex, ive just heard of people not using thier clutch all the time

SOME PEOPLE ARE COMPLETE DUMBASSES

04'400ex'er
03-27-2006, 08:15 PM
and i also wanna get it bored just big enough to solve my problem.... no big bores 4 me... i wish i had one of them timer things to see how many hours are on my quad.... a guess 4 me wuld be at least 700 hours considering i ride each day after school till dark and then i ride all weekend every weekend .....is that a lot of hours? Well a 406 would be the next size up from stock... If I were you I would go to a 416 with a 11:1 comp piston. You would still have one bore on the stock sleeve and the power would be on tap!

jeremy_283
03-27-2006, 08:17 PM
if u wear out the cylinder on a 440kit and there are no more overbores can u just resleeve it?

4everhonda
03-27-2006, 08:47 PM
I shift with no clutch after first, it wont hurt a thing if you know how to time it right. Ive had mine since 2002 and no problems. Ive been riding it that way since I got it. Obviously whoever says that people who shift without clutch are dumbasses is the real dumbass. Most street bikes recomend to not use the clutch after first.

jeremy_283
03-27-2006, 09:06 PM
!PRAY WITH ME!:please ,please ,please ; god almighty help these two idiots realize that they are in the wrong post.... as an example Quote: "after second gear is it better to shift without using the clutch?" ......... this post is titled "worn cylinder"...... not "how to shift" ...... and no-one is calling anybody a dumbass for asking a question they are calling you a DUMBASS BECAUSE YOU ARE IN THE WRONG POST! .................................................. ..

- enough said

jeremy_283
03-27-2006, 09:16 PM
man ........ i bet 4everhonda and ogre havn't even adjusted their 400's powerband yet to get maximum power and torque...... and everyone knows its the cheapest and best way to get the horses needed from the 400's ..... why does honda even have the 400's power band adjusted so badly anways?

ogre
03-27-2006, 09:57 PM
I apologize for asking a question in this thread. shoulda started a new one! I shoudnt have come in on extremejrowe bragging on how he has put 700 hours on his quad. "after school on weekends", maybe you should quit school and ride during those hours. Maybe you could get to a 1000 hours quicker

ohsobad_chevy
03-27-2006, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by 6858-400ex
SOME PEOPLE ARE COMPLETE DUMBASSES

Dude, Its not that big a deal. Taking this way too serious.

lafinrat
03-27-2006, 10:36 PM
also if there is a 1/8th inch gap between the piston and the cylinder wall wat do i do?

back on topic. if you have 1/8" skirt to wall clearance, you have serious problems. that's beyond the limit of the stock liner. if you're looking at the top of the piston, there will always be a lot of clearance--even with a new piston and fresh bore. not 1/8", but a noticable gap. you have to pull the cylinder and measure the skirt clearance to accurately determine the condition.

anyway, options are to bore the stock liner. you can go up to 88mm (426cc). Ross doesn't receommend over a 87mm (416cc my favorite) without a new sleeve, but a lot of people do it reliably. or you can install a sleeve and go to 440cc and beyond. happy trails

jeremy_283
03-27-2006, 10:37 PM
yes..... yes u shuldnt have butted in on my bragging about how i put 700 hours on my quad! i really did not appreciate it! ..... it was my time in the spotlight! GOSH ..... WAT IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE ANYMORE RIGHT? frekin idiots............ i am quiting school when i turn 16 just to get to 100 hours quicker....... are u that one kid from my school that i told i was quiting to put 1000 hours on my quad quicker? I love anger i have learned to feed off of it since that is the vibe i get from everyone i see...... go ahead... insult me ... ogre ... i will still brag about somthing totally pointless.... oh yea.... how many bolts have you stripped out on your quad... bet u havent stripped out as many as i have! :) .......... while im typing and anger is building..... let me say to the PETA people that when i ride i aim for the fluffiest and furriest animals on the trail and try to make them have a slow painfull death....... i have hit a squirrel,bird, field mouse, and a turtle...... my friend once hit a dear that was laying on the other side of a fallen tree..... as for the tree huggers........ if i had a nickle for every tree i cut down....................................

jeremy_283
03-27-2006, 10:38 PM
ok lafinrat i was still typing why u were getting back on topic ok..... so on topic.... but one of the others is still gunna prolly type back a reply on here to rebound off my comments

jeremy_283
03-27-2006, 10:40 PM
the shop said they couldnt even use a feeler gauge to check the gap.... these guys are not ur warranty type bullsh*t sorta people either... they're honest..... i hope

jeremy_283
03-27-2006, 10:44 PM
i am goin with the smallest bore possible .... just because... i hope thats a good enough reason..... well i think thats wat i will do...... if i resleeved and crap and then wore out a 440 kit and there were no more overbores for it can i just resleeve it?

lafinrat
03-27-2006, 11:01 PM
if you wore out the 440 piston, you could press in a new sleeve, and refit another new piston. or..........Ross and some others i believe make over sized 440 pistons. like .25mm and .50mm over.

if you wanna keep the stock sleeve, i'd recommend the Ross 87mm piston (416cc). it makes a nice reliable motor with lots of cylinder liner left to resist distortion. power potential is definately there with the right parts to compliment the piston. you might wanna think about upgraded head studs while you're into it.

underpowered
03-28-2006, 05:55 AM
Originally posted by 04'400ex'er

If the sleeve is worn you will have to take the stock jug to a machine shop and have them bore it out to an overbore size of your choice. Then you will need to buy an overbore piston to fit your sleeve. You will not need to re-sleeve unless you decide on a 440.

Got it backward. you have to buy the piston first, then have it bored to the exact size fo the piston as there are some machining differences in every piston. they can vary by a few thousanths of and inch, which can make a world of difference. once you have the piston, have it bored and unless you request a special tollerance, alot of shops bore it to a normal one (our shop does .003 tollerance). You need to have your cylinder measured with a micrometer to see how bad it is worn, your local dealer whould be able to do this. You need to do this first to see if it needs to be bored, and second to see what size is teh next smallest. sometimes you can get away with a .010 larger, but usually you have to go atleast .020.

ANd for the shifting with no clutch thing. It is fine to shift UP without the clutch, not gonna hurt anything as long as you are not just beating on the tranny. However, do not shift down without the clutch, this causes much more strain on the tranny.

4everhonda
03-28-2006, 08:37 AM
I am running a 406cc (86mm) JE piston and I have had no problems so far. I bumped up my compression a little to get some extra power. I believe you can also get stock overbores .25 or .50 mm over. I always deal with C&D racing for that type of stuff. They might have to special order it but you will have a greatly reliable motor again.

jeremy_283
03-28-2006, 02:57 PM
i am gettin a weisco piston 86mm

04'400ex'er
03-28-2006, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by underpowered
Got it backward. you have to buy the piston first, then have it bored to the exact size fo the piston as there are some machining differences in every piston.
That would be the tightest way to build...correct. But in the past I have been fine boreing to the specs of the piston size. I might have been lucky and ended up with the right piston clearances for the bore but they all worked out fine. Informitive post though...;)