PDA

View Full Version : case saver

TRX23rider
03-27-2006, 05:18 PM
i just got a a 15t sprocket for my 05 400ex. i thought that i would not have to worry about the case saver but the chain is rubbing against it. what should i do with it? I was thinking i could grind a little of it away but i was not sure if that would be safe.

Huzler
03-27-2006, 05:20 PM
i thnk it would be ok but im not an expert and id try to keep a clean look to it

NacsMXer
03-27-2006, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by TRX23rider
i just got a a 15t sprocket for my 05 400ex. i thought that i would not have to worry about the case saver but the chain is rubbing against it. what should i do with it? I was thinking i could grind a little of it away but i was not sure if that would be safe.

Yeah it would be fine to just take a grinder to it. That's what I had to do to make my Nac's case saver fit my 16T front sprocket. I put the case saver in a vise and used a stone-type grinder attached to a variable speed drill. I just kept grinding and test fitting until everything cleared. There's still plenty of it left for it to do its job too.

TRX23rider
03-27-2006, 06:28 PM
alright! i will do that tomorow

Blue_Streak23
03-28-2006, 01:11 PM
You got the sprocket Tim?:eek2:

Rip_Tear
03-28-2006, 03:59 PM
Just curious why are you guys going so big in the front and not just going with a smaller rear or bigger tires?

NacsMXer
03-28-2006, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by Rip_Tear
Just curious why are you guys going so big in the front and not just going with a smaller rear or bigger tires?

I'm running a 16T front because I got tired of zipping through each gear in like a second. I was always up/downshifting and in between gears on the MX track running 18's out back. Felt like I was riding a 2 stroke. I tried 15/38, 15/36 and 15/39 and was not satisfied. After I got my motor rebuilt, I now have the torque to pull a larger 16T front just like it was a 15T.

I get the advantage of using more of each gear which really complements my engine's powerband. I'm running 16/38 right now and it's the best combination I have run so far. That 16T may feel a bit doggy on another 400, but it works awesome with this stroker setup.

TRX23rider
03-28-2006, 05:39 PM
yeah im just experimenting to see what i like.

i did a little grinding on the case saver and it still seems to rubbing. there is still more room to grind it down but i think it might be a different problem. When i have it on there loosly and spin the rear tires it moves around and makes noise. Anyone got any ideas?

TRX23rider
03-30-2006, 04:03 PM
i just grinded it quite a bit and it is still grinding. is it safe to ride without a saver or shoudl i keep grinding until it dosent rub?

04'400ex'er
03-30-2006, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by TRX23rider
i just grinded it quite a bit and it is still grinding. is it safe to ride without a saver or shoudl i keep grinding until it dosent rub? Just look at it and see how much is rubbing or where it is rubbing at. then grind it down a little. It will run fine without one...but you better hope the chain dont jump...Or you could very possibly be buying a case. I personally wouldnt reccomend it.

TRX23rider
03-30-2006, 04:21 PM
i cant find exactly where it is rubbing. ive grinded down a decent amount already. im gonna go out now and see if i can get it running.

TRX23rider
03-30-2006, 05:01 PM
i grinded it down to almost nothing and it is still rubbing a little and it screeches when i pull it backwards. do you think it will wear down from the chain and that i have grinded it enough?

jeremy_283
03-30-2006, 06:15 PM
i would just leave it alone and let it tear your chain apart within the next week..... it will be rubbed down to a peice of wire with pins every now and then..........also it is an aluminum case saver softish metal really........ u shuld be ok...... but thanks ...... thanks a lot....... now when i get my quad back from the shop i can be paranoid about my case saver too............just kidden...... not tryin to stir anything up. im just bein a @ss

EXevan91
03-30-2006, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by extremejrowe
i would just leave it alone and let it tear your chain apart within the next week..... it will be rubbed down to a peice of wire with pins every now and then..........also it is an aluminum case saver softish metal really........ u shuld be ok...... but thanks ...... thanks a lot....... now when i get my quad back from the shop i can be paranoid about my case saver too............just kidden...... not tryin to stir anything up. im just bein a @ss

u are an as and a post whore to u quaddrupul poster