PDA

View Full Version : lug nut wont come off

foxr
03-27-2006, 03:43 PM
on my 400ex the lug nut will not come off, the stud spins in the hub... what are my options?

4TraxRider
03-27-2006, 04:47 PM
I can't remember if the head of the stud was big enough to get vice grips on or not, but that's an option. You could cut the nut off and pound the stud out, or buy a new hub:ermm:

foxr
03-27-2006, 04:57 PM
if i could get it off would it be ok to torq down the other 3 to normal spec and the 4th lug tighten it to like 10lbs untill i can get it fixed?

xsr_racing28c
03-27-2006, 05:17 PM
I wouldn't half *** a job involving whether or not your front or rear tires stay on your machine.. Do it right the first time.. something like a lug nut not being tight can be just the start to many problems to follow. Theres a reason honda makes 4 lug hubs and not 3... get what i'm saying

CannondaleRider
03-27-2006, 05:27 PM
I'm not sure how the 400EX's are designed.

But we had the same problem with a Cannondale stud....I just unbolted the Caliper on that side, took out the banjo bolt, then pulled the whole hub/wheel/caliper setup off.

Then you must take out the rotor bolts, to get the rotor and caliper out of the wheel.

Then you have room to attempt to keep the stud from spinning(shoving something in the edge of the stud, welding, etc.)

I then "modified" the studs so I would not have to find replacements. Instead of just putting the stripped studs in there, I put I piece of safety wire in between the stud and the hub. Had to "persuade" it to go in, but once it went in, there was no way it would spin later on.

Hope that helps

250xridamatt
03-27-2006, 06:30 PM
Its never fun to have lug nuts come off... That was a fun way to end practice wednesday night. I wasnt injured, but my rim is destroyed. Time to replace the old beadlocks I guess.

foxr
03-27-2006, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by xsr_racing28c
I wouldn't half *** a job involving whether or not your front or rear tires stay on your machine.. Do it right the first time.. something like a lug nut not being tight can be just the start to many problems to follow. Theres a reason honda makes 4 lug hubs and not 3... get what i'm saying

do it right the first time yeah when i do it. but its fine right now cause it looks like it wont be coming off untill i need it off. you really think that if 1 lug nut is not to full torq spec out of the 4 lug nuts my rear wheel is going to fall off?

buddy of mine with a old fullsize car(monte carlo), most of the studs busted off in the front, 1 front wheel had 3 lugs and the other had 4 with no problem and he drove that car pretty hard for 2 years or so with no problems whatsoever.

a 5 lug car can safley be driven using 4

JW450R1
03-28-2006, 03:56 AM
when u tightened down 4 lug nuts the center point is the hub.there's really no center point now.i would still get it fixed.is it the front or rear?.

foxr
03-28-2006, 06:40 AM
its the rear

knelson
03-28-2006, 09:26 AM
spot weld the back of the stud, when you get off the lug nut grind off the weld and replace the stud:)

Scro
03-28-2006, 09:42 AM
Running on 3 studs is not that big of a deal. One of mine broke off my rear hub about a year ago, and I'm still using the same hub with no worries;)

300exOH
03-28-2006, 09:46 AM
You could even try using a dremel to cut a slot in the back of the stud so you can use a large flat head screwdriver to keep it from spinning while you remove the lug nut.

duke416ex
03-28-2006, 09:53 AM
I have had to deal with this a couple times. I took the the hub off and spot welded the back one time to keep it from moving and then just grinded the spot welds off. Another time I took an air grinder and cut the stud and it just fell off.

Aceman
03-28-2006, 07:39 PM
Weld a nut onto the back of the stud. Remove the lug nut now and knock the stud out. This way no grinding is involved and your not welding on your hub.

400exrider707
03-28-2006, 08:10 PM
I've seen a 400ex run pretty hard on the trails with only 2 lugs holding it on. Held tight all day and had no problems. Not that I would recommend this at all, but if you had to you could get by on 2 of them.

bwamos
03-29-2006, 01:31 PM
If the lug nut is still in, and it's not loosened up it should be fine.

We had the same thing happen on my riding partners 300ex. We jsut took a dremmel w/ a cutoff saw and cut a groove in the stuck lug nut on opposite sides (parrallel to the lug bolt). Cut it about 3/4 of the way through, then gave it a few whacks with a flatbladed screwdriver in the slot. Popped the lug nut right off. We replaced the log bolt that stripped out on the hub with a high strength steel bolt and nut.

He's been running it that way for about 4 years w/o issue. And he's a big boy (270+). He rides jsut as hard as I do, and he does it on stock suspension.. lol. So his hubs are certianly taking a beating.