PDA

View Full Version : Bearing Carrier stuck!?

Porkchop
07-26-2002, 04:40 PM
I need some help guys!! My bearing carrier is stuck, I've tried putting a block at the end of hit and hitting it out and it wont work:( And then when I adjusting it up or down (loose or tighten the chain) and it barely moves :rolleyes: It wont slide out! Any help?

400exRacerX
07-26-2002, 04:51 PM
Is the axle out of the carrier? If it is try to heat the carrier up alittle and try to keep away from the swingarm, then tap it out.

Netx time coat it with grease;)

ajr400ex
07-26-2002, 04:57 PM
Try spraying it with WD40 or a penetrating fluid. There is o-rings that go on the outside of the carrier that get dried out then it makes it harder to remove the carrier. I am assuming you are trying to remove the carrier for maintenance. Be sure to grease the o-rings good when you put it back together. I used a rubber mallet to knock mine out.

yamaha1470
07-28-2002, 06:39 AM
umm sorry to be an idiot but i hear a lot abt 400ex's bearing carriers wearing out prematurley. What is it?

Mxbubs
07-28-2002, 10:53 AM
Dude, get a bigger hammer. There is no technique.

07-28-2002, 11:00 AM
I'm assuming you did it already, but I'm going to ask anyhow. Did you remove the large snap ring from the right side (brake rotor side) of the carrier? If not, then the carrier won't come out, as the job of the snap ring is to keep it in place.

If you are running a skid plate or the bolts are simply threaded into the swingarm, remove the two rear skid bolts. Sometimes the two rear swingarm skid bolts are long enough to go through and touch the carrier, causing difficult chain adjustment and almost impossible carrier removal.

Take the swingarm pinch bolts (the ones you loosen to adjust the chain) completely out of the swingarm. The swingarm may need to open up a bit to let the carrier slide out and even though the pinch bolts are loose, they will not let the swingarm open up enough to get the carrier out unless they are completely out of the threads.

You're problem sounds like it could be one of those first three things, but if it isn't, then spray WD-40 into every crevice you can find around the carrier. Then work the carrier back and forth (like you are loosening and tightening the chain) to work the WD-40 in good. Let it set a few minutes and then see if it will come out.

07-28-2002, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by yamaha1470
umm sorry to be an idiot but i hear a lot abt 400ex's bearing carriers wearing out prematurley. What is it?

It's because Honda riders are going faster, and therefore, are harder on parts:rolleyes: :D :blah :p :D. Just kidding. Seriously though, the carrier could be made better. In a perfect world (man wouldn't that be nice?!) the stock bearing carrier would be forged instead of cast, and it would use dual row bearings (instead of single row) or single row tapered bearings.

jwisniew
07-29-2002, 10:43 AM
make sure the stopper bolt is out