PDA

View Full Version : Walking the track?

drybranch
03-27-2006, 12:44 PM
I know that this belongs in the racing section but thought it would get more replies here.
How many of you walk a XC track before racing it and do you do it the morning of. I ask this b/c the tracks seem to be pretty long and just wonder how necessary it is. I am planning on starting racing XC and just want to learn as much as possible.

Scro
03-27-2006, 12:47 PM
Very few people walk the entire track the day of the race. If the track is already layed out the day before, it would be better to walk it then so you will have a good night rest.

But, then again, many people don't walk it at all.

400exrules
03-27-2006, 12:51 PM
we just walk like the first half mile, or the first few turns

03-27-2006, 01:23 PM
id walk a little of it like 400exrules says but walking all of it will wear you out so you cant race as well. walking a litttle of it can give you an idea of what tires to run and how well to get your mindset in for actual track conditions.

Rob Dob
03-27-2006, 02:19 PM
If you can get to the track the day before and have time to walk, do it and make mental notes of all the tricky spots and places to pass. Walk thru the tall grassy sections and make sure there are no hidden rocks or stumps (most people won't pull off into those areas, it can be a great place to pass). If you are in good enough shape, ride a bicycle around the track, it will go by much quicker. If you can't get there until the morning of the race, walk the first 1/2 mile or ride a practice lap if they will let you. ;)

miller821
03-27-2006, 02:21 PM
Ya just walk the first lil bit, so you can try and get the lead and get out in front...