2004400exa
03-27-2006, 08:45 AM
just a simple qes plz answer if u guys can

Rob Dob
03-27-2006, 08:52 AM
8 cylinders (V8) vrs 6 cylinders (V6)

PismoLocal
03-27-2006, 09:41 AM
Number of cylinders, gas mileage, and usually power.

00400exrider
03-27-2006, 01:54 PM
v6=slow with some mods could be kinda quick,v8=more power,torque,and fast either way bone stock or bored and stroked:cool:

sly400ex
03-27-2006, 02:00 PM
2 cylinders

Honda4trax250x
03-27-2006, 02:14 PM
the men from the boys

miller821
03-27-2006, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by sly400ex
2 cylinders

Giz400ex
03-27-2006, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by sly400ex
2 cylinders 2 more cyl, more gas:ermm:

underpowered
03-27-2006, 03:21 PM
Displacement:D A v-6 is just that, a 6 cylinder engine with three cylinders on each side in a v shape. and a V8 is the same but with 8 cylinders. most are of the 90 degree variety, but there are some variation such as the 60 degree.

"There is no replacement for displacement":devil:
and "cubic inches separate the men from the boys";)

250R4EVR
03-27-2006, 03:59 PM
Pm me for my 8 year old sisters number. She can tell ya the differance. :blah:

MOFO
03-27-2006, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by underpowered
Displacement:D A v-6 is just that, a 6 cylinder engine with three cylinders on each side in a v shape. and a V8 is the same but with 8 cylinders. most are of the 90 degree variety, but there are some variation such as the 60 degree.

"There is no replacement for displacement":devil:
and "cubic inches separate the men from the boys";)

The # of cylinders really does not affect the displacement. You can have a V6 that has more cubic inches than a smaller V8. Look a the indy motors for an example.

I cant believe this was a serious question from the word go... :huh

Butters
03-27-2006, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by MOFO
The # of cylinders really does not affect the displacement. You can have a V6 that has more cubic inches than a smaller V8. Look a the indy motors for an example.

nosliw
03-27-2006, 04:10 PM
only exceptions are the GN V6 and the Cummins I6

Butters
03-27-2006, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by nosliw
only exceptions are the GN V6 and the Cummins I6

exceptions to what?

400exrules
03-27-2006, 04:30 PM
food for thought, their is also a V5, i cant remember who makes it, i think its nissan

MOFO
03-27-2006, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by 400exrules
food for thought, their is also a V5, i cant remember who makes it, i think its nissan

There is NO V5...only an inline 5. You must have the same number of cylinders on each side of the bank to create the proper "V" configuration.

Giz400ex
03-27-2006, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by 400exrules
food for thought, their is also a V5, i cant remember who makes it, i think its nissan Volvo makes a 5:D

trx400exxracer
03-27-2006, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by Giz400ex
Volvo makes a 5:D

which would be a 5 cylinder but not a v5 like MOFO said

MOFO
03-27-2006, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by Giz400ex
Volvo makes a 5:D

So does GM, VW...etc. Its an INLINE 5.

wilkin250r
03-27-2006, 05:18 PM
What's wrong with a V5? I'm sure it would be perfectly balanced... :rolleyes:

SheenaBalls
03-27-2006, 05:22 PM
hmhm...v6 a lot less of a gas hogg..!

Aceman
03-27-2006, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by SheenaBalls
hmhm...v6 a lot less of a gas hogg..!

Not necessarily, sometimes smaller engines use more fuel trying to move an automobile around then a larger engine with more power.

troutman561
03-27-2006, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by Aceman
Not necessarily, sometimes smaller engines use more fuel trying to move an automobile around then a larger engine with more power.

I agree, my tundra with a v-8 gets pretty much the same gas mileage my ford ranger did with the 3.0 v6

underpowered
03-27-2006, 05:47 PM

THis i know, but generaly speaking. I know there were some tiny v-8's and some pretty big sixes, but for the most part and 8 is bigger than a 6. but there are also the littl V-10's that usually dont have any more CID than an 8.

as for theV-5, no such thing to my knowledge. There is an I-5 like previously mentioned. There are so many types of engines it isnt even funny. The wankle motor, Inline 2,3,4,5,6,8, V motors, Pancake motors (VW and Subaru style), ect, ect.......

MOFO
03-27-2006, 06:27 PM
Pancake motors (VW and Subaru style), ect, ect.......

To the rest of the automotive world, these motors are called Boxer motors (cylinder banks are at 180 degree's). VW did not use these motors nearly as much as Subaru and Porsche....only in their early aircooled applications.

MOFO
03-27-2006, 06:28 PM

as for theV-5, no such thing to my knowledge.

Dont think too hard... there is NO such thing. As mentioned above SEVERAL times.

Hondadudeehhhh
03-27-2006, 06:29 PM
all i know is GM made a mistake gettign rid of the vortec v6. I drove my friend's h3 and that thing seems dangerously slow. I've driven my others friend's blazer and its a pretty nice motor (the v6). I really like that z71 canyon, its a nice looking truck but i would def need to see how the I5 powers that thing. I just no i wouldnt want to try to get on an on ramp with the h3.

Im also wondering why ford got rid of their I6? Everyone i talk to said its the best 6 cyl motor ever made. I woul imagine it lacks power but when a motor lasts until 300,000 miles why get rid of it? My cousin hates his 4.2 v6 in his f150

MOFO
03-27-2006, 06:30 PM
THis i know, but generaly speaking. I know there were some tiny v-8's and some pretty big sixes, but for the most part and 8 is bigger than a 6. but there are also the littl V-10's that usually dont have any more CID than an 8.

Ok, so you proved my point. :huh

Just because a motor has more cylinders than another motor does not mean it has a higher displacement.

MOFO
03-27-2006, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by Hondadudeehhhh
all i know is GM made a mistake gettign rid of the vortec v6. I drove my friend's h3 and that thing seems dangerously slow. I've driven my others friend's blazer and its a pretty nice motor (the v6). I really like that z71 canyon, its a nice looking truck but i would def need to see how the I5 powers that thing. I just no i wouldnt want to try to get on an on ramp with the h3.

Im also wondering why ford got rid of their I6? Everyone i talk to said its the best 6 cyl motor ever made. I woul imagine it lacks power but when a motor lasts until 300,000 miles why get rid of it? My cousin hates his 4.2 v6 in his f150

The new I5 made by GM is a decent motor for proper applications (ie small trucks). The H3 is too much for that motor. GM screwed up. The H3 should have had a small V8 (5.3L) as an option or a beefed up I5.

My work truck has the 4.3 V6 in a 1500 1/2 ton pickup. I can tell you first hand this motor is a dog in this truck. My personal truck has the 5.3 and its a night and day difference. Put the 4.3 in a small truck and it runs great.

Hondadudeehhhh
03-27-2006, 06:33 PM
Ok, so you proved my point. :huh

Just because a motor has more cylinders than another motor does not mean it has a higher displacement.

Mercedes puts those small v10 motors in their cars for the comfortable/quiet ride right?

underpowered
03-27-2006, 06:37 PM
To the rest of the automotive world, these motors are called Boxer motors (cylinder banks are at 180 degree's). VW did not use these motors nearly as much as Subaru and Porsche....only in their early aircooled applications.

Ok, so you proved my point!
Is there some specific reason why you are picking every one of my post to death? and the Pancake motors, AKA boxer motors, is just a term. like a Wankel is commonly known as a rotary even though it is really called a wankel after its inventor. Most people knew what i what talking. Atleast where i come from they are known as a pancake motor, not a boxer. ANd i said to my knowledge on the v5 because you never knowm there may be one out there:rolleyes:

MOFO
03-27-2006, 06:39 PM
Ok, so you proved my point!
Is there some specific reason why you are picking every one of my post to death? and the Pancake motors, AKA boxer motors, is just a term. like a Wankel is commonly known as a rotary even though it is really called a wankel after its inventor. Most people knew what i what talking. Atleast where i come from they are known as a pancake motor, not a boxer. ANd i said to my knowledge on the v5 because you never knowm there may be one out there:rolleyes:

I'm not picking your posts apart or picking on you... it just so happens your posts are either wrong or have incorrect information. Please do not try to educate me on motors or the history of motors. Your wasting your time - especially seeing some of your "knowledge" posted above.

If you understood how motors actually worked... you would know a V5 would not work. Please see Wilkins post above. Its rather simple.

BTW, how did I prove your point? I've yet to see anything with real substance that is correct. :confused:

...then again, you do come from "the short bus". That pretty much explains everything. :D ;)

underpowered
03-27-2006, 06:43 PM
I'm not picking your posts apart or picking on you... it just so happens your posts are either wrong or have incorrect information.

If you understood how motors actually worked... you would know a V5 would not work. Please see Wilkins post above. Its rather simple.

i know motors inside and out, from atvs to cars. The information i have posted is correct, none hase been wrong. Oh yeah, check out the volkswagen V5 motor, yup, a real V5.
http://www.stellenbosch.co.za/story.php?name=VW%20Jetta%20V5&main_item=31&navid=44&clientfolder=stellenbosch

MOFO
03-27-2006, 06:46 PM
i know motors inside and out, from atvs to cars. The information i have posted is correct, none hase been wrong. Oh yeah, check out the volkswagen V5 motor, yup, a real V5.
http://www.stellenbosch.co.za/story.php?name=VW%20Jetta%20V5&main_item=31&navid=44&clientfolder=stellenbosch

That is interesting, however there is a reason why that motor never made it anywhere and they are using the INLINE 5.

I guess you learn something new everyday. :eek2:

underpowered
03-27-2006, 06:56 PM
That is interesting, however there is a reason why that motor never made it anywhere and they are using the INLINE 5.

I guess you learn something new everyday. :eek2:

I never said it was good, but just saying it is possible. I try not to shoot any idea's down without checking the possibly of it existing first. Lets agree to dissagree on some points. pretty much, you say patato, i say 'tater in this case. WE are both talking about the same stuff just in differnt terms. Nowhere along the line have i posted incorrect info, just some that a few might not understand. I know how an engine works, what it takes to make one work. Please dont insult my inteligence until you understand as well.

Giz400ex
03-27-2006, 06:57 PM
Settle down....kids!:D j/k

MOFO
03-27-2006, 07:01 PM
Please dont insult my inteligence until you understand as well.

If you are going to claim to have intelligence, you might want to learn how to spell it. ;)

I would love to see how they balanced that V5.

I guess its just another application of the VR6 block.

underpowered
03-27-2006, 07:07 PM
If you are going to claim to have intelligence, you might want to learn how to spell it. ;)

I would love to see how they balanced that V5.

I guess its just another application of the VR6 block.

Intelligence and typing ability are two different things.:D i claimed intelligence, i never claimed i could type. :macho

TheX1992
03-27-2006, 09:18 PM
Phbbt I had a V5 in my old Chevy truck. The number 3 cylinder was dead ;)

kawasaki_ridah
03-27-2006, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by 00400exrider
v6=slow with some mods could be kinda quick,v8=more power,torque,and fast either way bone stock or bored and stroked:cool:

nope totally wrong my car stock a 3.5 l has the same hp as a 94-02 Z28 Camaro and is much lighter so it tears it up in the 1/4.. now with my goodies i'm not scared of any V8

00400exrider
03-28-2006, 10:23 AM
but the newer cars are slower then my g-ma.american muscle with the true hemi. the big block 396,the boss 427 are what you are looking for not a newer 94-02 chevy camaro,the new mustang gt's,and the charger with the"hemi" bull anything newer is junk,newer cars dont make the numbers like american muscle, idc what anyone say's about there import being fast cuz ill tell you right now anybodys import is not fast.tell me some ones 2005 mustang is fast.its not,a 2007 camaro.nope not a at.but tell me a 1969 yenko camaro is fast ill belive you.a 1968 shelby gt 500 is fast ill belive you,and a dodge charger is fast and once again ill belive you.if gm,ford,and mopar,would of stayed with the older style cars, these imported pieces of s**t would be taking over the american cars,and all of these kids supporting it by buying one and dumping $20,000.is killing the american car.

03-28-2006, 11:49 AM
lol my dad has a 6 in his F-150 2wd THAT THING SUCKS! 202hp!! :huh

i put an AirAid intake system in it BIG difference. But still 202hp! :huh my moms 05 toyota avalon has 280hp :D

i drive my moms car alot and she ask me yesterday why her tires were going bald
lol i said "idk" :D

kawasaki_ridah
03-28-2006, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by 00400exrider
but the newer cars are slower then my g-ma.american muscle with the true hemi. the big block 396,the boss 427 are what you are looking for not a newer 94-02 chevy camaro,the new mustang gt's,and the charger with the"hemi" bull anything newer is junk,newer cars dont make the numbers like american muscle, idc what anyone say's about there import being fast cuz ill tell you right now anybodys import is not fast.tell me some ones 2005 mustang is fast.its not,a 2007 camaro.nope not a at.but tell me a 1969 yenko camaro is fast ill belive you.a 1968 shelby gt 500 is fast ill belive you,and a dodge charger is fast and once again ill belive you.if gm,ford,and mopar,would of stayed with the older style cars, these imported pieces of s**t would be taking over the american cars,and all of these kids supporting it by buying one and dumping $20,000.is killing the american car.

dude this made me laugh like seriously i have 30,000 (including car) in a brand new 350z and i can run low 12s, maybe even 11s with slicks. if you think that isn't fast you have to be the most retarted person ever. you apperently don't even know anything about american cars either, the new z06 can run in the 10s stock, is that not fast to you? I hate to break it to you but even the older muscle cars can't hang with a stock STI of Evo.

fast_enough
03-28-2006, 10:06 PM
V-8 is a popular vegetable beverage, V-6 is a motor. DUH
j/k I think you guys have pretty well covered the difference.

SGA
03-28-2006, 10:46 PM
This is a good thread about engines and if there is one thing I learned years ago, it is "Never say there is no such thing because someone will come along and show you one" :D

If I remember correctly, there were some v-16's and some inline 8's or 10's on some old rolls royce/ bentley/ cadillac type cars back in the 30's.
At the bottom of this link you can click on other types of engines.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V16_engine

A general rule is the more cylinders, the smoother (less vibration) the engine is. My uncle used to drive some of them. He said you could not even feel the engine running.

cabex
03-29-2006, 12:31 AM
Ok I this is probably a stupid post, but i have to say it, theres a few of you that say you kow SO much about motors and are refuring to fuel powered devices. The only motors that are in cars are in the hybrids, or an electric. Motors are electric, ENGINES are fuel powered

TGW_400ex
03-29-2006, 04:29 AM
Originally posted by cabex
Ok I this is probably a stupid post, but i have to say it, theres a few of you that say you kow SO much about motors and are refuring to fuel powered devices. The only motors that are in cars are in the hybrids, or an electric. Motors are electric, ENGINES are fuel powered

Are you trying to tick people off or is it just me?

trick450r
03-29-2006, 04:37 AM
Originally posted by TGW_400ex
Are you trying to tick people off or is it just me?

hes just being a smartass...but when your trying to be a smartass and your right, theirs no problem...lol

MOFO
03-29-2006, 05:08 AM

:rolleyes:

Main Entry: 1mo·tor
Pronunciation: 'mO-t&r
Function: noun
Etymology: Latin, from movEre to move
1 : one that imparts motion; specifically : PRIME MOVER
2 : any of various power units that develop energy or impart motion: as a : a small compact engine b : INTERNAL COMBUSTION ENGINE; especially : a gasoline engine c : a rotating machine that transforms electrical energy into mechanical energy
3 : MOTOR VEHICLE; especially : AUTOMOBILE
- mo·tor·dom /-d&m/ noun
- mo·tor·less /-l&s/ adjective

Merriam-Webster seems to disagree with you.

dead eye 00
03-29-2006, 08:53 AM
Mofo you are wrong.There is such thing as a v5.Honda uses one on the RC211v moto gp bike and has been for a few years.

ilpadrino113
03-29-2006, 09:41 AM
ya the V-5 is just a V-6 block that only runs 5 cylinders for better gas mileage. Has a different crank and cam and all that but is basically the same as the v-6 block

MOFO
03-29-2006, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by dead eye 00
Mofo you are wrong.There is such thing as a v5.Honda uses one on the RC211v moto gp bike and has been for a few years.

Welcome to 2 days ago.

This has already been pointed out if you read the thread. VW actually made a V5 a few years ago... a flop never the less... It was derived from the VR6 engine, which can be debated since it is a very narrow angled block that shares the same head for both row of cylinders.

I would like to see how that RC211v engine is configured. What is the degree of separation between the rows of cylinders?

underpowered
03-29-2006, 11:13 AM

I would like to see how that RC211v engine is configured. What is the degree of separation between the rows of cylinders?

Here it is, most race engines are a V configuration. From the pic, it almost looks to be about a 90 degree, but it may be a narrower angle.

EDIT: just read it is a 72.5 degree of separation. here a link to a detailed overview of rossi's bike
http://www.castrol.com/castrol/genericarticle.do?categoryId=8262026&contentId=6003131

nosliw
03-29-2006, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Butters
exceptions to what?

the whole "V8s are better, muscle only" yadda yadda yadda

red2004 TRX450R
03-29-2006, 12:59 PM

ok you are going to make me say a bad word MOPAR
This originally meant 'Motor Parts', the parts division of Chrysler Corporation. A Mopar is any car made by Chrysler, DeSoto, Dodge, Imperial, Plymouth aand more recently Jeep and Eagle.

i did not know old mopars were electric!!!!

MOFO
03-29-2006, 01:26 PM
Here it is, most race engines are a V configuration. From the pic, it almost looks to be about a 90 degree, but it may be a narrower angle.

EDIT: just read it is a 72.5 degree of separation. here a link to a detailed overview of rossi's bike
http://www.castrol.com/castrol/genericarticle.do?categoryId=8262026&contentId=6003131

Very interesting to say the least! Thanks for the info.