PDA

View Full Version : Honda 250EX sputtering

chadrack09
03-26-2006, 10:44 PM
After my quad has been run for a while it just decides to shut down. It runs like the choke is on. It's like it is overheating, but it really shouldn't be overheating. At the time when it does this, the only way to get it to start is by pulling the choke. It'll run for a little while and then shut off. It also won't rev up very much. Any help would be great. For all I know, it is pretty much bone stock. The guy I bought it from didn't do much with it. Thanks!

BlasterEaten250
03-27-2006, 07:01 AM
the 250ex is usually pretty flexable with gas, but just to make sure, try putting some new gas in. Get gas from a place that sells amaco fuels such as BP.

Also, the guy didnt mess with the jets when he didnt need to right? He could have changed the jets for nothing and thought he would get more power. I would check that too.

Is the oil good? Have you changed it in a while? You want to get the best oil you can also. Mobil 1 is good.

plkmonster2
03-27-2006, 09:17 PM
Sounds like it a little lean, and getting hot. Check the jets, and see if you can get a temp gun to see how hot it is getting. It is probably around 300 or so when it starts to die. The fuel is getting too hot, and it vaporizes before it can be compressed. Also realize that as a gas is compressed, it is heated.

ohsobad_chevy
03-27-2006, 09:55 PM
Yeah, I think it sounds like it is running a little lean. What does your plugs look like?? Try all of the above and then look at your jetting. As mentioned above, the gas could be old.