PDA

View Full Version : Can't find master link!

brian400ex
07-26-2002, 01:58 PM
I have a D.I.D. chain and want to take it off and clean it but, i can't find the master link. They all look the same. Any thoughts on how to clean it once i get it off? The links are stiff and some of the o rings are cracked.

07-26-2002, 02:53 PM
That's because if it is the stock chain it doesn't have a masterlink. The OEM chain on a 400 is a one-piece chain without a masterlink. To get it off you have to either use a chain breaker, take a link out, and have a masterlink to replace it with, or you have to remove the swingarm, front sprocket cover, and case saver to get it off in one piece.

If it's an aftermarket chain, did you look at both sides of the chain for the clip? The side without the clip will look like a regular link.

As for cleaning, I use WD-40 and an old toothbrush. Just be sure the toothbrush is soft enough to not damage the O-rings. After you get all the old grease and dirt off it, wipe it clean with some rags to get all the loose stuff and excess WD-40 off, then lube it thoroughly with a good chain lube.

Also, if the links are sticking and the O-rings are cracking apart, you will probably want to get a new chain soon.

brian400ex
07-26-2002, 03:40 PM
I will probably get a new chain. How many links do i need? I have a 14T front and a 38T in the rear. Is the 38T stock? What brand do you guys recomend? I want an O ring chain. Sorry for all the questions.

Razorback
07-26-2002, 03:51 PM
the 38t is stock in the rear, 15t is stock in the front. 94 links is what is needed stock. 94 will also work for the 14/38 gearing. i got an RK chain from www.rockymountainatv.com and i really like it. very solid. i just got a 100 link chain and cut it down.