PDA

View Full Version : diesel truck

LTZ400rider
03-26-2006, 09:09 PM
wat tranny

LTZ400rider
03-26-2006, 09:11 PM
im lookin into buyin a diesel but not sure if id want a stick, give me some reasons pros and cons. remember manual has a low gear

antman
03-26-2006, 09:27 PM
get the duramax with the alisson automatic transmition

03-26-2006, 09:31 PM
i LOVE the sound of an F-350 shiftin through the gears!!!:eek:

nosliw
03-26-2006, 09:35 PM
i've got a dmax/alli. love it.

i've had cummins and fords in the past with 5 and 6spd manny trannys, but unless your job is towing, then it's pointless. even if my job WAS towing/hotshotting then i would still get the allison automatic.

automatic TD trucks keep up boost between shifts, so they are quicker also.

also depends on the diesel.

dmax-auto
cummins-manual
ford-pick your poisen

antman
03-26-2006, 09:42 PM
yeah. go with the chevy. my friends dad has one of the 2500hd with the duramax and allison. they are great... ride really smooth but when you punch the gas it pinns you to in the seat ... its the coolest truck!!

LTZ400rider
03-26-2006, 09:51 PM
my dad has a gmc 2500hd with a allison, i like it alot but i want a ford, i never drove a diesel truck with stick

the truck i want is a ford f250 7.3 with ext cab short bed. is shiftin smooth in big trucks?

nosliw
03-26-2006, 10:13 PM
go with the 6.9 or 7.3, a 6.4 (rumor) should be coming out in 07.

allison(gm)>torqshift(ford)>48re(dodge)

if it was me i would get the auto.

edit- driving a diesel stick is kind of cool. you take off in 2nd or 3rd gear without giving it any gas. just let off the clutch and let the torque of that beast pull you.

LTZ400rider
03-26-2006, 10:55 PM
im plannin on buyin a 01-02 with 90k or less, for 20 grand of less. i wanna test out a stick before i buy one, must be alot of shifting since redline is alittle over 3k rpms

DieselBoy
03-27-2006, 12:43 AM
isn't many manuals around to be totally honest.... pretty much every one I looked at was auto... the scary thing is the auto's last just as long and in some cases less of a hastle, due to clutches, transmission forks, and all that. Although sticks are damn good if you tow.

MR.BIG
03-27-2006, 08:18 AM
I would get an f350 with a 7.3. I would get automatic if I got another truck.

nosliw
03-27-2006, 08:28 AM
also, if you want a dmax/manual you better act fast. they are not going to make them anymore.

:rolleyes:

DieselBoy
03-27-2006, 01:29 PM
One thing I noticed when I was looking at diesel pickups is the majority have been worked hard, been in a company, towed regularly, and have higher mileage. Thankfully my truck was dealer maintained from the beginning, with all records. I paid more, but I knew it was maintained, and that, in my opinion is piece of mind. So you out to be careful. Try to get a diesel mechanic to look it over before you buy. LOOK FOR LEAKS on the block, head, etc. diesel's are known to leak, especially from the injector o-rings. Best of luck.

quads14589
03-27-2006, 03:19 PM
dont get one they are to expensive my dad got a f350 diseal and the thing eats gas. ur better off gettin a gas one but in the long run the diseal motor will outlast the truck.

underpowered
03-27-2006, 03:24 PM
Auto's are great, but manuals are more fun IMO. i say get a Manny tranny, but it i would drive one first to see how you like it.

MOFO
03-27-2006, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by quads14589
dont get one they are to expensive my dad got a f350 diseal and the thing eats gas. ur better off gettin a gas one but in the long run the diseal motor will outlast the truck.

Then your dad's truck is not running right.. :huh

Diesel trucks get WAY better gas mileage than the gassers. Its one of the huge benefits of going with a diesel.

quads14589
03-27-2006, 03:38 PM
when my dad had a choice of gettin a gas motor or a diseal it was a 11,000 difference. so he went with the diseal becasue diseal was cheap for like a week when he got it then it sky rocked. so it pretty expensive here. but it gets like 18 miles per gallon.:eek:

MOFO
03-27-2006, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by quads14589
but it gets like 18 miles per gallon.:eek:

exactly... so it doesnt "eat gas". Compare that to the other HD motors. 8.1 from GM or the V10's from Ford or Dodge.

quads14589
03-27-2006, 03:42 PM
lol

bens250ex
03-27-2006, 03:47 PM
i would go with a ford. now the manul or automatic is up to. are u going to be haulin or what? if u haul get a manual, if not then a auto is ok. if u are in city the nget a auto u will get sick of shiften the gears. someone said somethin about the chevy. if i was u i would stay away from them they arent good at all. the chevy's have alil more problems and to me they arent a real diesel thats my opinion.

MOFO
03-27-2006, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by bens250ex
i would go with a ford. now the manul or automatic is up to. are u going to be haulin or what? if u haul get a manual, if not then a auto is ok. if u are in city the nget a auto u will get sick of shiften the gears. someone said somethin about the chevy. if i was u i would stay away from them they arent good at all. the chevy's have alil more problems and to me they arent a real diesel thats my opinion.

Here we go again... good old Duramax bashers with NOTHING to back it up. I'm surprised dieselboy didnt bring this up again, then tell us its the same motor as the 6.5 and 6.2. :eek2: ;)

nosliw
03-27-2006, 04:07 PM
you're bashing the dmax and standing up for the 6.0 powerjoke?

puh-lease

News
Ford's diesel drama drags on: Power Stroke woes anger buyers, drive up warranty costs
RICHARD TRUETT | Automotive News
Posted Date: 12/14/05
James and Penny Schrader have bought Fords faithfully for 30 years.

But persistent problems with the Power Stroke diesel engine in their 2004 F-250 pickup have unraveled three decades of brand loyalty. The Schraders, both 63, put a second mortgage on their home in Linden, Mich., to buy the $45,000 truck. Now they say they'll probably never buy another Ford.

"My husband wouldn't look at anything else," says Penny Schrader of their pickup. "But I don't care how good their product was in the past. They haven't treated me well as a loyal customer."

The Schraders aren't alone. Ford Motor Co. has been sued at least 58 times by consumers who bought 2003- and 2004-model Power Stroke trucks. The company also has fielded more than 12,000 consumer complaints, according to Ford's internal warranty data.

Not a minor flaw

This isn't a minor flaw that Ford can dispatch with basic service. The Power Stroke's warranty repair costs are battering Ford's bottom line. In a conference call with Wall Street analysts last March, a company executive acknowledged that Ford's diesel-powered super-duty pickups suffered from quality problems.

Ford has declined to estimate the cost of fixing those defective Power Stroke engines. But Ford has acknowledged that its warranty costs ballooned by $500 million through the first nine months of 2005, compared with the same period a year earlier.

Ford says it is honoring the engine's five-year, 100,000-mile warranty and doing everything it can to repair it. And newer versions of the engine in late 2004- and 2005-model pickups are more reliable.

But the problem will continue to fester. Ford already has sold more than 384,000 diesel trucks with potentially defective engines. And customers like the Schraders appear ready to abandon the brand.

Fixing its diesel problems - in terms of both engine performance and public confidence - is crucial for Ford because the stakes are enormous: Diesels account for about 25 percent of all F-series sales, and the 6.0-liter Power Stroke is a $5,000 option. The engine is offered on medium- and heavy-duty pickups, and had been offered on the discontinued Ford Excursion SUV.

From 225,000 to 250,000 diesel-powered F-series trucks are sold each year, at prices ranging from $30,000 to $50,000-plus.

If Ford can't put things right, the Power Stroke could cause a consumer backlash similar to that of Chrysler's problem-plagued Ultradrive transmission, which alienated minivan owners in the early 1990s.

"If this isn't fixed, and fixed right, and customer satisfaction put back on track, there will be fallout," says Art Spinella, president of CNW Marketing Research Inc. in Bandon, Ore. "Ford will lose buyers to Dodge and General Motors."

Trouble from the start

The 6.0-liter Power Stroke engine has been troublesome from the day it was launched in the fall of 2002. It replaced a somewhat unrefined 7.3-liter diesel.

The powertrain was built by a longtime Ford diesel supplier, International Truck and Engine Corp., of Melrose Park, Ill.

For this version of the engine, International Truck designed a unique high-pressure fuel-injection system.

Most automakers use only electronic controls to operate the fuel injectors in a common-rail system. But the Power Stroke's fuel injectors are operated by a high-pressure oil pump as well as electronics.

According to several of the 150-plus complaints posted on the Web site of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, some trucks never even made it home from the dealership before the fuel injectors or turbocharger failed.

The engine also has been plagued with leaky fuel injectors, oil leaks, broken turbochargers, wiring harness troubles, faulty sensors, defective exhaust gas recirculation valves and bad computers.

Since the engine debuted three years ago, Ford has issued at least 77 technical service bulletins. That is far above average, even for a new engine. These bulletins tell mechanics how to diagnose and fix various problems.

By comparison, there have been eight service bulletins for GM's Duramax diesel V-8 and none for the diesel engine in the Dodge Ram truck. Both engines debuted at about the same time as the Power Stroke.

After just a year on the market, International almost completely redesigned the Power Stroke's fuel system, replacing or redesigning nearly 500 parts. That helped reduce the number of problems, but did not cure the engine of all its ills. Ford has voluntarily recalled the engine at least twice to fix various problems.

The troubles have caused a rift in relations between Ford and International.

The engine can be repaired and made reliable, says International spokesman Bob Carso. Engineers from Ford and International have fixed the problems that plagued the early versions of the engine, he said.

But Carso says the engine is extremely complex and requires "outstanding diagnostic capabilities" to properly identify and repair the faulty parts.

Less help from Ford?

When the Power Stroke's troubles surfaced, Ford tried hard to keep customers happy. In the summer of 2003, Ford took the unusual step of buying back 500 trucks, mostly because of fuel system problems.

But two diesel technicians say Ford has changed the way it deals with the engine problems.

"When they first started out with the 6.0-liter, Ford had a team that was looking over every bit of it and just doing whatever it took to get them fixed," says Mark Ward, a master diesel technician at Landers McLarty Ford in Bentonville, Ark. "And then that just shut off like a light when Ford found out how much losses they were having."

Ward contends Ford is trying to shift more repair costs onto consumers.

"We used to replace turbochargers left and right if the fins had any damage to them," he says. "Now they (Ford) won't accept a turbo back with any fin damage. They are saying if there is any (turbocharger) fin damage whatsoever, it has to be from a dirty air filter. You have to inform the customer that Ford won't pay for that. It's $700, plus the labor."

The fin is the part of the turbocharger that is driven by engine's exhaust system.

"When the 6.0 is running properly, it has much better performance than the 7.3 did," says Charles Ledger, a Ford master technician from Oroville, Calif. "Unfortunately, the 6.0 is plagued with sensor problems." Ledger dispenses advice on his Dieselmann Web site (intellidog.com/dieselmann/home.html).

Ford: No change in policy

Cisco Codina, president of Ford's customer service division, says Ford is not blaming consumers or trying to shift repair costs onto buyers.

"We have not changed any policies whatsoever as it relates to defective material," Codina says. "We don't try to put this blame on the customers. We will spend whatever amount of time and money necessary to help customers who have problems."

Not all of the Power Stroke's defects can be blamed on Ford and International. Consumers may cause problems by installing unauthorized parts that boost engine output. Aftermarket computer chips and exhaust systems can upset the delicate tuning of the engine and cause head gaskets to blow out, Ward says.

Last year Ford and International officials told Automotive News that the Power Stroke's troubles were over. But that turns out to be only partially true.

The engines made today have a better record for reliability, according to NHTSA (see story, above). But those 2003- and early 2004-model engines keep breaking down. And consumers are angry at having to return to the dealership time after time for "reflashes" - new software to be installed in the vehicle's engine computer or other repairs.

Getting better

The number of complaints for 2005 Power Stroke engines has dropped sharply compared with earlier versions since last year's redesign of the engine's fuel system.

But there still are thousands on the road that are not reliable - and may never be. Design deficiencies in some faulty parts, Ward says, have not been addressed.

"If you look at the part number at the new one you are putting on, it's identical to the one you are taking out," notes Ward, the Arkansas technician. "If you start out with something cheap, what do you expect to happen?"

Ward details the engine's troubles and Ford's technical service bulletins on his Web site, flatratetech.com.

The Power Stroke's troubles are reminiscent of Chrysler Corp.'s A-604 automatic transmission - dubbed Ultradrive - that was introduced in Chrysler minivans in 1989. The first versions of the electronically shifted transmission had more problems than a calculus book. Technicians couldn't fix them, consumers were fuming, and Chrysler ended up replacing thousands of transmissions under warranty.

But Codina says Power Stroke has generated more complaints than rival diesels simply because more diesel Fords are on the road.

Says Codina: "We try to address each and every (problem) as we became aware of them. I am sure I am not aware of all of them. But if they (consumers) come to us, we try to do our very best. But today if you have one or two problems, people are not very happy with you."

One more chance

As for the Schraders, three days before they were to appear before a Lemon Law arbitration panel in November, Ford offered to buy back their old truck, waive mileage costs and put them in a 2006 model.

After consulting with a lawyer, the Schraders took the deal. The couple left Michigan a few days later for a road trip West. But they are still angry with Ford because they had to spend a year trying to get their truck fixed.

And they will not cut the new truck any slack. If the new truck so much as sputters, James Schrader says he will pull into the nearest Dodge dealership and trade it for a Ram

03-27-2006, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by MOFO
Here we go again... good old Duramax bashers with NOTHING to back it up. I'm surprised dieselboy didnt bring this up again, then tell us its the same motor as the 6.5 and 6.2. :eek2: ;)

The GM Duramax(Isuzu) is definetly the KING of diesels. By the way a GM 6.5 Turbo diesel with a few modifications is a great engine, just misunderstood.

nosliw
03-27-2006, 04:22 PM
i like the 6.2,5's for their unloaded mileage. easily 26+mpg. just don't expect it to haul 18,000lbs, and don't expect it to stay together with a whole bunch of power mods.

don't want to blow the bondo out of the sparkplug holes! :blah:

quads14589
03-27-2006, 04:31 PM
i would go with the ford also:macho

DieselBoy
03-27-2006, 04:45 PM
Give the 7.3 a looking at if your going to buy used. The 6.0 is starting to prove itself, it started out bad, much like GM's first attempt at the diesel engine. In short, these engines need more maintenance than your typical gasoline powered truck. You will very regularly need to do air filters, fuel filters, run injector cleaner, diesel fuel conditioner (where needed), and so on

The 7.3 is a proven, durable, reliable engine. I've had no problems what so ever, the cummins 5.9 as you know is a very good diesel engine, but the trucks they're in don't stand up to anything.

motochamp250
03-27-2006, 06:37 PM
cummins......nough said.....y be strokin when u can be cummin :blah:

LTZ400rider
03-27-2006, 09:00 PM
dieselboy post a pic of ur truck, what is it anyway?

i will never buy a dodge truck period

also what are the benefits of towing with manual tranny? i think it would be harder backing up with a trailer.

im not gonna be towing alot but every once in a while, its mostly gonna be a daily driver and i dont care if its not a dd vehicle, im a kid and i dont mind

DieselBoy
03-28-2006, 12:00 AM
here it is. 2003 F-350 Crew Dually 4X4 Diesel (7.3) Auto. The manuals are kind of a pain for a daily driver, but for towing, you can get your load going alot faster and easier, your much more in control of your load. it also depends how much weight.

DieselBoy
03-28-2006, 12:01 AM
THE FREIGHT TRAIN - ENJOY

DieselBoy
03-28-2006, 12:06 AM
i had to get a yellow sticker (commercial sticker) cause I had a huge load and a MTO (Ministry of Transportation )Officer (not police) ******* pulled me over when I had the float and 753, so I have to get it "saftied" every year. It's so gay. I was so mad. Oh well.

The engine has been flawless.

All my friends call it the freight train, it looks like it (especially at night).

ilpadrino113
03-28-2006, 09:08 AM
the tranny would depend on the brand of truck. If u get a Chevy go with the alli tranny. Get a Dodge and definitely go manual, especially if u haul. Ford's pretty 50/50, depends on personal taste. I personally like manual tranny's better, more fun to drive, faster (most cases) and better gas mileage. there's no better feelin than bangin' through the gears as yer screamin down a country road.

Pitmom
03-28-2006, 09:13 AM
2500hd duramax diesel with the alli trans...pulls our 37' Next Level 5th wheel up the Cajon pass(big hill) at 60+mph no problem fully loaded with 150 gls water, 7 quads, 80 gls of fuel, 6 people and all the gear. It's awesome...smart trans!!!

1fst400
03-28-2006, 09:31 AM
My dad has a 05 f-350, desil, auto. bone stock.

When On hard acceleration it obviously spins the tires, but it shifts to fast, then loads the motor up, then has to doun shift quickly, makes for a very jossiled around take off. It tends to hold it in 2nd gear a bit longer if I stick it in tow/haul mode, But still doesent eleminate this problem.

My bos has a 88? somewhere around there f-350, desil,standard. Other than the fact that it is an older desil which seems to = no power, it is fun to shift throu the gears, altho it takes a bit more talent than a car. well it seems that way anyways.

Anyways, I would get an auto. With a shift kit its nearly matched in performance with a standard.

DieselBoy
03-28-2006, 03:26 PM
Well with a diesel the engine runs much slower under load than that of a gas truck, making it seem like its dying out, however the power is readily available, but you can't lay on it or it will gear down, hard to explain. I love when the torque converter locks climbin a hill and you steadily push the pedal and it just starts PULLLLLLLIN and the turbo screams, it takes some getting used to (towing with the auto) but the engine is trying to keep the RPM's down cause diesel's got torque and they're made to work.

the 6.9 international's seem gutless, they are non turbo and like any non turbo diesel they are gutless turtles and they smoke alot, The turbo is crutial to diesel performance. even the OLD non turbo 7.3s are gutless before they put the turbo in 94 I believe it was.

nosliw
03-28-2006, 03:58 PM
7.3's are harder to make power compared to the dmax.

but i do think that you can do a lot more to control the torqshift through programming.

400exrider707
03-29-2006, 04:01 PM
get an auto, they're faster, they dont lose turbo boost when its shifting....:devil:

milehigh450r
04-02-2006, 11:10 PM
Well, if you want an auto and aren't goin to mod your truck, the Cummins is hard to beat. The Powerstroke 6.0 is a piece of crap, and the Duramax is a good motor, but it's no Cummins. If you are goin to add any more than 100 hp, any auto tranny becomes a liability. It cost's as much as a quad to build up an auto, vs. just a clutch in a manual. If you do go manual, the Dodge combo rules again. But I'm kinda biased if you can't tell. Once you buy a diesel, you will never go back.:macho

LTZ400rider
04-02-2006, 11:21 PM
i think i have it set to a 01 powerstroke 7.3 manual transmission ext cab, hopefully leather if i can find it and white or charcoal gray paint. then im gonna get a turbo back exhaust with a volant intake and a chip with some gauges and a computer.

is shifting a big truck smooth or do u have to jerk it into gear

TheFuqualator
04-03-2006, 01:14 AM
GET U A NEW D-MAX WITH AUTOMATIC ALLIS TRANSMISSION BILL BALLLANCE HAS ONE AND HE REALLY LIKES HIS.

Diedrich
04-03-2006, 04:22 AM
im a chevy man all the way but when it comes to diesels only thing i would own is a powerstroke..my friend has a duramax and it has nothing on a powerstroke..i mean they're alright trucks but i dont think they have near the power as a ford..i would get a man. trans if i was gonna buy one

LTZ400rider
04-03-2006, 04:20 PM
z

hondamanex400
04-04-2006, 12:47 AM
like everyone else says: its all personal opinions. it is totally up to you and what u like. but i have borrowed an 03 chevy duramax w/ allison auto, and it pulled my 6,500 lbs full size chevy truck on a trailer with/out any problems what so ever, and i was going 75 mph up and down I-64 here in KY. it has some pretty good hills on it, and it didnt even think twice. i was even running w/o the trailer option on. but i know, that when i start looking for another truck soon, i will get a manual, unless it is the duramax. Cummins + 6 speed = AWSOME, but its in a dodge. give it a couple years, and they will be in fords i believe. im not too keen on powerchokers, but i would personally get a 6.0 L 6 speed. hell the new allison trannys can become a "manual" of some sorts, where you shift it even though it is an auto. but this is also my 2cents worth.

milehigh450r
04-04-2006, 04:28 PM
The Cummins is going to be in the Dodges for a long time. They are coming out with an all new 6.7 I-6, and a 6 spd auto. Ford is making a new engine too, a 6.4 Twin turbo, because the 6.0 was and is a pile of crap. The duramax is a good engine, but both of the V-8 diesels drive like gas. The dodge has full power from about 1300 to redline at 3200. The V-8's need to rev above 2500 to get in their powerband up to about 4000. :eek2: By the way, the dodge chassis are holdin up awesome, and are every bit as nice as the other guys. Yes I have driven a Duramax, but wouldnt bother with the Ford.

DieselBoy
04-04-2006, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by milehigh450r
The Cummins is going to be in the Dodges for a long time. They are coming out with an all new 6.7 I-6, and a 6 spd auto. Ford is making a new engine too, a 6.4 Twin turbo, because the 6.0 was and is a pile of crap. The duramax is a good engine, but both of the V-8 diesels drive like gas. The dodge has full power from about 1300 to redline at 3200. The V-8's need to rev above 2500 to get in their powerband up to about 4000. :eek2: By the way, the dodge chassis are holdin up awesome, and are every bit as nice as the other guys. Yes I have driven a Duramax, but wouldnt bother with the Ford.

son if i got my powerstroke up to 4,000 i would be throwin rods...... thats into the redline, dont even think the engine will let it rev that high if so not much higher. the diesel's have peak torque at about 1400RPM-1800RPM is when they produce the most torque... (Not totally sure it's 14-18, but somewhere around there)

cummins: excellent motor. proven. powerstroke has also proven itself well too. chevys getting there - i hope the domestic brands forge far ahead to keep the truck market in the domestic hands.
the 7.3 international, and 5.9 were introduced at the same time roughly, and they have both set the bench mark. however i would like to see the inline six design incorporated in the ford diesels, it would make much more sense, i don't know why they have not done so. I believe they stay with the V design because it stands out, and is easier to fit in the engine compartment, but I really respect the inline design.

nosliw
04-04-2006, 08:56 PM
every dyno sheet i've seen shows the dmax making peak tq @ a little over 2500rpm. hp is similar.

dmax can rev that high, but not without custom programming. probably good for 5K. i know cummins are capable of higher rpm than that.

LTZ400rider
04-04-2006, 09:04 PM
The V-8's need to rev above 2500 to get in their powerband up to about 4000. :eek2:

damn another noob

DieselBoy
04-04-2006, 09:13 PM
Peak torque specs...

CUMMINS 600: 600ft/lbs @ 1600 rpm
FORD 6.0: 560 ft/lbs @ 2000 rpm
Duramax 6.6: 520ft/lb @ 1800 rpm

nosliw
04-04-2006, 09:39 PM
well, you got those numbers from the maker. i get mine from the real world. sadly, the difference is pretty big.

this is a dmax with some pretty decent #2 only numbers

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/17/dyno1qr.jpg

nosliw
04-04-2006, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by DieselBoy
Peak torque specs...

CUMMINS 600: 600ft/lbs @ 1600 rpm
FORD 6.0: 560 ft/lbs @ 2000 rpm
Duramax 6.6: 520ft/lb @ 1800 rpm

those aren't current 'specs' anyway. new dmax LBZ is rated at 650lb/ft

04-04-2006, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by nosliw

this is a dmax with some pretty decent #2 only numbers

[

488 HP on a diesel Decent? That is awesome!

For anybody on here downing the Duramax, its the best light truck diesel made. It was designed and built by Isuzu(which GM owns a large % stock). Isuzu built the first mass produced diesel. Isuzu also built the first diesel to use aluminum heads, and they were laughed at, now its been proven reliable. They were also one of the pioneers of direct injection on diesels. They build some awesome diesel trucks in asia and its a shame they're not available here. The powerstroke is a decent motor, and the cummins is great if dodge could build an auto tranny stronger than a cracker jack box and a truck that didn't fall apart, but neither compare to a Duramax in my book.

milehigh450r
04-04-2006, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by LTZ400rider
damn another noob

Not to diesels I'm not buddy.

LTZ400rider
04-04-2006, 10:50 PM
Not to diesels I'm not buddy.

you may be right but i cant imagine shifting at 4, especially an automatic

milehigh450r
04-04-2006, 10:55 PM
If you're talkin about the 7.3, then yeah, that doesnt go anywhere near 4k, and it was a great motor. The 6.0 I think redlines around 4000, which is nuts.

DieselBoy
04-05-2006, 03:02 PM
Whether they're current specs or not, I was trying to give you a rough idea of the rpm range they produce peak torque. 650FT/LBs sounds pretty high... the cummins doesn't even make that stock and it's an inline six... not saying i don't believe you, but what does LBZ mean? I'm guessing that's not stock?

MOFO
04-05-2006, 03:22 PM
Whether they're current specs or not, I was trying to give you a rough idea of the rpm range they produce peak torque. 650FT/LBs sounds pretty high... the cummins doesn't even make that stock and it's an inline six... not saying i don't believe you, but what does LBZ mean? I'm guessing that's not stock?

Its stock and it does put out 650ft/lbs. LBZ is a line code used for the newest Duramax engine - if I remember right.

DieselBoy
04-05-2006, 04:21 PM
thats alot.

nosliw
04-05-2006, 04:31 PM
sure is a lot. but not enough ;)

2001-2004 (LB7) 300hp and 520lb/ft

2004.5 (LLY) 310hp and 590lb/ft

2005-2006 (LLY) 310hp and 605lb/ft

2006 (LBZ) 360hp and 650lb/ft

boo-ya. cummins is torque-y........ for it's size

:blah:

nosliw
04-05-2006, 04:34 PM
oh and if you want to tell what model engine you have, look at the 8th digit of your VIN number

1 (LB7)
2 (LLY)
D (LBZ)

hondardr4life
04-05-2006, 06:53 PM
My old man has an 03 Duramax with the allisons 6-speed auto tranny. Now, I just recently got my permit, and I haven't driven too many different vehicles, but that duramax is TORQUEY! I love driving that truck, you've just got so much power under the hood, its great. I definetly would love to have one of those trucks, but they arent cheap.

DieselBoy
04-05-2006, 09:10 PM
By far the cummins is superior to both the duramax and powerstroke. they don't have glow plugs, they have a very simple injection system, they are basically "tractor engines" as I call them. Are you saying it comes from the factory with 650ft/lbs? I mean, wouldn't it be on their website? I checked and the cummins comes of the box with 600FT/LB at best. However programming will give you much more. How did they go from 520 to 650? I'm confused. Why aren't they advertising this?

Those rating's aren't advertised in any of their brochures...

nosliw
04-05-2006, 10:14 PM
hondardr4life- they didn't offer the allison 6spd automatic until 06 with the LLY and the LBZ. probably just a typo on your end, though.

dieselboy-

i work with and around these engines more than i do my quads. the cummins is NOT the superior choice. it is a good engine, but so is the duramax and the (older) powerstrokes. i don't want to get into a battle over this, because both sides have very strong arguements, and this thread would just get closed as soon as it elevates. lets just say i've owned all three and i'm sticking with the duramax for a damn good reason.

the numbers are from the manufactorers. cold stone fact. (flywheel iirc)

DieselBoy
04-05-2006, 10:29 PM
If you go to www.duramaxdiesel.com - read, it says 520.

Duramax Highlights.

300 horsepower at 3100 rpm and 520 lb.-ft. of torque at 1800 rpm.

Center-mounted turbocharger helps provide more power.

Common rail fuel injection, developed by Bosch, optimizes fuel injection rates for reduced combustion noise.

Deep-skirt block design, case hardening of the block, one-piece aluminum crankcase and one-piece aluminum bellhousing help reduce noise, vibration and harshness.

What makes you think the cummins isn't the best?

DieselBoy
04-05-2006, 10:34 PM
the cummins is insanely easy to work on, no glow plugs, simple injection system, parts are MUCH cheaper... inline six..

but the dodge truck bites the f____ dust.....

one day, i hope, i can buy that FORD-TO-CUMMINS conversion kit, and put the cummins in there. it would be pretty freakn' awesome.

nosliw
04-05-2006, 10:49 PM
duramaxdiesel.com was updated once, and that was when they first came out. they are NOT current. why don't you try gmc.com or chevy.com?

look, i have a come back to every comment you made, but with you guys it's hard to argue. no offense intended, i just don't want to make a mess for the mods to clean up.

but i guess one thing we can agree on is that the shipping crate the cummins comes in (dodge) sucks.

DieselBoy
04-05-2006, 11:41 PM
you can say your comebacks if they're clean...why not...

MOFO
04-06-2006, 03:40 AM
you can say your comebacks if they're clean...why not...

read up...

http://www.thedieselpage.com/duramax/2006enginenewsrelease.htm

Please note the 650ft/lbs is at 1600RPM's!

nosliw, your right - its not worth your time dealing with him.

hondardr4life
04-06-2006, 04:32 AM
Originally posted by nosliw
hondardr4life- they didn't offer the allison 6spd automatic until 06 with the LLY and the LBZ. probably just a typo on your end, though.

No, Not a typo in any way. I am pretty sure that it's a 6 speed, or at least thats what I remember them saying when he got the truck. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure I remember the book saying 6 speed.

DieselBoy
04-06-2006, 10:21 AM
yes, i read it on chevy.com

ford 'n dodge are gonna have to step it up.

nosliw
04-06-2006, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by hondardr4life
No, Not a typo in any way. I am pretty sure that it's a 6 speed, or at least thats what I remember them saying when he got the truck. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure I remember the book saying 6 speed.

if it's a 2003 and it's a duramax/allison, it's an allison 1000 series 5spd. the zf6 is the manual transmission option (was) and is a 6 speed. they didn't start using the 6spd automatic until 2006. you either misunderstood the man or the salesman was full of it.

the tcc (torque converter clutch) lockup sometimes confuses people into thinking it's a 6spd.

milehigh450r
04-06-2006, 03:14 PM
You know, we could argue all day and not get anywhere. They are all great engines, except for the 6.0, I think anyone who knows diesels will agree to that. Yes, the Duramax is new, and a V-8, but it is a good engine, theres a post on one of my other forums with a Duramax with 470k miles. The Cummins is awesome too, I have seen up to 515k out of an 03, and have heard of a few million mile trucks that haven't had the heads off. They are both good, and hopefully the new 6.7 will be as great as the 5.9 was.

Look at it this way, I drive a Cummins turbo DIESEL, you drive a Duramax DIESEL, get it? Maybe the Ford guys will get their respect back too. I think there aren't enough of these trucks out there.

nosliw
04-06-2006, 03:42 PM
i hear that bro.

remember, it isn't dmax vs. cummins vs. powerstroke.....

it's diesel performance vs. ricers....

milehigh450r
04-06-2006, 03:48 PM
I will drink to that dude. Give those ricers hell.:devil: