PDA

View Full Version : coolent leaking out of exhuast flange

rustee
03-26-2006, 06:33 PM
hello all i just rebuilt my sons 330esr motor and have been having nothin but trouble since . this is the second time in 3 days this motor has been apart. first time bike ran great an animal. then we noticed a lot of smoking and excessive amount of oil leaking from exhuast flanges.also gear lube leaking from right clutch cover on bottom especialy when running.i also noticed after exhuast was removed that the base gasket was sticking out of the side of the engine blown out. pulled head soaked with oil pulled cylinder also soaked with oil in all the passages except intake. a lot of oil in crank case bottom looked like gear lube. decided to tear down again right case cover gasket was sucked in reason for leak at bottom of cover. spli case center gasket did not look blown out. ck crank seals right seal did not look right was kind of bent looking mabee i installed it wrong. so i put both new crank seals in again cleaned everything up new center case gasket. evrey think went back to gether nice and clean all new gaskets. fired it up ran great again ripped!. after about 20 min i noticed a lot of smoke when my son went buy and when he stoped big big clouds. i looked very close at eng right rear base nut was leaking anti frezz ? how?. pulled plug to see what it looked like. steam coming out of plug hole. plug wet and black. this thing still ran well with this happening!.pulled head anti frezze in exhuast ports and if i wipe my finger around inside of cyl has a green tint antifrezzewith oil. orings apeard to be ok on top of cyl and were in the groves. pulled cyl agin no anti frezze in bottem of crank case thank god. but there is a little yellowish oil my guess it is the two stroke oil is this common?i am new to 2 strokes here. any one have any ideas on this ? it is driving me mad not sure were the coolent came from and why was it leaking from the r rear base stud no coolent should be there. this quad was completely rebuilt from the bottom up no expense was spared. any help or logical suggestions greatly apreciated not sure what to do from here. hince my story rustee...

slick250
03-26-2006, 07:03 PM
I have 2 ESR engines and have had this happen with both. Long story short, put some radiator sealant in the radiator......the aluminum casting on the ESR jugs is very porous and will allow antifreeze to leak right through it. One of mine leaked internally, and the other leaked right through the middle of the outer shell of the jug.

rustee
03-26-2006, 08:28 PM
thanks for the reply slick250. after my first post i went back out to the shop and looked at every thing very close. i did notice that my leak around the stud was coming from the water elbow above the intake port. i only noticed this tonite after the anti frezze sort of dryed it left a greenish path along the casing right to the stud. i am begining to think this is merly bad luck.and the inner oring is bad and let coolent into the head and the outside one was caused by the o ring in the elbow. either way i will take your advice and put some stop leak in it when i get it back together. i want to send the cyl and piston to the machine shop. it dosent appeard to be scourd but the piston in places on the skirt is very shiny, almost polished. i dont think it should look like that with about 1 hr run time on the new rebuild. with the lack of oil and coolent not to good of a lubricant i hope i did not hurt it. thanks rustee

slick250
03-26-2006, 09:05 PM
Glad to here you figured something out on it.Hope everything turns out OK for you.
I usually keep a couple spare sets of those O-rings on hand. They come in handy frequently.
Did you replace the O-rings when you went back together with it?
They do not like to reseal.