PDA

View Full Version : Air Filter???? Help

blake_mx_racer
03-26-2006, 05:23 PM
I was riding today and i guess sometime while i was riding my K&N filter fell off and got thrashed in the airbox. I dont want to go with K&N again so which filter would you reccomend for mx. I have a Rossier full system and jet kit.

EDIT- I run with out a airbox lid.

leadfoot_52
03-26-2006, 05:33 PM
I would go with the pro series foam filter. If you have the airbox lid off, I would not recommend a K&N. The foam filter offers more protection, is easy to clean, and there is pleanty of surface area for air to flow. Our dyno has proved that a K&N doesnt give you any more power than a foam filter.

blake_mx_racer
03-26-2006, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by leadfoot_52
I would go with the pro series foam filter. If you have the airbox lid off, I would not recommend a K&N. The foam filter offers more protection, is easy to clean, and there is pleanty of surface area for air to flow. Our dyno has proved that a K&N doesnt give you any more power than a foam filter.

Where can you purchase that filter and how much do they run?

leadfoot_52
03-26-2006, 05:42 PM
any aftermarket dealer or ebay. Im not too sure what they cost, but your wallet and quad will like you much better if you buy a foam filter instead of the K&N. Thats just my opinion.

blake_mx_racer
03-26-2006, 06:06 PM
Do you think the dust that got in it did anything to the motor? Im gonna change the oil before i ride it.

450rJam
03-26-2006, 06:08 PM
not sure about the 05 but on my 06 the k&n came with a billet collar to make a better seal and give it something to clamp down on. I can see if you get just the k&n that clamping it to a rubber lip it could come loose.

blake_mx_racer
03-26-2006, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by 450rJam
not sure about the 05 but on my 06 the k&n came with a billet collar to make a better seal and give it something to clamp down on. I can see if you get just the k&n that clamping it to a rubber lip it could come loose.

on the 05 it has a peice that goes from the filter to the box and it has a screw that holds it in.

desratt
03-26-2006, 07:17 PM
dura blue

http://www.durablue.com/prods_air_filters.shtml

http://www.durablue.com/images/img_photos/big/air2.jpg

Jonas
03-26-2006, 07:30 PM
Run your stock filter and save your money.

blakefoote
03-26-2006, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by blake_mx_racer
I was riding today and i guess sometime while i was riding my K&N filter fell off and got thrashed in the airbox. I dont want to go with K&N again so which filter would you reccomend for mx. I have a Rossier full system and jet kit.

EDIT- I run with out a airbox lid.

Twin Airs filter is awesome!!! im getting it...

03-26-2006, 07:50 PM
UNI for life!

blake_mx_racer
03-26-2006, 07:51 PM
Do you think my valves could mess up since it was off for most of the day and i rode on a really dusty track? I never new it was off cuz it ran fine all day.

blake_mx_racer
03-26-2006, 07:58 PM
heres two pics of the filter.

blake_mx_racer
03-26-2006, 07:58 PM

04'400ex'er
03-26-2006, 08:12 PM
I cant believe you couldnt hear it when it fell off. The billet collar you are talking about is the Pro Design Pro Flo Kit. You can get it for around $60 with a UNI foam filter, or $90 wit the K&N from Rocky Mtn.

blake_mx_racer
03-26-2006, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by 04'400ex'er
I cant believe you couldnt hear it when it fell off. The billet collar you are talking about is the Pro Design Pro Flo Kit. You can get it for around $60 with a UNI foam filter, or $90 wit the K&N from Rocky Mtn.

Yea i cant beleive i didnt hear it either. There was know rattling or clanking, just sounded like it always does.

JW450R1
03-27-2006, 05:04 AM
there is a aluminum block that i think pro desigin makes or mod quad.it helps out with some more power too.goes inbetween thr air tube and filter.that helps with holding the filter into place.

quadfam4
03-27-2006, 11:30 AM
Had the same failure with the K&N filter a few months ago. The rear tab broke off at the bend. I caught it before it came off the front clamp. Contacted K&N and they sent me a replacement filter.
I don't like the setup for their clamp system in the front. Don't know why they didn't put a metal insert instead of that hard rubber piece that can collapse slightly when clamped. Agree with previous post about pro design system. Have it on a yfz. Billet sleeve through and bolted and secured to airbox with clamp to rubber sleeve from carb. Very solid installation.