PDA

View Full Version : best free mod you can do

00400EX
07-26-2002, 12:20 PM
I found this in an earlier thread. The hole throttle cable adjustment thing.

I figured what the **** I'l go and look. Well wouldn't you know it my 400 ex was only getting 3/4 throttle. No b/s 3/4. So I adjusted it until I heard the throttle / bore, whatever, bottom and top out in the carb. I must have turnned the cable adjuster, (on the thumb throttle) 6-8 revolutions. Then tightened the lock nut . I must trully admit I could tell the diff. So if you havent tried this do so now!!!

I love this board, I would of never known to look at that.

Brian:) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Sparks425Ex
07-26-2002, 01:45 PM
A couple other would be:

Shave Your Fenders

Grind Welds in Header

Drill Your air Box.

If there are more somone correct me.

rdmex
07-26-2002, 01:51 PM
take choke off = excellent throttle response!!!!

Zingnut
07-26-2002, 01:51 PM
Remove Choke plate, ebrake block off, 42 pilot, 150 main, and mobil 15w50.

MOUSE
07-26-2002, 02:45 PM
what makes blocking off the ebrake so great?

Nausty
07-26-2002, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by LSR416Ex
A couple other would be:

Shave Your Fenders

Grind Welds in Header

Drill Your air Box.

If there are more somone correct me.

gut stock silencer
http://home.earthlink.net/~gellett/exhaust/index.htm

07-26-2002, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by MOUSE

It takes off around a pound of useless weight. I say useless because every time the pads wear a bit (every ride in other words), the ebrake gets out of adjustment and wouldn't hold squat.

My cheap mod: Just make sure it's jetted correctly.

02400ex#21
07-26-2002, 03:31 PM
Does gutting the stock silencer really work? Do you notice a difference?

-Thanks-

250rampage
07-28-2002, 06:33 AM
Yes, it definately works. You can tell a big difference between a quad with a stock vs. gutted silencer.

RUFIO
07-28-2002, 02:21 PM
Does anyone know the steps in that throttle adjustment on a 250ex? thanks

True rider
07-28-2002, 02:55 PM
I adjusted the throttle cable on my 250ex and it made a **** of a difference, 1.pull back the sleeve 2.Lossen the lock nut 3.Turn it till theres no free play 4.Tighten it back up.

Leo02400ex
07-28-2002, 06:30 PM
The throttle cable adjustment is no BS i took off the snorkle form the airbox to the carb to see and when I reached into the carb I was able to push up he throttle atleast an 1/8 inch so I backed it out of the thumb throttle so that it would fully open. I was careful not to make the cable to short since I have a tendency to completely pin the thumb throttle and I do not want to stretch the cable. My Ex is pretty new and it actually took a good 5 or 6 complete revolutions to do this. Afterwards I lined up next to a friewnd of mine and went for a rolling start and the bike just jumped strait up in first, then the same in second and I pulled on himethe whole way. His ex is about 2 months old. needless to say he is making the adjustment this weekend. For all you stockers, you gotta do this, trust us.

02400ex#21
07-29-2002, 10:23 AM
If you gut the stock silencer do you have to rejet or anything like that?

flaneledholes
07-29-2002, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by 02400ex#21

Yup

UglyMotha™
07-29-2002, 11:12 AM

that is is you want to see a performance gain if you don't you'll actually loose performance

400exNH
07-29-2002, 11:24 AM
Don't bother with the stock exhaust mod. It's a waste. From what I understand some cheap redneck was bored while drinking beer in his garage. I didn't notice anything when I did it.
It's just the next step in purchasing a real (dyno tested, professionally engineered) exhaust system.

Does anyone actually have a dyno for the stock exhaust mod to prove that it does anything, or is all this talk just a matter of opinion?????

UglyMotha™
07-29-2002, 11:33 AM
i'm sure someone around here as ran a seat of the pants dyno on it somwhere around here, i myself really don't know cause my stocker was only on for a whole two day after i bought her, by why do say it's a waste, like it take that much effort to gut it and besides the fact most power gains are mental, if you think hard enough you'll gain power, or so it will seem to you then someone else will get on you ex after you talk some crazy crap about it and ride and a be like what are you on crack:huh and then you'll get all bummed and think you have no power and the next thing you notice is you feel you have no power, so you see it's all mental plus not everyone can afford the 250 to 400 exhaust, so least it gives them somthing

RUFIO
07-29-2002, 05:06 PM
what are the steps for a 250ex?? im new, whats a sleeeve i need more detailed discription

flaneledholes
07-29-2002, 05:58 PM
Look where you push the throttle with your thumb... Right next to it on the left side there is a little black sleeve... You pull this back... And adjust it as everyone else said...

99'300EX
07-29-2002, 09:24 PM
can someone post the steps on how to adjust the throttle on my 300ex. is it very hard, is it worth it??

08-03-2002, 10:58 PM
make your pipe realy realy loud, even tho it will piss of a lotta ppl cuz of the noise, it wil make it seem like u have a lot more power,even tho u realy dont, and ppl wil think u do also, until they race u or ride your quad:D

250rampage
08-03-2002, 11:17 PM
why do you say that it wouldn't have any more power? Designing a pipe for a single cylinder engine isn't really rocket science. Since you don't have to deal with multiple exhaust pulses from different cylinders, the most powerfull pipe is the one that allows exhaust gasses to escape with the least resistance. The exhaust mod is done by removing a ring of build-up weld at inside the headpipe where it meets the head, then polishing the area where the grinding was done...<sarcasm>no way removing a large restriction restriction less then 4 inches away from the valves could give more power.</sarcasm>

The silencer mod that is done is performed by taking the silencer off, and drilling a series 3/4 inch holes though all three plates that changes the airflow from a single, twisting path, to 3, straight through paths (see attached diagram). And if you don't alter the endcap, it isn't much louder then stock, if at all, but it does have a deeper tone. As for power gains? I never tried in on a stock 400, but I can tell you it sure made a difference when I did it to my ported and cammed 416....

SubnetZero
08-03-2002, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by 400exNH
Don't bother with the stock exhaust mod. It's a waste. From what I understand some cheap redneck was bored while drinking beer in his garage.

I would also like to point out that it isnt from just "a cheap redneck drinking beer in his garage". I beleive Gabe has over 10K in his quad, points champ in his series, Tech Editor for a ATV EZINE, and has posted countless tips, info, mods, etc. for other riders (he was the first to point out the mis adjusted throttle I think). So before you start slagg'n off advice from people, you may want to research who they are imho....

250rampage
08-03-2002, 11:40 PM
I was gonna say something about gabe, but I forgot to put it on...Before he cut open his pipe, nobody really knew what was going on inside the stock silencer.

frogburner
08-04-2002, 11:59 AM
NOW What???

How do you do this little trick??? You listen for the throttle/Bore to bottom itself out at the top of the carb.??? What exactly has to be done???

flaneledholes
08-04-2002, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by frogburner
NOW What???

How do you do this little trick??? You listen for the throttle/Bore to bottom itself out at the top of the carb.??? What exactly has to be done???

Dont worry about all of that just adjust the throttle till there is no slack...

Nausty
08-05-2002, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by MOUSE

save weight, less parts, doesn't drag the brake when it needs adjusted.

Crazy4bluEx
08-05-2002, 05:53 AM
The best thing i have done to my quad so far is the removed choke, it makes a world of difference in throttle response, the throttle cable adjustment combined with this, made for a night and day difference ride the next morning. i had always wondered why my 300ex would almost keep up with the 400, it is quite simple. my throttle was only opening up at the most 3/4 of the way.

*k*:huh

Jay300ex
08-05-2002, 10:30 AM
I have a question about the whole adjust your throttle? I changed my throttle to a twist grip, and I make sure that I have enough slack in my cable. Is there any specific way to tell if its opening all the way up without taking it all apart and looking in the carb? Thanks

jay

400exNH
08-05-2002, 10:51 AM
Put the gabe alteration to a dyno, I bet it's worse than stock. True the airflow is more, but way to sloppy through the silencer chambers. The stock design is a tight, responsive airflow.

87Warrior
08-05-2002, 01:16 PM
best free modsfor a 400ex? who started that thread? he must have been pretty smart

MR.EX-TREME
08-05-2002, 01:30 PM
LOL....DONT FORGET THE SCOOP!!!!!!! LMAO!! BY THE WAY WHO'S THE DUMB ***** THAT CAME UP WITH THAT IDEA??:blah :huh :devil

250rampage
08-05-2002, 04:52 PM
The stock setup isn't a single pipe comming through the silencer, it's just tubes that connect the seperate chambers and is in no way tight and streamlined. Running without a silencer would yeild more power then any aftermarket silencer. It's just not practical.

sduncan
08-05-2002, 05:32 PM
Heres a reply that I posted earlier concerning the free mods that can be done.
"I just completed the free mod list. I am impressed with the way it ran at Oceano this past weekend. I raced several different EXs w/different mods. I can honestly say that I'm glad I didn't waste money on the stuff they had. A good friend has an EX w/ the full Sparks bolt on kit, i.e. X6 pipe,2mm bored carb, keyway, CDI, uni-filter, 14/41 gearing and 8 paddle haulers. Due to his gearing,he could take off hard in 2nd gear, whereas I started in first and grabbed 2nd quick. He would get 1 to 2 bike lengths out of the hole and that was it. I would consistantly stay within that 1 to 2 length for the run. For the record, I have done the pipe/muffler mods, uni-filter, 15/40 gearing and the snorkle mod. I use Sand Skate 2 paddles I ran a 148 main which looked a little lean but I didn't have a 150 or 152 w/ me. The quad is stripped of skidplates and has alumunum Renthals on it for weight reduction. THATS IT!! Oh, and I still have an extra $800.00 in my bank account!! My buddy was a little upset when I mentioned that.
Do the free mods and see what you think, I liked it. If you're not happy you can always step up and spend the cash.

Oh yea, I beat a stock Z400 w/ paddle tires and a 150lb rider over and over. No, I'm not a 14 yr old 120lb kid either, I'm a rapidly aging 34yr old who weighs in @ 260lb."

So in reply to someones question mentioned above, NO!, I don't think its faster just because its louder, I know it is because I can feel it while riding it. Try it. Don't be upset that you spent a lot of cash and may have wasted it. The one place that the aftermarket pipes have a definite advantage is the weight. No denying that.

00400EX
08-05-2002, 06:31 PM
Can I get an AAAAAAA MEN.

Doing the exhaust mod can only help IMO. What does it cost ? 0
If you don't want to do it , o.k. It's just hard for some people (I) to spend over $500 for a couple of ponies at most . Thats the best thing about life. Do what YOU want . Is one better than the other? yes , no , mabe . Its up to you to decide

Later Brian

08-05-2002, 08:37 PM
the throttle cable mod does help quite a bit, i jus did it earlier today and went riden, i noticed a difference. but i also found out that honda makes the cable a lil loose for a reason, when u let the air boot up all the way with tightening the cable, your head wil get hotter, and u have more of a chance 2 crack your heads.:( not good, so its up 2 u if u want it like that or not, im keeping it