PDA

View Full Version : Trinity Stage IV single Carb help

dsaint77
03-26-2006, 01:39 PM
I need to know where to start with jetting on this.

I purchased this bike and it just runs like crap on the lowend

Things I do know: PJ 35mm keihin with 168 main jet.

Things I dont know:

The pilot jet has no number, and there is nothing on the needle to identify it.

The bike has no low end and it spits and spudders in first and second gear. When you hit third and you get the rpms up the bike runs fast and has enough power to lift the front tires off the ground in 3rd - 6th. in 4 and 5th if your not careful it will try and flip you over backwards in the powerband.

the motor is bored out to a 370 and has t-5's. The needle is on its leanest setting and seems to be too rich. I didnt do plug chops because the motor is still new just finishing up the second tank of gas.

It fouls plugs.

Now I didnt check the air screw setting.

I think that the needle is part of the problem but I am not sure what needles I should be looking at. Maybe a cel or eel?

I should get a new pilot so I know what pilot is in there and then I would be able to tell where to go from there.

I am unsure of what I should be getting. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I posted at every other banshee site and trinity site and have gotten no responces.

I would appreciate any help given here.

Thanks,

Adam

Mxjunkie
03-26-2006, 01:44 PM
It sounds like your having the same problems I'm having with mine.

Mine was doing the same exact thing and it turns out I have the wrong needles in it.

Try fussing with the fuel to air screw.

Does it idle ok?

When you wack the throttle what does it do?

What color are the plugs?

When you get it running fine, check the plugs they should be a carmel/light brown color.

Also out of curoisty what plugs are in it? it should have ngk b8es

dsaint77
03-26-2006, 01:52 PM
it idles fine but its always like its loading up and it dosent rev up till your in third and getting into the powerband.

I am running B8ES, when I wack the throttle its like its loading up all the time till you have the RPMs up enough to what I think it handles the fuel its trying to dump into it.

The plugs are wet black. I know this means that its running rich, which makes me believe that the needle might be the problem, since its on the top clip meaning that the needle is all the way leaned out.

Adam

Mxjunkie
03-26-2006, 03:34 PM
I'd deff look into another needle and see what they have to offer.

#1atpikespeak
03-30-2006, 11:58 AM
You have two things working against you. Number one your pilot is way to rich tell me what altittude and engine mods you have and I will give you an idea for a pilot jet size. The second thing that I found helped my single carb quit loading up on the bottom was raising the compression. Mill the head or get an aftermarket head. Dont be such a tight *** and put ood fuel in it and you will love the results.

dsaint77
03-30-2006, 01:00 PM
Sea level alt. I actually live right at the beach and ride about 30 miles away. so my alt would be under 200ft at the most.

The compression of the bike is a 130 average with 125 and 135 respectively.

not sure what ood fuel is but I really dont want to run any type of high octane gas through it because it is a hastle to get the fuel. (I cant just pull up to the fuel farm and pull out 15 gallons of boat fuel and then throw it in my trunk).

I bought some needles, a cel, eek, eel and a 160 main jet because I still belive its jetted too much so after I get it running well I will play with that.

as far as mods it has wiesco pistons (which I think are crap personally), Toomey T 5's and it is bored out to 370.

The air box has been drilled which I also disapprove of even though they help the motor breathe better.

I appreciate all of the help that you guys have given me,

Thank you,
Adam

#1atpikespeak
03-30-2006, 01:54 PM
That was a typo I ment to type bad fuel. I would suggest a 58 or a 55 pilot jet at sea level on a stock engine. As for the needle my best suggestion would be to go on the internet and look for a conversion chart that will display the differences in needles by there letter identinfications. Then you can decide what part of the throttle response is troubling you and get a needle that will fit your situation. The letters on the needle represent 1 of the three sections of the needle as they taper off. 130 pounds of compression is the bare minimum in my book. I run a Trinity head at 195 pounds of compression on race gas. You should be able to bump your compression to at least 155 or 160 and still run 91 octane on a stock ignition. If you really want to make the engine work good on the bottom you should take your head off and have a local machine shop mill it 20 thousands. This corrected the problem in my engine and I think you will have the same results.

dsaint77
03-30-2006, 02:46 PM
hrrrm. I have a CnC machine at work. I will ask the machinist if he can do this for me. The only thing that sucks is setting it up. its a pain in the ***.

Thanks for the help!

Adam

dsaint77
03-31-2006, 05:02 PM
Well I belive that it is the Pilot Jet causing all my problems. Today I took the pilot out of my honda and tossed it in there. The pilot is too small but the banshee seems to run better.

The pilot that I put in there was a 48 and still have no clue what size the other one was. I believe that it was a 70something I just couldnt read it enough to tell. So I guess that I will be getting some 55 - 60 pilots and trying them out.

The 48 is not allowing the bike to idle well. I had to turn the choke all the way down with the other pilot and this one has to be all the way up and it barely stays idleing.

I ordered some new needles to try and see if that helps solve the problems and hopefully that and the pilot will be the fix that I am looking for.

These guys at trinity suck. I had called them to get a couple of parts, a cable and a new boot for the kit and they have no feelings on the phone other "Pay us, we will ship the part - goto hell"

I wouldnt be dealing with them if I didnt have to go through and fix someone elses hack job :(

Adam

dsaint77
04-04-2006, 08:35 PM
ok the fix.

Today I got some new needles in the mail.

I replaced the pilot with a 52 which made my idling a bit better. I adjusted the air screw to 1 1/2 turns out. Then I installed a CEL keihin needle on the center clip and put everything back together.

This dirty-ho cranks out all kinds of RPMS and has nice revs.

I havent had time to plug chop I will do that later when I get to vermont this weekend as cops there really dont give a flying bleep what you do on secondary roads as long as you pay $60.00 every 2 years for registration.

but I believe that I might have a bad crank seal on the right side now. The right cylinder was blowing more smoke than the left and the exhaust smells very detergenty.

im running Honda trans oil (85W) in the gear box.

/sigh, 50% done I guess

Adam

Mxjunkie
04-04-2006, 10:01 PM
Closer then me haha, I have to get pilot jets for mine, I'm running 340 mains with stock needles at the bottom postion.. Its so damn close :grr:

dsaint77
04-05-2006, 06:13 AM
your running a mikuni and I am running the Keihin though.

I have never had a Mikuni Carb so I dont know anything about them.

Adam