PDA

View Full Version : Radiator Low

JP400ex
03-26-2006, 10:21 AM
I noticed today that my coolant reservoir was about 1/2 inch over full. I opened up the radiator and couldn't see any antifreeze. I then put a piece of wire down inside the radiator and there was coolant in there but it was down about 2 inches. My question is why isn't it pulling from the reservoir and how did i get more in the overflow bottle than was there before? Should I fill the radiator directly?

zeppelin
03-26-2006, 12:40 PM
id fill it from the rad, then use a rubber mallet to tap the radiator to shake out any air bubbles. then after you ride it awhile take the rad cap off again and see how much is still in there. i could be wrong though, i am just speaking form experince from mx bike that dont have over flows :scary: .

bradrenea
03-26-2006, 08:22 PM
Had you been riding it? If you had and it had not cooled off completely that is your problem.
When you ride and the motor warms up the coolant expands, forcing the excess into the overflow. When it cools off (completely) the coolant contracts and causes a vacuum, which sucks it back into the radiator from the overflow.
Your cap could be bad, causing it not to work properly.