PDA

View Full Version : 400ex starting problem

400exrider2
03-26-2006, 09:01 AM
Hello, i just just got a new 2006 400ex march 11.when we got it the guy showed us how to start it and other stuff and it was a hot day. well ive been riding it any chance i get i live in wv so the weather is crazy. well anyways this past week has been very cold (20F -30F) and yesterday i was bored so i got it out. it started right up with choke on and i turned it off like 5 seconds after it started and it ran for a little bit then shut off and would not restart. i took the plug out and it was covered with carbon and it smelled like gas. well i got a new one today and this morning i put it in and i started it following what the manual says and it started right up for like 2 minutes then it shut off and everytime i would go to start it it would start but only run for about 2 or 3 seconds. well after doing this a couple hundred times and draining the battery i could tell it finally started and idled and warmed up. So i rode it around for about 3 hours ran perfect then i put it up for about 3 or 4 hours and got it back out again and it kept starting up and cutting off after a couple seconds. Then after a couple of minutes doing this it finally only wanted to idle on choke but when you would go to take it off choke and give a little gas it would cut off then it didnt start back up after that so i took the plug out and it was shot.the fourwheeler only has about 6 hours on it and ive never rode it hard yet just popping a few wheelies and riding them a couple feet but nothing stupid. there is a four wheeler mechanic that lives down the rode from me who has a kfx 400 all bored out and what not so i called him and told him the problem and he said it could be my oil pump or my accerlator pump in my carb causing it or the wrong kind of spark plug. I know i have the standerd spark plug in it now. Should i try the high speed riding one ? Then the shop told me that it is just me and the way im starting it or it could be the idle but the idle is fine. and people on the net say that they have the same problem and they are cold blooded and i better get used to it now. so do you have any ideas what the problem could be or any ideas how to start it easier? Could it be cause it was like 20F today?Well if you could help me out with this problem (since the manual cant help me start it any easier) i would be very happy.

Thanks,
Kyle

444ex racer
03-28-2006, 09:31 PM
does it turn over

plkmonster2
03-29-2006, 07:51 PM
Take it back to the shop if there is a problem. I wouldn't touch it. To start mine, you pump the throttle to full about 3 or four times, then put the choke on. It should run. If it dies, pump the gas a coupel more times and start it over. Keep doing this until it runs steady.