View Full Version : Sparks Degree Key?

Honda2000
03-25-2006, 10:51 PM
I have been thinking about getting a degree key. Are the worth the chances of overheating? It says to use on stock or close to stock motors. I have a stage 2 hotcam stock bore and a rev box, would the degree key have a chance of hurting my motor? Thanks

jordan_m6
03-26-2006, 08:41 AM
it is not recomended for high comp. or big bores. other than that you should be ok. i would recommend hd valve springs with your stage 2.

04'400ex'er
03-26-2006, 09:50 AM
Like earlier stated, You need to get some HD springs to go with the cam if you are going to run the rev box. Otherwise, you are taking a good chance of floating a valve if you ride on the limiter.
As for the key, it will be fine for your motor.

Honda2000
03-26-2006, 11:24 AM
THanks for the information. Where can i get heavy duty valve springs? Are they that hard to install? I am not a complete idiot around the 400 motor, but i don't feel extremely comforrtable tearing my motor Head apart. Thanks

400exrider0004
03-26-2006, 06:25 PM
do u need heavy duty valve springs for the HC stage 2 with out a rev box.

hauck400ex
03-26-2006, 07:23 PM
you dont need the flywheel key if you have the rev box, they do the same thing, the box advances your timing electronically and the key does it mechanically... if you do them both it could probably screw your motor up pretty bad

yfzfelix
03-26-2006, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by hauck400ex
you dont need the flywheel key if you have the rev box, they do the same thing, the box advances your timing electronically and the key does it mechanically... if you do them both it could probably screw your motor up pretty bad the key advances your timing by about 6 degrees, the rev box brings your timing advance in quicker, they both do not do the same thing!! we have run both on a stock bore ex for over a year with no problem, they work well with each other, with the timing being advanced we run super unleaded just to be on the safe side

Honda2000
03-26-2006, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by hauck400ex
you dont need the flywheel key if you have the rev box, they do the same thing, the box advances your timing electronically and the key does it mechanically... if you do them both it could probably screw your motor up pretty bad

Is he right? I just want to make sure. I do also have a rev box. will they both together hurt my motor? Will I have to run super Unleaded also?

400exrider707
03-26-2006, 09:12 PM
Not all boxes for the 400 advance timing actually, most just raise the rev limit. You should definitely be careful running the key and the box.:eek2:

Honda2000
03-27-2006, 07:20 PM
Has anyone had trouble running the degree key and the rev box?

04'400ex'er
03-27-2006, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by Honda2000
THanks for the information. Where can i get heavy duty valve springs? Are they that hard to install? I am not a complete idiot around the 400 motor, but i don't feel extremely comforrtable tearing my motor Head apart. Thanks Kibblewhite makes good valve springs. I think they are a WB product but Im not sure.

You do not need a set of springs for the Stg. 2 hotcams if you have the stock rev box. You just take a strong risk of floating a valve when you run the extra 1000 RPM's.

You should be ok with the box as long as it's not a dyna or such. If it's just like a WB box or such then it will only raise the rev limiter and is just a glorifyed XR250 box.

I would reccomend 93 octane for sure with the timing advance. I run that anyway, but It's a must for the Sparks Key.

jordan_m6
03-27-2006, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by 04'400ex'er
Kibblewhite makes good valve springs. I think they are a WB product but Im not sure.

You do not need a set of springs for the Stg. 2 hotcams if you have the stock rev box. You just take a strong risk of floating a valve when you run the extra 1000 RPM's.

You should be ok with the box as long as it's not a dyna or such. If it's just like a WB box or such then it will only raise the rev limiter and is just a glorifyed XR250 box.

I would reccomend 93 octane for sure with the timing advance. I run that anyway, but It's a must for the Sparks Key.

you just said it your self he is taking a "strong risk". if i knew of any risks i would spend the $100 for the springs rather than taking the risk of 300+ for valves, piston, gaskets, and the labor of fixing my stupidity for not lowering the chance of screwing my riding day up.

Honda2000
03-28-2006, 06:55 PM
Thanks for all of the help. Hopefully i can find HD valve springs soon.

Honda2000
03-28-2006, 07:49 PM
ok, I feel like a moron but i have searched and i can't find any HD valve springs. Does anyone know where to get them, and at the cheapest price. Thanks!!

04'400ex'er
03-29-2006, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by jordan_m6
you just said it your self he is taking a "strong risk". if i knew of any risks i would spend the $100 for the springs rather than taking the risk of 300+ for valves, piston, gaskets, and the labor of fixing my stupidity for not lowering the chance of screwing my riding day up. He would be taking a strong risk that I deffinately would not take, running the Stg. 2 and the black box. I was noting at the end of my post that the KEY would be fine on his motor IF he went with HD Springs.

Parts Unlimited carries Kibblewhite, Im sure C&D could find something also...

Chino886
03-29-2006, 09:51 AM
I have everything that you all have been talking to and it is fine.

I have a stage II Hot Cam, Hi Comp Piston, Sparks CDI, Sparks degree key. I have been running it hard in the dunes and on the track with no problems.

They don't recommend it because of heat.....so I am running 110.

Chino886
03-29-2006, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by jordan_m6
it is not recomended for high comp. or big bores. other than that you should be ok. i would recommend hd valve springs with your stage 2.

I don't agree with running HD springs, I have ran my stock vavle springs with my stage II since 7/05.

Do you have any technical data as to why?

jordan_m6
03-29-2006, 05:24 PM
at high rpms you are more likely to float a valve and take a chance on hitting it with your piston. wouldnt really hurt the piston to bad but you could possably bend a valve. then you would have wished you had hd springs cause your fix went from $100 to $200+

i dont know if you have a rev box but that is creating more of a risk than running a stock rev box

04'400ex'er
03-29-2006, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by Chino886
I don't agree with running HD springs, I have ran my stock vavle springs with my stage II since 7/05.

Do you have any technical data as to why? Call HotCams and ask to speak to the tech dept. Ask them if you take a risk of floating a valve with a rev box on the stock springs. They will tell you yes you do, and to be careful. I speak from personal experience. I did this before I installed my cam.

jordan_m6
03-29-2006, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by 04'400ex'er
He would be taking a strong risk that I deffinately would not take, running the Stg. 2 and the black box. I was noting at the end of my post that the KEY would be fine on his motor IF he went with HD Springs.

Parts Unlimited carries Kibblewhite, Im sure C&D could find something also...
sorry for that after actually reading my post i dont know how or why i said that