PDA

View Full Version : need help with axle for 300ex

redlineranger
03-25-2006, 06:11 PM
ok i took my trashed bent one off and put a new one on... i only want serious help from people who do this all the time with there 300ex.... on the rear brake side of the axle, there's this big bolt like thing with a thread on it, and it is supposed to mount up flush with the thing the brake rotor mounts up to. it also has the part that tightens it down. there is an indention on the axle for a lock ring(stops the bolt from spinning one way. now last night when i was takin it apart the lock nut was fitting right up with the bolt. but now, when the bolt is flush against the brake rotor mount, the bolt is a lil bit from the lock nut, causing it to tighten properly. the axle has play in it now and moves side to side a good bit. can anyone help. sorry i have no pictures to draw arrow's to what im talking about, but i hope someone can help. thanks in advance

prepracing
03-25-2006, 08:17 PM
if you have the smaller diameter wider nut as tight as you can get it against/over the lock ring ( that is what squeezes the nut against the rotor flange to keep your rearend tight ), then the larger diameter slimmer nut is supposed to be tightened up against the smaller nut as a backing/lock nut to keep it from backing off. If I understand you right you have that nut over against the rotor flange, which will serve no purpose. It needs to be tightened against the small nut to keep the rearend tight. BUT that may make no sense without pics :ermm:

redlineranger
03-25-2006, 08:25 PM
yes you understood me right prepracing, and yes what your saying make sense. i have the wider nut tightened on to the smaller one like your saying, but the lock nut isnt doing its purpose... the whole contraption will still spin(not spinning the axle, just spinning the nut). and you can move it to the right towards the hub which leave's play in the axle(moving side to side a good bit) the lock nut is not broke, so i have absolutely no idea what is wrong. im putting it back together the same way i took it off. i had no problems at all last night, but today its a big pain in the ***:cuss:

hope this explains a little more

prepracing
03-25-2006, 08:41 PM
so the one nut is tight against the lock ring ??? if it is then I have no idea. Go to the service honda website and go to the parts section and to 300ex section and to rear wheel axle. It shows the order everything goes on....just to double check yourself. http://www.servicehonda.com/hard%20parts/hard_parts.htm

redlineranger
03-25-2006, 08:47 PM
yea... i tried everything... im gonna go buy the number parts on that service honda thing so check that and you'll understand what im saying. i've got #10 bolted on to #6. then i have #9 bolted over #6 which puts it flush with #10, then i have all of that tightened over #13 the lock ring. #6 is supposed to be flush with the break rotor mount, but i have all of that stuff tightened down and it's still loose. im sorry these numbers may be confusing, but it's the only way i can explain it. i guess you can tell this is the first time i've torn the rear end apart.

prepracing
03-25-2006, 08:59 PM
looks like you have everything on correct , did you put new axle bearings in also ?? IF not you may have bad bearings or a bad carrier

redlineranger
03-25-2006, 09:04 PM
nah man my bearing's were alright... they've still got awhile on them. the carrier looked fine to me, but i just dont know what the hell it is.... is there supposed to be a lock ring up against the part of the bolt that's flush with the brake rotor mount.... im tryin to save money cus it's not under warranty and im not wanting to pay the high service fee to take it to a dealership.

prepracing
03-25-2006, 10:34 PM
theres the big snap ring that goes around the carrier that holds the caliper plate on. This snap ring also is what keeps your carrier from sliding thru the swingarm. Can you take a picture of your axle ?

redlineranger
03-26-2006, 04:01 PM
thanks for all the help prepracing i finally got it. it all comes down to i wasnt paying attention to what i was doin. again thanks for the help.