PDA

View Full Version : whats better thumb or twist trottle?

dirtdog450r
03-25-2006, 04:15 PM
whats better thumb or twist throttle

ZeroLogic
03-25-2006, 04:20 PM
Which ever one your more comfortable on.

dirtdog450r
03-25-2006, 04:26 PM
i heard someone say that the twist was to dangerous,and that its awkward

nicktrx400ex
03-25-2006, 04:30 PM
its basicaly like riding a dirt bike with twist.i like thumb

dirtdog450r
03-25-2006, 04:35 PM
who makes a good twist throttle

Honda TRX250ex
03-25-2006, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by dirtdog450r
who makes a good twist throttle
Motion pro. I would say stick with thumb. I don't know about other people but when i ride dirtbikes i have a hard time with twist trottles because somtimes my wrist locks when on the gas.

nakomis0
03-25-2006, 05:54 PM
You sit different on a dirtbike, and a dirt bike has much more suspension travel.

Stay Away from twist throttle on a quad unless its stricktly drag maybe. IMO

rooster300ex
03-25-2006, 06:09 PM
I can ride good with a twist on a quad, some people can't they hold it wide open on accident. I don't why its so hard to ride a quad with a twist.

2004exrider
03-25-2006, 06:13 PM
Twist is strictly for dirt bikes, its way to dangerous with a quad. When your on a dirt bike you steer a little but lean a lot of the time, with a quad you have to steer it and your wrist moves a lot which can make you give it more gas. It sucks because you hit little bumps or just a rough terrain and it tries to take off, also your first reaction if your about to wreck is to hold onto the grips even tighter so if your wheelying that can cause a little bit of a problem. I went from thumb to twist and am putting my thumb back on tonite. Theres a reason they dont come stock with twist throttle.

Jimmy

danniheyj82888
03-25-2006, 11:28 PM
i have ridden quads with a twist throttle since i was like 12.. the first thing i did to my 450r is put the twist throttle on it.. in fact i did that before i even rode it. i just dont feel confortable riding without my thumb wrapped around the grip.. holding on with my 4 fingers only doesnt feel as safe for me.. its all about how confortable u feel

bwamos
03-26-2006, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by danniheyj82888
i have ridden quads with a twist throttle since i was like 12.. the first thing i did to my 450r is put the twist throttle on it.. in fact i did that before i even rode it. i just dont feel confortable riding without my thumb wrapped around the grip.. holding on with my 4 fingers only doesnt feel as safe for me.. its all about how confortable u feel

I feel the opposite. I dont like a twist int he woods. In really rough terrain you really cant "hold on" with both hands. You have to do all of the bracing with your left hand. There's a lot more feedback on an atv. I have no problems using a twist in the rough woods on a dirtbike, but it's not my idea of a good time on an atv.

However, in the dunes, TT, Drag, and even MX, you cant really beat a twist. But, I'm all thumb when it comes to XC.

Note: I used the Twist throttle in the woods before I had installed a steering damper. I'm sure that would help a LOT.

Old Head
03-26-2006, 02:18 PM
Stick with the thumb throttle quads are alot heavier and more to handle. Last thing ya want is to be blipping the throttle while trying to hold on in rough terrain.

IrideMHSC
03-26-2006, 07:24 PM
Yea thumbs the way to go on a quad... holding on to a twist in the whoops and on hill climbs suck you can get on the gas when you dont want to and be pretty disastorous thats just my 2 cents worth

raptor brothers
03-26-2006, 09:15 PM
I've always been a dirt bike guy & got my first quad like 2 years ago.It took some getting used to the thumb throtle,but I think it's better.A quad throws you around alot more than a bike & a accidental goose on the gas could be disastrous.Good example is when you land a jump on one rear wheel(accidetally).Bikes are alot easier to throw around & more forgiving on landings.

ak_stick
03-27-2006, 02:47 PM
I like my twist. It does take some more getting used to but I feel I have more control over my range of throttle with it.

I've ridden for about 12 years now with thumbs and just switched when I got my 250, and I'll never go back on a sport quad. But you do have to re-learn alot of things.

Now that I have Nitrus on my quad, I might have to re-think my approach though.

wilkin250r
03-27-2006, 04:19 PM
Really, it comes down to personal preference.

Some people bring up very good points. Typically, a quad has more feedback than a dirtbike (that feeling of hitting a rock with your wheel, and it causes the handlebars to turn). Also, you typically move the bars more on a quad than a dirtbike.

However, those factors are rather insignificant when compared to YOUR OWN comfort and characteristics. If you're used to riding a twist throttle, then a thumb throttle will feel unnatural to you, and tire you out much faster.

If an emergecy situation arises, you need to give it gas quickly, you need to stop quickly, you need to hold on tighter to the bars, whatever the situation. You're MUCH more likely to make the correct, instinctual move if you're using something you're used to and comfortable with.

Forget what is safer based on "having all fingers on the bars" or "accidently twisting the throttle". You are going to be much safer based on your REACTION to an emergency situation. If you are more comfortable with a twist, and you've already developed the necessary reactions using a twist, then a twist is probably best for you.

dirtdog450r
03-27-2006, 05:22 PM
hey thanks fellas i really appreciate the positive feedback i recieved from my fellow quad brothas,im a sportbike bike rider for about 15 years now,i had to sell my sportbikes because i cant keep it in double digits and my rear tire wears down a hell of alot sooner than my front,plus the wifey caught me 12 oclockin it over I291,and she didnt approve,so i chose to play in the dirt now,and its a effin blast,i cant believe i waited this long,to have this much fun,anyway i will be posting alot of questions about my new past time,and im anxious to learn more,thanks a mill.....Dirtdog450r..(quads wheelie even better hahahah)i luvit:devil:

03-27-2006, 11:15 PM
i have a motion pro twist throttle and i love it!! some people say its harder to control when hitting bumps and stuf, not to me i can kat walk mine 1-5gear with no problems. (i would never go back to thumb)

o and my thumb never hurts after riding! :p