PDA

View Full Version : 02 400ex

zr440snopro
03-25-2006, 07:55 AM
Hi its been 6months since i rode my machine.And my freinds are getting me to put time into it and it is just giving me trouble.And now i am getting time to work on it.
I have a 02 honda 400ex with lots of stuff and i cant get her running right
i have a white brothers e series full setup i have k&n airfilter,White brothers cdi box,and thats it as far as the engine goes.
it keeps not wanting to stay running.i start it up and it idels fine then when it comes to giving it gas and then letting it back down.it kinda pops to a little bit.
i think it is the jetting but not sure.i have a 165 main and a 42 pilot and needle is on the 3rd clip and i think 2 1/2 turns out for fuel and air mixture
any help would be very helpful
Thanks Jim
If you have any info please email me at lamarboarder11@yahoo.com

2004exrider
03-25-2006, 09:22 AM
If its been sitting for 6 months theres a few things you'll need to do that can help out. Two possibilities, gas is either stale or there's condensation in it. Drain all the gas from the tank and drain the carb, it will probably be better to completely clean out the carb because its probably gummed up in the bowl and in your jets. Put in a new spark plug, that can do wonders a lot of the time and save you from having a big headache. If it was running fine before you put it away then it should run good after you do this.

Jimmy

zr440snopro
03-25-2006, 09:36 AM
i already did all that and it had problems before i let it sit since i just got done rebuilding a sled thinking we would have a great winter but barely put 200miles on it yea
i did all that and its still not running right i think it is the jets i mean i have common knowledge about it but not that much about these machines.Any ideas about it
Thanks
Jim

2004exrider
03-25-2006, 09:46 AM
Maybe try taking the airbox lid off, if it runs worse then you are running lean, better then you're too rich. Your jetting sounds pretty good though:confused: Do you still have your stock rev box try putting that on and see if it helps any.

Jimmy

redracer10
03-25-2006, 09:47 AM
Its gotta be your carb. gas sittin for 6 months isnt good for these machines, if it still doesent work after you clean out the carb. take it to a dealer and have them clean your carb. and install a new spark plug, the spark plug is probably what is making your 4-wheeler cut out like that. it probably wont run right for awhile if its sat for 6 months, you dont need to ride it all the time just 1 a week go start your atv to get everything fresh in the gas and just let it run for 5-10 minutes if you cant ride it alot. You also may have water in your gas or another liquid.

redracer10
03-25-2006, 09:50 AM
dont put a rev box on it without engine work done. If you dont have hot cams or 440

zr440snopro
03-25-2006, 09:57 AM
OK tried air box lid off cleared up a bit and i have to try the stock cdi box
just a ? why not use the wb cdi box with out engine work? does it not make that much a of a impact or something?
thanks so much help is very appreciated!
Jim

zr440snopro
03-25-2006, 10:00 AM
would dry gas mixed in the gas make it cut out or anything?
and how would i know i dont want to waste time thinking it will clear up and it doesnt.I do know i might have dry gas in it for sitting in the cold since i live up here in new york near the lake always cold up here.
Thanks
Jim

redracer10
03-25-2006, 12:55 PM
the dry gas will just put your carb. through hell and back, a bad carb. doesent do the jets any good at all so theres one problem probably. A bad spark plug is going to make your 4-wheeler cut out. You have to know your atv is still gunna cut out once you start it up if you havent ran it for 3 days it will start up and die about 5 times because of the gas flow. It needs constant gas flow. Just start your atv up once or twice a week and let it run for 5-10 minutes thats all you have to do its only gunna take 5 minutes out of your time and it will help your atv tremendously. But dry gas wont turn to gas, dry gas will always be dry gas....thats like having dry paint..It is always dry paint no matter how much you stir it up. drain all your gas out of your 400 and put brand new gas, try for now Super Unleaded it has higher octaine so it will help its performance for now one gas flow and letting it sit longer it wont dry up like gas does. Then take your spark plug out and replace it. If that doesent work I'd buy new jetting and air filter for it.