PDA

View Full Version : difference in banshees

iwannaride202
03-24-2006, 09:47 PM
i was just wondering what the differences were of an older banshee compared to a newer one....what is so much different about the 87 (i beleive that was the first year they came out) and the new 2006's.....i was just wondering because i was pondering on purchasing a shee......thnx.....

eganracing
03-24-2006, 09:57 PM
i remember reading in a magazine that the banshee really hasnt changed in the course of the years.

enquadrider16
03-24-2006, 10:11 PM
the first year they had j arms which sucked really bad, the engine is unchanged however, and the best btw. the only other thing that ireally kno is pretty much the brakes and thats about it.

iwannaride202
03-24-2006, 10:28 PM
i thought that they had stayed pretty much the same but was not 100% sure.....

Mxjunkie
03-25-2006, 09:17 AM
the newer banshees have differnt lights and I think differnt bars.

The brake light actually works on the new ones when you push the brake too I belive.

hondaboy400ex55
03-25-2006, 12:20 PM
i know the 87 had J arms

but the motor has been the same power plant for 18 years!!!

Meat
03-25-2006, 06:02 PM
The J-arms were from '87 to '90.

The rear tires were 22 inches from '87 to '90.

Older Banshee had a different sprocket hub, the older banshees had a 4 bolt hub, the newer models have a 6 bolt hub. I think the change to a 6 bolt hub was in '91.

Front and rear sprocket sizes were different on the '87 to '90 models, the gear ratio's were changed in '91 to compensate for the smaller '20 inch rear tires. The older models ran a 13 tooth front sprocket while all the newer models(91-06) come with a 14 tooth. The number of teeth on the rear sprocket also changed at this time, If I recall there was only a one tooth difference and I can't remember how many teeth each style had.

The front spindles. '87 to '90 = old style

The front brake calipers. '87-'90 = old style

Somewhere in the '90's, prolly 1991 the frame got a coupla gussets added.

The wiring harness connectors. There's defintly two different style of connectors, and there might be third style of connector that was used. Two for sure tho.

iwannaride202
03-25-2006, 06:26 PM
hey meat, thnx a lot....i had always heard that they basically remained the same......but it sounds like it would be best to get a 91 model or newer because that was when the major changes were made......and that is actually the year of the bike i was planning on purchasing was a 91 but i still am not sure if i want a banshee or a four stroke.......i do a lot of woods riding....almost all.....but for some reason i am really wanting a banshee....but thnx for the info.....

Meat
03-25-2006, 07:58 PM
you can have fun with a banshee in the woods and on trails, they're not as bad as everyone says. If your new to the sport, then stick to a 4 stroke, but if you know how to ride a banshee's powerband, they're fine in the woods. They need to go fast to make em run good and that can get you into trouble fast, so make sure your riding ability is up to riding a banshee in the woods.

If you ever plan on racing in the woods, like hare scrambles or xc stuff, then go 4 stroke. no brainer there.

iwannaride202
03-25-2006, 08:18 PM
i have been riding since i was little....so experience and ability is good.....as for two strokes i know how they go since i am currently riding a RM 125.....which is my first dirtbike ever but i have had plenty of experience on quads....as for racing i don't plan to do a lot of it....but i might do a few local harescrambles....i dunno what i want.....but thnx anyway.....

brian250racer
03-27-2006, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by Meat
The J-arms were from '87 to '90.

The rear tires were 22 inches from '87 to '90.

Older Banshee had a different sprocket hub, the older banshees had a 4 bolt hub, the newer models have a 6 bolt hub. I think the change to a 6 bolt hub was in '91.

Front and rear sprocket sizes were different on the '87 to '90 models, the gear ratio's were changed in '91 to compensate for the smaller '20 inch rear tires. The older models ran a 13 tooth front sprocket while all the newer models(91-06) come with a 14 tooth. The number of teeth on the rear sprocket also changed at this time, If I recall there was only a one tooth difference and I can't remember how many teeth each style had.

The front spindles. '87 to '90 = old style

The front brake calipers. '87-'90 = old style

Somewhere in the '90's, prolly 1991 the frame got a coupla gussets added.

The wiring harness connectors. There's defintly two different style of connectors, and there might be third style of connector that was used. Two for sure tho.

Man, you pretty much have it covered there!!!! :D But you forgot one thing... I think it was '89 or '90 that they had 4 on 156 rear hubs on it!!! :devil:

SheeRider
03-30-2006, 06:45 PM
yep meat covered most of it. 89-90 had a larger rear hub and a different bolt pattern. I think in 03 they put on a different tail light. And they put the T.O.R.S. on some time around 2000 I think.

If your not into racing (mx, or woods) id get one. It was my first two stroke and I bought it when I was 13. There not much to handle in stock form.

Meat
03-31-2006, 03:50 PM
yup i forgot the rear hubs.... :ermm:

The Tors have been on the carbs from the very beginning, back in '87. My '88 had TORS.

Rkhard
04-12-2006, 12:41 PM
dont ferget in 03 or 04 they went to raptor style bars

terboed
04-13-2006, 12:54 PM
well that perdy much covers it. i think in 01 they started riveting on the 16> stickers, so when removed your left with unsightly holes. TORS has allways been a part of the shee. and should be the first thing to go. pipes, filters, advanced timing, and shave the head .0030 and your good to go. porting is the next big step as yamaha had to reduce power output to make it "safe" by crouding the ports. these mods can put you in the 50-60 whp area on pump fuel.