PDA

View Full Version : New Clutch, creeping, cant find neutral

latheboy
03-24-2006, 08:38 PM
I just put in a new ebc clutch. The stocker was shot. I adjusted the cable properly, but it still creeps when put in gear, and is very hard to find neutral. I did soak the friction plates and lubed the steels. My clutch basket does have some grooves in it, about .020 deep on the fingers. With the stock plates i had no trouble finding neutral or getting the clutch to disengage. I will ride tommorow, maybe the plates will wear in a bit?? Here is a pic of my basket. The clutch seemed to pull fine with the stock plates, so i figure the basket is ok yet.

lafinrat
03-24-2006, 08:43 PM
you need a new basket--pretty common

latheboy
03-24-2006, 08:47 PM
I agree the basket is worn, but why didnt I have any problems finding neutral with the stock clutch plates?

lafinrat
03-24-2006, 08:50 PM
think about it. the stock plates made those grooves. they fit in them perfect. the new plates--which are slightly thicker--hang up on those grooves. you need a basket.

latheboy
03-25-2006, 08:24 PM
I went out and rode it today. Clutch hooked up well, but was still creeping and hard to shift/find neutral. After about an hout of off and on riding, my clutch cable broke. Next week I will replace said cable. Maybe a new cable will also help get the clutch dissenaged.

bh2285
03-25-2006, 08:39 PM
Fork out the cash and get a new basket.

Flyin-Low
03-25-2006, 08:43 PM
Take the plates off, and take a REAL fine file and take out the grooves. All i did and mine is MINT now. Good Luck.

-Martin

lafinrat
03-26-2006, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by latheboy
I went out and rode it today. Clutch hooked up well, but was still creeping and hard to shift/find neutral. After about an hout of off and on riding, my clutch cable broke. Next week I will replace said cable. Maybe a new cable will also help get the clutch dissenaged.

Or maybe the mis-adjustment in an attempt to compensate for a wore out basket will again break the clutch cable and later wear out your new frictions.

jiffers
03-26-2006, 08:28 AM
just file the groves out works like a charm but dont go to much been there done that before on my race enduro solos to get me through a few lean months

GIXXER1KR
03-26-2006, 04:46 PM
Dont file it buy a new one.Half assing it would only cost you more in the long run!Get a new basket!!!!!

QuadJunkies
03-26-2006, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by Flyin-Low
Take the plates off, and take a REAL fine file and take out the grooves. All i did and mine is MINT now. Good Luck.

-Martin

DO NOT Do this... Thats JMO.. The depth change is what makes it go bad!!! I STRONGLY DO NOT Reccomend...

I used to have a Barnett,I went back to Stock and replaced my Basket as well.I found OEM to be best so far .

You DEF. need a new basket from what Im seeing, mine wasnt nearly as bad as yours and I replaced mine.Ill see if I cant find a pic of mine and post it for you...

My stock Basket and plates lasted me for 3 years before I started losing Nuetral, I neded up having some Forks and Dogs that needed rplaced as well. Have you check your Forks?

QuadJunkies
03-26-2006, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by GIXXER1KR
Dont file it buy a new one.Half assing it would only cost you more in the long run!Get a new basket!!!!! !!!;)

latheboy
03-29-2006, 05:25 PM
This is what I did. I am a CNC machinest by trade. I skimmed off all the clutch fingers on the "driven" side. (the side the plates lock against under power) I also cut the slots for the last friction plate on top of the basket fingers, all in the same setup. I milled the same off each finger, using a CNC indexing plate. I can understand how filing them off is hack. If you file more or less off each finger, the plates will not lock into the basket at exactly the same point. Thats bad!

Anyway, I milled the fingers to cleanup. 2 fingers have just a trace of the old wear mark yet. The the basket slots are 14mm (.550) wide stock. Mine are now .565. I will be installing and running this this weekend. Ill post results.

hrc
03-29-2006, 05:57 PM
I know this is kid of off topic but I saw a hinson clutch cover the other day and was wondering how would it go on? It does not look like you can take just the clutch cover off it looks like you have to take the whole side peice off. I figured you would know because you had had to take it off to get to the clutch.

jeremy_283
03-30-2006, 01:02 PM
before you do anything i was just thinkin your pressureplate which i think thats wat it is could be worn