PDA

View Full Version : Shockwears yes or no?

Stevo
07-25-2002, 11:40 PM
Hey guys im considering getting some shock wears for my quad, most likely black ones, anyone have any pics of them on their 400 with red plastic and 2000 if u can???

Also are they bad on the shocks like i've heard some people say???

Woodsrider
07-26-2002, 12:08 AM
I reccomend them, they protect the seals from the dirt. You still have to take them off and clean them and the shocks.
Here is a pic of mine with red covers.

Tommy 17
07-26-2002, 12:47 AM
heres u go

07-26-2002, 01:19 AM
get em, they keep sand and water and yada from gettin into the seals and muckin it up, the only damage they can do is scratch the paint on the springs, its like runnin a pillow case on a pillow, no damage at all

SGA
07-26-2002, 07:31 AM
I have noticed alot of the fast racers do not run them. The shocks do build up ALOT of heat under the covers, maybe thats the reason, to keep them cool. Or maybe they want the shocks to show if they are sponsered by the shock company. My aftermarket shocks run alot hotter than my stockers did though.

07-26-2002, 09:16 AM
I like Blue.

07-26-2002, 09:18 AM
sry

Teufel
07-26-2002, 09:20 AM
they are good for minimizing the dirt and rocks. Just be sure to take the off and clean under them

07-26-2002, 11:31 AM
I like Shockwears and I recommend them for most riders. The main complaint I've heard about them is that they rub the paint off the shock springs, which they will do. However, what I'm worried about is protecting my shock shaft and seals, not the paint on the springs. By running Shockwears you prevent roosted rocks, sticks, mud, etc, from hitting your shock shaft (which could nick it and then ruin it and the seals) and you prevent dirt, leaves, and sticks from packing up in the springs and around the shaft. I even run Shockwears on stock Honda shocks which have the little plastic protectors for the shafts, because the Shockwears prevent mud and such from packing up in the springs. I demand Shockwears on all my aftermarket shocks. Also, Shockwears are much more of an asset for woods riding than in MX, because in the woods you are getting roosted with everything imagineable and since most trails are one line, there is no way to get out of the roost. I run Shockwears for MX too, because practically every track has some rocks and/or mud on it from time to time. Just pull the Shockwears off from time to time and spray off the shock with clean water, spray out the inside of the Shockwear, then reinstall.

As to red or black Shockwears, I have the red ones on a red 400 and my buddy has the black ones on a red 400. I like both colors on a red 400, but if I had it to do over, I would have put black ones on mine too.

spincr4hire
07-26-2002, 01:04 PM
I drop the Shockwears into the washing machine after a good muddy ride, they clean right up.

Nausty
07-26-2002, 02:44 PM
I like them. It makes it so you don't have to take a wash cloth to the springs which can be a pain and the most you will have to do is dust it off. Plus they look good.

Dave400ex
07-28-2002, 10:12 AM
Well Shockwears do take the paint off. I had some on my stock shocks. Now I got my Elka`s and I am running Elka Shock Covers which I think are much better and won`t take the paint off, I hope.

phatswinn
07-28-2002, 08:23 PM
YES

MxDale71
07-28-2002, 09:34 PM
It doesn't matter if it rubs paint off. The paint is for the looks, so what would that matter if they are covered up?

07-28-2002, 09:54 PM
You still have to take them off and clean them and the shocks.
they keep sand and water and yada from gettin into the seals and muckin it up, the only damage they can do is scratch the paint on the springs
The main complaint I've heard about them is that they rub the paint off the shock springs, which they will do. However, what I'm worried about is protecting my shock shaft and seals, not the paint on the springs.
Well Shockwears do take the paint off. I had some on my stock shocks. Now I got my Elka`s and I am running Elka Shock Covers which I think are much better and won`t take the paint off, I hope.
It doesn't matter if it rubs paint off. The paint is for the looks,

Some great points guys. The main reason for the shockwear is to keep dirt from cacking up on the shaft and later cutting little holes in the shock seals. All the other things just seem to be part of the package.

I have found that if you would like to stop the abrasive action the covers perform on the springs it helps tremendously to not wrap them too tight. I had tried a little experiment with a 00 and 01 400ex. The 00 was wraped normal or tight and the 01 was wrapped very loosly (all the vent holes in the velcro strip were exposed) and the spring could travel inside mostly without rubbing the cover.

The effect on the springs powder coating was very obvious, and the 00 had a lot more wear and red left inside the cover. The 01 still had some residual red color inside but not anyware near what the tighter wraped 00 did.

Also just a thought but isnt the paint or powdercoat on the spring there for corrosion resistance? I wouldnt want to be runing rusted springs on a set of 1,000.00 dollar shocks.

There is a good article on MX-Tech.com www.MX-Tech.com (http://) about how to increase the life of your shock(fork seals too since its a bike site) shafts and seals.

Nausty
07-28-2002, 10:04 PM
I think the powdercoating is just mainly for looks and yes will help in corrosion but if you have shockwears its gonna be harder for the water to get in there anyways unless you go riding in a creek or something and it pry has a bunch of coats of powdercoating and a clear coat and if the springs go which they won't but if they did you could just buy new ones. You wouldn't have to buy all new shocks and actually i think bee bought a bunch of springs for his r.

Castor-426ex
07-28-2002, 11:03 PM
has anyone ever had there shockwears come off while ridin?
and is there suppose to be a string to help secure them? thanks

Dave400ex
07-29-2002, 10:10 AM
If you put them On right they shouldn`t come off. I have never had any Problems. They are held on by Velcro.