PDA

View Full Version : Works vs. Elka

DieselTech
03-24-2006, 04:39 PM
Can anyone give any comparisons between these two? Model for comparable model? I have a Banshee that I'd like to upgrade the suspension on - it's killing me on the landings!

How good are the standard Elkas (no adjustability besides ride height)? I can get a set of Alba +2+1 arms, brake lines, and Elka shocks for $850 (new, right off thier site), but I'm concerned about whether or not the shocks are very good - seems to me that it's alot of hardware for too low a price, and usually that means something has to be compromised - I'm guessing it's the shocks.

400exmkt
03-24-2006, 05:40 PM
Either one will be a masive improvment from stock but from what i am getting you cant go wrong with the elkas. I have them and they work great. It all depends how aggresive you ride. You are getting what you pay for.

bwamos
03-24-2006, 07:11 PM
Elka is the better system for sure.

Works are much better than stock, but Elkas are much better than works. ;)

04TRX400EX
03-24-2006, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by bwamos

Elka makes great shocks. You are not compromising quality of shocks with the Alba/Elka package, just adjustability. Elka makes several different types of shock, from the basic Rec Series (which is what you are talking about), to their Sports/Race Series, and then their Elites. The Rec Series Elka's are less expensive than the rest becuase they don't have compression or rebound adjustability. They will still be a huge improvement over stock since they are triple-rate and valved/sprung according to your weight and riding style.

DieselTech
03-25-2006, 05:59 AM
It also says on Alba's website that the shocks can be upgraded to remote reservoirs with a kit. Does this then give you adjustable compression and rebound?

400exmkt
03-25-2006, 10:06 AM
When you order them they will give you a choice. If you want remote rezzies, comp. rebound, and all that. But all that is going to cost you extra. There basic package probly is just including plain triple rate elkas with no adjustments or rezzies. Golden west cycle, janssen motorsports, legacy atv, and moto joes all have good deals on packages from standard travel to longtravel. I tried to deal with alba but do not care for the way they treat you as a customer.

DieselTech
03-25-2006, 03:34 PM
Right, I understand that I can get whatever I want in the kit, but what I mean is that the remote rezzies can be added later, and when they are, does that include adjustibility for compression and rebound. I assume that it can be made that way, but the shocks most likely need to come out and go to a certified suspension expert to have the kit installed.

I'm basically considering the following options:
1) yank the stock front shocks, buy a used pair of YFZ450 front shocks on ebay & install them (a few people have said this is a simple install w/slight grinding of the lower end of the shocks - not sure if there are any other issues though). I would retain the stock a-arms. This seems like a very cost-effective option, about $200.
2) purchase a kit like the Alba kit (something under $1000). This would be a very good performance improvement (I assume) due to the better a-arm geometry (+2+1) and Elka shocks (even though they are Rec series). How this option compares in performance to the first option is unlear to me, but it would be a great improvement over stock I assume.

The first option appeals to me b/c it means I can spend money on the rear suspension too, which again has a few options. I can send the stock shock out to get resprung and/or revalved ($200 or so), or purchase a new rear shock ($550-$1000) for the stock swinger, or purchase a kit with a new shock, swinger, and axle ($1600+). I'm not looking to spend $3000 on the suspension at once though, I'm thinking a more progressive build-up. So, I'd like to purchase components that can be reused with new components (for example, put new shocks on 1st, then a-arms later. New rear shock first, swinger & axle later). This is where the hard part comes in - making these choices. That's where I need some advice from people that have been thru similar builds.

coolex
03-25-2006, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by bwamos

thats the truth

03-26-2006, 02:05 PM
Elka overall is a way better shock then the Works shock, i would for sure go with the elka

blakefoote
03-27-2006, 06:51 AM
ide say elka for sure!!!

400exMO
03-27-2006, 11:07 AM
You might want to try to get the elkas from a shock servicing company. I just got my elkas and they're WAY to stiff. But Elka's notorious for valving being alittle off. But either way they're excellent shocks.

400exrider707
03-27-2006, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by DieselTech
Right, I understand that I can get whatever I want in the kit, but what I mean is that the remote rezzies can be added later, and when they are, does that include adjustibility for compression and rebound. I assume that it can be made that way, but the shocks most likely need to come out and go to a certified suspension expert to have the kit installed.

I'm basically considering the following options:
1) yank the stock front shocks, buy a used pair of YFZ450 front shocks on ebay & install them (a few people have said this is a simple install w/slight grinding of the lower end of the shocks - not sure if there are any other issues though). I would retain the stock a-arms. This seems like a very cost-effective option, about $200.
2) purchase a kit like the Alba kit (something under $1000). This would be a very good performance improvement (I assume) due to the better a-arm geometry (+2+1) and Elka shocks (even though they are Rec series). How this option compares in performance to the first option is unlear to me, but it would be a great improvement over stock I assume.

The first option appeals to me b/c it means I can spend money on the rear suspension too, which again has a few options. I can send the stock shock out to get resprung and/or revalved ($200 or so), or purchase a new rear shock ($550-$1000) for the stock swinger, or purchase a kit with a new shock, swinger, and axle ($1600+). I'm not looking to spend $3000 on the suspension at once though, I'm thinking a more progressive build-up. So, I'd like to purchase components that can be reused with new components (for example, put new shocks on 1st, then a-arms later. New rear shock first, swinger & axle later). This is where the hard part comes in - making these choices. That's where I need some advice from people that have been thru similar builds.

When you upgrade the rec series later down the road with the ressies, you will NOT get the adjustments. Its still the same shock but with a ressi and more oil.

400exMO
03-28-2006, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
When you upgrade the rec series later down the road with the ressies, you will NOT get the adjustments. Its still the same shock but with a ressi and more oil.
You can get the upgraded rec series with compression adj. also.