PDA

View Full Version : broke my masterlink on install.....

sixer3
03-24-2006, 04:22 PM
broke the clip thats suppose to retain the new master-link....how the f did that happen

-- does anyone know if did sells just the masterlink or retaining clip or fo a site that has some ....its an x-ring 520.? thanks

i've installed plenty of chains......im not sure how this clip broke ir broke right in the middle of where it makes its "u-turn"

EXevan91
03-24-2006, 04:47 PM
lol ya i broke mine to, there defective go to your local dealer and they sould have a master link kit in the lil bag

JW450R1
04-10-2006, 04:53 AM
i've been having some problems with master links my self.the plate before u installed the clip will not go on far enough.so i took a file and made the holes a little bit bigger,then it went on.i really don't know if it is right,but it worked for me.

440_Turtle
04-10-2006, 06:04 AM
did the same thing just last week

bwamos
04-10-2006, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by JW450R1
i've been having some problems with master links my self.the plate before u installed the clip will not go on far enough.so i took a file and made the holes a little bit bigger,then it went on.i really don't know if it is right,but it worked for me.

Common problem witht he DID chains. The plate goes on to the groove, but wont go past it. I always keep a couple masterlinks in my toolbox, that are prefitted (by reaming the holes), so anyone that has to replace a chain in the field doesn't get screwed.. lol.

I think when DID makes the grooves, the surrounding material swells a little, and the endplate won't quite fit.

JW450R1
04-10-2006, 07:24 AM
wow.i wonder who isn't doing there job right.they can't be testing these things before they sell out right

440_Turtle
04-10-2006, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by bwamos
Common problem witht he DID chains. The plate goes on to the groove, but wont go past it. I always keep a couple masterlinks in my toolbox, that are prefitted (by reaming the holes), so anyone that has to replace a chain in the field doesn't get screwed.. lol.

I think when DID makes the grooves, the surrounding material swells a little, and the endplate won't quite fit.

Yeah so how are we suppose to get it on, i tried for atleast an hour b4 mine broke. it just would not go on. im runnign a DID o-ring? Any pointers woudl greatly help..

bwamos
04-10-2006, 12:23 PM
Get out the dremel tool and ever so slightly bore out the endplate holes until it just fits over it. It only needs to loose a couple hundreths of an inch.

I'm not sure if it's the swelling of the metal, or their coating of the pins that causes the problems, but I've seen a lot of DID o-ring chain masterlinks with that issue.

JW450R1
04-10-2006, 02:20 PM
yes u said it.just be careful not to go to much.little-by-little:macho