PDA

View Full Version : engine stalling

Eddiesanders250
03-24-2006, 03:45 PM
i was at the coast a week ago and was riding my 250 at high speed, pushing it pretty hard. i slowed down and ran it in third for a while then all of a sudden it stalled. When i tried to start it again it seemed like there was lower compression. I finally got it started after 10 minuets or so and it seemed to run just fine. The compression was back to normal also (at least what i could tell from kicking it over.) The next day i went out riding and it was running fine. I raced my cousin in a drag and i stopped. the engine slowly iddled down then turned off. I tried to kick it back over and the same thing happened. There seemed to be less compression and it would not start for 5 mins. Im wondering if it is just a fuel problem. I have a 38mm carb on it and the cylinder is supposed to be stock.(so says the guy i bought it from.) anyways what else could be wrong with it?

hondardr4life
03-24-2006, 04:20 PM
Sounds like you need a new piston / rings. That would be my guess. When was the last time it was rebuilt?? Its not like its hard to rebuild or that it costs that much, it could probablly use a freshining anyways. Thats just my opinion, it could be a fuel issue also, but does not sound liek it.

BLACKeR
03-25-2006, 06:24 AM
have you checked to see what your compression actually is?

rebelbanshee
03-25-2006, 07:06 AM
your right foot is not a good compression tester. check it with a gauge so you can know for sure.

Could be electrical, sometimes coils or CDIs get hot they dont work if they are broken.

Maybe your gas tank vent is pinched so it isnt getting good gas flow and goes dry after some riding.

Just some ideas

beerock
03-25-2006, 05:51 PM
you could have popped a ring

do a compression test.

honestly doing a compresiion test wont tell you much if you never testted the compression before this problem started..

could be reeds your air screw could have worked its way out.

etc

start with the compresion test and check your carb air screw. you could also have junk in the carb

are you running a fuel filter? most fuel filters restrict fuel consumption unless your running one like mine