PDA

View Full Version : XBOX Live---Need Some Help

CaptainCanuck
03-24-2006, 03:24 PM
Hi,

I'm setting up an account for xbox live and I have it wired into a router. Everytime i begin the process of starting up a new account, it says for me to make sure that the DNS server is set to automatic. And from there, i have no clue what to do. Anyone?

03-24-2006, 03:35 PM
if you have to enter in a password to get online you will need to enter that username and password in.

CaptainCanuck
03-24-2006, 03:41 PM
the account isnt even set up. I have no password or even username to type in yet. It pops up right away when I press "Set up new account".

Rico400
03-24-2006, 04:12 PM
u might have to go to the setting on ur xbox and switch it to automatically find dns.. if that doesnt work u might have to manually type it in. if that doesnt work, i would check to see if ur router is xbox compatable... i think theres a list on xbox.com or w/e there site is i forgot

400ex28
03-24-2006, 04:44 PM
if you havnt yet, you have to switch over ip's to the router from the computer.

CaptainCanuck
03-24-2006, 06:25 PM
I've had Xbox live hooked up before. But for some reason, its just not working now. I had it disconnected for about a year and when i did have it set up, my brother did it. Anyway, the router is compatible but i think it is how i set it up that is wrong. Can someone explain to me how exactly to hook it up (which wires run to where)? It's a DLINK DI-524.

I called into the help line at XBox and they couldnt figure it out. They said it was most likely a configuration problem with how i hooked it up. Please, could someone explain to me (i dont know much about computers) how to get everything rigged properly?

And how do i switch the IP's (whats that anyway?) from the router to the computer?

CaptainCanuck
03-24-2006, 08:27 PM
bump...come on guys...i need help

Mean250r
03-24-2006, 09:05 PM
my PC is hooked up to use a broadband internet conection, so like, i went to PPOE settings, typed in username and what not, then it Mkay and that was , hope this helps? Xbox is a ***** to hook up lol

Dannys440
03-25-2006, 12:06 AM
Ok start off:
1.)pluging your Dsl modem comming from you router in to the port that says "internet"
2.)then hook your Computer into port number 1
3.) then the xbox in to port 2
4.)then go to start
5.)control pannel
6.)network connections
7.)right click your high speed connection
8.)click on properties
9.)then click on internet protocol
10.)click on properties
11.)then look for ip addresses and /or DNS addressesif you have them then you need to enter them in to the XBOX.

That should work.
and if it don't you need to turn on your xbox and when the menu comes up select xbox live click IP settings and it should search for an address and if it doesn't select the option for it and when you get your gamertag set up i would like to get your gamertag so we could play some games.

CaptainCanuck
03-25-2006, 08:01 AM
I will give that a whirl Danny. However, I'm going skiing for the day so I will let you know when I get it hooked up and definately I'll get you my gamertag. thanks a lot

03-25-2006, 03:32 PM
this number is free and 24hrs. they will help you. 1-800-4-myxbox

CaptainCanuck
03-25-2006, 05:59 PM
I called the xbox hotline again and they said something along the lines of a modem...what the hell is a modem? and danny, I tried all of that and still, no go. how do i connect my computer to the router? i cant figure it out.

Dannys440
03-25-2006, 10:38 PM
Is this your Router:
http://www.circuitcity.com/flashdetection.jsp?ModelID=/IMAGE/nueweb/dlk/NW.DLK.DI524.SWF&OID=94745&CMPageID=3D View: DLK DI524 D-Link Wireless Router&CMCategoryID=3D VIEW > PCS > NETWORKING > WIRELESS NETWORKING

If so the port next to the power is the in port(says WAN if that is your router) and the ports are numbered from right to left,your computer need to be plugged in to port one(port next to in port),and the XBOX in to the one next to the computer to the left of it.
If you are doind this wireless I cant help.

P.S. let me know what you get going i will try to help from there.

CaptainCanuck
03-27-2006, 12:36 AM
I got it working. my gamertag is RndmHero18