PDA

View Full Version : Difference between +2 standard and + long travel

exrider44
03-24-2006, 10:56 AM
I am looking into purchasing a front end for my 450r and was wondering what the major difference is in the standard +2 to the long travel +2. I ride woods and some sand dunes so I need an all around setup. Also are the stock shocks good enough with standard travel or is it alot better with aftermarket shocks. Any help would be great thanks.

pudamac12
03-24-2006, 11:34 AM
aftermarket is better then the stockers in any situation. I personally would go aftermarket long travel. i originally had standard travel plus two and sold that to get long travel houser/ motowoz setup. Best money I have spent on the quad.

Dust_1503
03-24-2006, 12:13 PM
Long Travel is just the use of a longer shock thank compared to the stock length shock. If your shock is say 15" stock a long travel shock could be 17" and up. Long travel setups are most helpful for people who race competively or push their atv very hard. Depending on how hard you go you may be just fine with a aftermarket shock with stock geometry a-arms. A good tripple rate shock on stock a-arms can work great also, and cost you less.

Chino886
03-24-2006, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by pudamac12
aftermarket is better then the stockers in any situation. I personally would go aftermarket long travel. i originally had standard travel plus two and sold that to get long travel houser/ motowoz setup. Best money I have spent on the quad.

I wouldn't say all situations, a aftermarket shock is worthless if it is not valved for you or your setup. I am sure a shock builder could rebuild a stocker (fully adjustable) to run better than an entry level non-adjustable aftermarket shock. Aftermarket is not always better!

exrider44
03-24-2006, 02:08 PM
I ride pretty hard I just dont want to drop the cash on +2 standard and be annoyed later knowing I should have went with +2 long travel. So would you say to just go lt instead? I dont race but I do beat my bike up pretty good.

Chino886
03-24-2006, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by exrider44
I ride pretty hard I just dont want to drop the cash on +2 standard and be annoyed later knowing I should have went with +2 long travel. So would you say to just go lt instead? I dont race but I do beat my bike up pretty good.

I am running ST and I am on a MX track.....I am guessing you would not notice the difference between the two unless you were a pro racer. Just my opinion.

prepracing
03-24-2006, 06:16 PM
basically there is no difference in ride quality, long travel just has more adjustment range so you can really fine tune your setup. That is longtravel shock/a-arm setup. I wouldn't waste any money on + standard arms and use stock shocks. As already stated you might be better to get a good set of aftermarket shocks valved for your weight and run stock a-arms. Then you could always go to a + standard arm setup later on using those same shocks ( just revalved ).

Adams747
03-28-2006, 07:56 AM
A Long travel shock setup, means the lower shock mount location is moved further out towards the wheel creating shock travel that is closer to "wheel travel". The more travel you have the more affect the spring combination has. "the progressive spring rates, (meaning double, triple springs or a single spring with different distances between the coil) is a great setup, BUT the little 25~50 pund spring on top that some companies are using are a waste of space and if you look closely Axis has been going away from that "Helper" spring to a slightly stiffer setup.

I am not sure if $$ is an issue, but you are going to be spending some jack to go with LT and a-arms, HOWEVER, you will be MUCH happier if you buy right the first time. Axis are currently and have been the best as far as getting you the correct feel. your talking big bucks though. I will tell you that I have spent more money and time trying to make a shock feel like an axis setup than if I would have just saved and bought the right setup the first time.

On my quad I have stock shocks rebuilt and valved to triple rate for my weight and I am not very happy with it. They were much cheaper though.

+2 A-arms for the woods will be a little wide and may tend to be a tree magnet. The current woods setup that all the fast guys are running is +1 Long travel A-arms with Stock offset wheels and triple or dual rate shocks.

I run 3"x2" offset front wheels with stock a-arms and stock shocks that have been modified which brings it to the same width as +1 a-arms. This is the cheap way out. Just can't afford to go the other way....yet. Just my 2 cents. I should have done it different and $ doesn't grow on trees. Should have went +1 with Axis LT from the start....

wheew

exrider44
03-29-2006, 05:29 PM
Thanks for the input. I know +2 does get tight in the woods but I dont always ride woods. I just like the wider stance I think I wouldnt be to happy with just +1. I def wanted to get axis but right now I dont see anyone selling a pair. About a month ago there was two pairs on ebay now its quiet. I will just have to take my time since Im not planning on taking my quad apart till probably june.

Adams747
03-30-2006, 05:24 AM
I have a friend who races GNCC that has a set of Houser +1 Lnog travel with Custom Axis shocks all bought new and raced one season that is for sale. With this setup you can run 3x2 front wheels and be +2 then run your stockers in the woods. They are setup for XC, 165lb I believe. If you are interested PM me and I can hook you guys up. I would buy it myself if I didn't have a baby on the way.

TBD
03-30-2006, 08:59 AM
Using the wheel offset to make the quad wider is not a good idea. It'll change the leverage against the steering and you will end up with a lot of steering feedback when hitting obstacles.

Adams747
03-30-2006, 11:13 AM
True, changing scrub radius also which worsens steering. Just try to give him a easier way out.

Chino886
03-30-2006, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by Adams747
scrub radius

What is that....:confused:

TBD
03-30-2006, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by Chino886
What is that....:confused:

Scrub radius is what it's called when the tire no longer pivots in the center and now when it turns is moving in an arc because it no longer lines up with the pin axis.

Chino886
03-30-2006, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by TBD
Scrub radius is what it's called when the tire no longer pivots in the center and now when it turns is moving in an arc because it no longer lines up with the pin axis.

Okay, I just got off the phone with the local university to enroll in ATV Suspension 101, cause that was way over my head. How do you guys learn all this stuff, just when I thought I knew a little bit about something, I find out I don't.

GIXXER1KR
03-30-2006, 05:30 PM
i did +2+1 standard travel and ride trail all the time with no problems and am very pleased with the results!!Next is rebuild my shocks or aftermarket like elkas or something!!!

trx4ever
03-30-2006, 07:17 PM
I have long travel tcs , its way easier to adjust to your style, more noticable adjustments, and you have more leniancy if you make a mistake, but standard travel worked fine on my z

Adams747
03-30-2006, 10:17 PM
Sorry chino, never expected it would go this far. Just trying to make a good suggestion for the guy so he doesn't spend hard earned cash and not be happy.

TBD probably learned where I did too...racing cars. Generally thats were you would learn it or go buy lots of race car engineering books and read like crazy.

Out for good, promise

Chino886
03-31-2006, 05:44 AM
Originally posted by Adams747
Sorry chino, never expected it would go this far. Just trying to make a good suggestion for the guy so he doesn't spend hard earned cash and not be happy.

TBD probably learned where I did too...racing cars. Generally thats were you would learn it or go buy lots of race car engineering books and read like crazy.

Out for good, promise

Hey Adams,

No worries, this is how I learn things, trust me, I have asked my fair share of questions (a lot of them to TBD LOL).

Thanks.