PDA

View Full Version : WB .vs Hmf

EXevan91
03-24-2006, 10:11 AM
now i have a white brohters R4 adn i see all these hmfs that seems to be the cats meow. Now came up with the design first cuz the r series wich isnt even made any more for quads is the same exact thing as the hmf's now being that white brohters is an older comapny i would think that wb had the design first.? so who was first cuz some ones a copy cat.
i dont what to hear your b!tching i just want to know who was first that will declare who is better in my book.

THEY EVEN HAVE THE SAME RIVET PATTERNS

bwamos
03-24-2006, 10:42 AM
Neither one's a copy.

Exhaust systems are simple. (just difficult to tune)

You have a head pipe, midpipe, and a silencer wich consists of a stainless steel preforated core, wrapped in packing, and inserted into a tube (made of steel, aluminum, ti, or carbon fiber, then an endcap that can be either a difuser disk or straight out style.

You really only have a couple types.

Stock baffled systems, straight through w/ turndown, straight through with diffuser, straight through with billet cap. Some silencer shells (canisters) are different shapes.. but that's 99% looks.

HMF and WB both have their own testing/design facilitys. I garauntee they both designed their own systems.

HMF isn't really the "cats meow" as you say. It's just a great all around pipe at a good price. There are others out there that slightly outperform the HMF but the top 10 are all very very close performance wise.

I'd say HMF pipes are a tad better than the WB's, mainly in the ruggedness of the pipes.. but they are both too close to really say one's better than the other.

Different brands are better on different model quads also. What's good on a 450r, may not be worth a crap on a 300ex and vice versa.

THEY EVEN HAVE THE SAME RIVET PATTERNS

Well there's only 3 rivet patterns to choose from.. lol.
3 rivets 120deg apart, 4 rivets 90deg apart, or 5 rivets at 72deg apart.

The HMF has a differnt rivet pattern on the tail end of the pipe than the R4 shown on WB's site has.

Honestly the HMF Sport full system looks nothing like the R4. Perhaps the round canister.. wit the rolled edge tail pipe looks the same, but the rest of the pipe (the part that matters) is not the same.

Heck the endcaps arent even the same. The HMF has a quick change billet aluminum endcap. The R4 does not. The frame mounts are different, the cannister lengths are different.

Well I guess they are both round.. ;)

Honda#4
03-24-2006, 11:09 AM
what a mouth full bwamos, should i get u a glass of water lol.

EXevan91
03-24-2006, 11:23 AM

EXevan91
03-24-2006, 11:24 AM

bwamos
03-24-2006, 07:00 PM
Ahh.. that version of the R4 does have a similar look. The one on their site isn't even close.

Still... the silencer is the least important part of the exhaust system. It's what happens on the other side ot the cannister that matters.

Honestly, get wichever one you think looks the best between Sparks, Rossier, TC, HMF, WB, Yosh, Dasa etc.. just avoid Cobras, DG's and the budget FMF's (the high end FMF's are good).

They are all so close in power/curves that you aren't going to feel a difference between the pipes unles you are running a highly modified machine.

I can't say WB is better than HMF, nor HMF better than WB, as they are both equal in my eyes.

My personal favorite is the Sparks pipe.. but that's just my preference.

bwamos
03-24-2006, 07:05 PM
400ex Sparks pipe

EXevan91
03-24-2006, 09:02 PM
well ty for posting, but iam not trying to decide between the two iam just wondering which company made this design first