PDA

View Full Version : PEP front shock adjustment question

chapmanmd
03-24-2006, 07:06 AM
Does anyone know of a way to adjust the preload on PEP front shocks without mangling your hands?

Pushing down the springs and releasing that wire is a pain.

fandl450r
03-24-2006, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by chapmanmd
Does anyone know of a way to adjust the preload on PEP front shocks without mangling your hands?

As much as it sucks, its the only way. You can sometimes use a large vise to compress the springs so you have both hands fee to move the clip but it's a tricky process. I usually have a friend compress the springs, while I move the clip.

NacsMXer
03-24-2006, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by chapmanmd

Do you not have PEP ZPS shocks? If so, then you can do like a buddy of mine who has the limited mass shocks. He used a large c-clamp to clamp down on the upper springs so he could move that little clip at the top retainer to adjust the preload.

Adjusting the ride height on the ZPS shocks are a piece of cake though, no tools needed. I just take all the sag off them by lifting the front bumper a little, then support the bottom of the frame from falling by putting my knee under it. This allows the weight to be taken off the top ZPS spring. Now I can just pull the top retainer collar with one hand and move the retaining clip up or down however I want it. That ZPS spring seems to be the only difference b/t the limited mass and ZPS shocks, sure makes it a ton easier to adjust the ride height.

chapmanmd
03-24-2006, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by fandl450r
As much as it sucks, its the only way. You can sometimes use a large vise to compress the springs so you have both hands fee to move the clip but it's a tricky process. I usually have a friend compress the springs, while I move the clip.

Yeah, thats how I do it too (the buddy compressing the springs). I just didnt know if there was a "simpler or smarter" way to do it.

I do not have the zps, but rather the limited mass.