View Full Version : cold air intakes on quads

killen them all
03-23-2006, 05:43 PM
hey any1 elies doing this i just bought a cold air intake for my raptor wolffie has 1 on his pred he used a civic intake i am using a intagra intake
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8047225675&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

killen them all
03-23-2006, 06:18 PM
nobody

wolffie
03-23-2006, 06:23 PM
guess just you and me:D

killen them all
03-23-2006, 06:27 PM
lol yepiwould of thoght there would be more well i gues we will just make it a new idea to do:devil: or you did i just copyed

yamablaster24
03-23-2006, 06:28 PM
i would be careful if your riding dust-mud. Those filters let in dust and dirt and i blew up my blaster twice using them. After riding for 10 minutes in dust i checked out my once cleaned intake and it was covered in dust. :eek2:

killen them all
03-23-2006, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by yamablaster24
i would be careful if your riding dust-mud. Those filters let in dust and dirt and i blew up my blaster twice using them. After riding for 10 minutes in dust i checked out my once cleaned intake and it was covered in dust. :eek2:

we will just have to come up with an outer wear that will work on them

wolffie
03-23-2006, 06:47 PM
yeah, its just like any K@N, you need to clean it after every ride if it is dusty out!
i will be purchasing an outerwears soon though:)

killen them all
03-23-2006, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by wolffie
yeah, its just like any K@N, you need to clean it after every ride if it is dusty out!
i will be purchasing an outerwears soon though:) yeah i will be buying 1 as well very soon but i dont know what will fit it

NacsMXer
03-23-2006, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by killen them all
we will just have to come up with an outer wear that will work on them

Outerwears won't do jack chit for dust. It's for water repellency and larger pieces of dirt. The pores in it are much larger than the filter itself. What yamablaster24 said about letting dust in is true, same thing happened to me when using K&N filters first hand. I ran a K&N with an Outerwears, plus another Outerwears on the airbox; too much fine dust in my intake boot and carb. I switched to a UNI foam filter and problem solved.

I see you have a drag quad, so you will be fine with a K&N. If you ride behind people on dusty MX tracks, it will let dust in; foam offers better protection for high dust conditions. I only run K&N's on the street in my truck.

DJJ450r
03-23-2006, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by yamablaster24

I blew mine twice too, I use a uni now:blah:

killen them all
03-23-2006, 08:06 PM
yeah all i ride in is sand

TheFontMaster
03-23-2006, 08:09 PM
I would deffinatly switch to a UNI. Filters are cheap, and there is no reason not to make the switch to UNI. I won't run anything but a UNI on my quads.

Cody_300ex
03-23-2006, 08:24 PM
I plan on putting one on my 300ex w/ a UNI filter for when I go TTin.

Heybo
03-23-2006, 08:38 PM
It serves no purpose on a quad. Cold air intakes are designed to allow the air filter to take in air that is several degrees colder than the engine that it is mounting on. In cars and trucks where the filters are in the engine compartment, this idea works........ but quads already have air filters mounted away from their engines. This setup on a quad is useless.

killen them all
03-23-2006, 08:47 PM
i dont think so it does make a diffrence

Toadz400
03-23-2006, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by Heybo
It serves no purpose on a quad. Cold air intakes are designed to allow the air filter to take in air that is several degrees colder than the engine that it is mounting on. In cars and trucks where the filters are in the engine compartment, this idea works........ but quads already have air filters mounted away from their engines. This setup on a quad is useless.

That's not why they're using cold air intakes on their quads, at least that's not why wolffie is using it. If you've ever taken a look at the stock airbox setup of a Predator, you'd know why he switched to a car intake. It's a very good idea and I applaud him for coming up with that.

I'm actually going to recommend this idea to a friend of mine who owns a Predator, as I took at look at his and couldn't believe they use that design on a sport quad.

killen them all
03-24-2006, 06:25 AM
i am using it cuz i am using a lectron 48mm carb and cant find a raptor set up for the carb

Loser450
03-24-2006, 06:53 AM
Originally posted by Heybo

Word.

Blue_Streak23
03-24-2006, 03:06 PM
Yeah, I agree with the UNI's. The only reason you use a K@N filter is to let more air into the quad with bigger pores! The bigger pores allow more dust to penitrate the filter. So if you don't NEED the performence you are better off going with a UNI or other foam filters. Also the outerwears are made to protect the filters from water and bigger objects, so they have bigger pores than the filter!

Blue_Streak23
03-24-2006, 03:09 PM
Also wolffie is using this setup because the stock intake setup on a predator blows! Maybe you should put a picture of it on the internet Matt, for kicks and giggles.

Mxjunkie
03-24-2006, 03:20 PM
I'd atleast make a airbox for it or something, I had a lt105 with the airbox eliminator kit, it was a spalsh guard and a tube with a K&n on it with a outerware, I went trail riding with my dad and the motor sucked water and it blew up.

Only reason I would run something like that is if all I did was drag racing.

I'm not bashing the least bit, I love making horse power but I dont know if I would run something like that on a every day quad. That one on the predator is an awesome set up, I would put a box over the top part though just to keep the main stuff out.

killen them all
03-24-2006, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Mxjunkie
I'd atleast make a airbox for it or something, I had a lt105 with the airbox eliminator kit, it was a spalsh guard and a tube with a K&n on it with a outerware, I went trail riding with my dad and the motor sucked water and it blew up.

Only reason I would run something like that is if all I did was drag racing.

I'm not bashing the least bit, I love making horse power but I dont know if I would run something like that on a every day quad. That one on the predator is an awesome set up, I would put a box over the top part though just to keep the main stuff out.

well all i can do is drag my quad its to low for trails and to long for a track

ImWhite
03-24-2006, 05:38 PM
did u guys have to rejet after this?i used to have a civic and still have the intake layin around,im thinking about it cuz it looks good
lol

killen them all
03-24-2006, 06:26 PM
i have a lectron carb and they dont use jets but if you do have a carb that uses jets you have to re jet them ask wolffie about it he knows more about it then i do

Tom TRX250R
03-24-2006, 06:48 PM
I really don't see the point of a cold air intake on a quad. But on a Predator, that is a good exception!!! I have seen their lousy intake setup, anything is better than that!!!

Toadz400
03-25-2006, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by Tom TRX250R
I really don't see the point of a cold air intake on a quad. But on a Predator, that is a good exception!!! I have seen their lousy intake setup, anything is better than that!!!

It's basically the same thing as buying a new intake system that eliminates the airbox, but this way you're saving yourself $100 or more.

Jekyl_22
03-25-2006, 03:46 PM
I have riden in some of the most dusty conditions imagineable... Logging jobs in the summer that have 6-8 inches of that super fine thick powder dust, motocross tracks, trails, pretty much everything. I have never had trouble with any of my K&N's. I would make sure that you have a good seal and that you are keeping it well-oiled. If it is oiled porperly, it will catch any kind of dust. Just my experience...

Toadz400
03-26-2006, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by Jekyl_22
I have riden in some of the most dusty conditions imagineable... Logging jobs in the summer that have 6-8 inches of that super fine thick powder dust, motocross tracks, trails, pretty much everything. I have never had trouble with any of my K&N's. I would make sure that you have a good seal and that you are keeping it well-oiled. If it is oiled porperly, it will catch any kind of dust. Just my experience...

I think K&N's are just a mystery, some of them work well, some don't. I've used K&N before and will never go back to using them except for on my vehicles or motorcycles where there's not much dust.

When I used K&N it was a brand new filter, on tight and oiled very, very well. Dust would still get through and there were no cracks or leaks in my intake. So I took it off and slapped on a Uni filter and never had that problem since.

NacsMXer
03-26-2006, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Toadz400
I think K&N's are just a mystery, some of them work well, some don't. I've used K&N before and will never go back to using them except for on my vehicles or motorcycles where there's not much dust.

When I used K&N it was a brand new filter, on tight and oiled very, very well. Dust would still get through and there were no cracks or leaks in my intake. So I took it off and slapped on a Uni filter and never had that problem since.

Same thing happened to me. I'm not one of those people that half *** everything when it comes to maintainence. I like to keep everything in top-notch working order.

I always cleaned my old K&N after every ride, let it dry long enough so the oil would adhere, and then oiled it as best as i could. I even let it sit outside for a few hours and then went back for a second reoiling to make sure I didn't miss anything. Just ALWAYS let in fine dust, no matter what I did. I switched to the UNI filter, and that was the end of it :ermm: I had 2 K&N filters and they both yielded the same results on the MX track.

killen them all
03-29-2006, 04:06 PM
got it today i might move were the air filter is but i dont know

killen them all
03-29-2006, 04:07 PM
more

killen them all
03-29-2006, 04:07 PM
last 1

Chicksdigme423
03-30-2006, 01:18 PM
wont the dirt and dust kick right up from your paddles and go into the filter?

cabex
03-30-2006, 03:42 PM
Yah no doubt, i'd be scared to run that