PDA

View Full Version : Bleeding brakes--sorry dumb questoin!

BLEEDRED
03-23-2006, 05:05 PM
I was setting up my 450 with a trail tech computer and I had to take the brake line off the caliper. I put it back on and tried to bleed the line. Opened up the bleeder valve and added fluid. Pumped the brake for a while and eventually fluid stopped flowing from the bleeder but there was still fluid in the res. Brakes still don't work. What's up? Thanks in advance!!

eastside 400
03-23-2006, 05:17 PM
did you have the bleeder screw open the whole time you were pumping it, if so that is why, you let air into the system, u gotta leave the screw closed, pump the lever, hold the lever in then crack the screw, let the fluid out then tighten it then let go of the lever, then repeat until no air comes out

Abrannan19
03-23-2006, 07:13 PM
this can be a very tedious process and it may take a while..took me 2 day sI had to stop after about and hour because I was soooo stressed out .I thought I would never get them to prime

the predator
03-23-2006, 08:00 PM
lmao...i'm in the same boat, except i just get new pads when they feel a little spongy, takes alot of time away from the brake bleeding. :D

03-23-2006, 08:09 PM
Go to the auto parts store and buy a vacuum pump. It should be about $25 or $30. It's easier if you have 2 people. 1 to keep filling the master and 1 to operate the vacuum pump. You take the top off of the master cyl. open the bleeder screw. Put the vacuum pump hose on the bleeder screw and pump the pump. It will draw the air out of the system. You will see the fliud coming out all bubblly. After a while it will be soild fluid no bubbles. Make sure you watch the fluid in the master cyl in will go down quick. CLose the bleeder and you are done. I do this to all my Vehicle every year to replace the brake fluid in the system. My quad, street bike and truck.

BLEEDRED
03-27-2006, 09:39 AM
Wow, took forever but I finally got it. I had to keep shaking the bike and pulling the lever to get all the air out. Took two days...I bet about an hour and a half total...

Thanks for the help.

bwamos
03-27-2006, 10:34 AM
This will be your new best friend. ;)

It is just a hose with a check valve that allows the air to leave but not re-enter.

MotionPro Hydraulic Brake Bleeder (http://www.motionpro.com/parts/tools/product/hydraulic_brake_bleeder/)

zeus54
03-27-2006, 11:01 AM
i stand the bike up if i'm doing the fronts and rotate the lever you can try that it might help next time. i typically flush my brakes every twenty or so rides and i can get it done within about a half an hour. i've noticed that i don't have to replace pads as often too.

400exrider707
03-27-2006, 11:14 AM
take the bleeder completely off of the caliper and pour some fluid directly into the caliper, then re-attach everything and bleed again, should be good to go in about 5 minutes.;)

XCRACER26
03-27-2006, 05:05 PM
make sure and gravity bleed your brakes after two or three good rides to make them stiff as ever.

h-bomb450R
04-06-2006, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by XCRACER26
make sure and gravity bleed your brakes after two or three good rides to make them stiff as ever.

what does it mean to gravity bleed them??

Abrannan19
04-06-2006, 02:45 PM
I PRETTY SURE THAT HE MEANS TO RIDE THE BIKE 2 OR 4 TIMES AROUND FOR A LITTLE BIT AND THE WHEN YOU GET DONE BLEED THE BRAKES AGAIN..GRAVITY WILL PULL THE AIR TO THE BLEEDER VALVE. I DID THIS SEVERAL TIME BEFORE THEY WERE BACK TO NORMAL.