PDA

View Full Version : 300ex starting problem

wantablaster
03-23-2006, 04:41 PM
The past couple of days when I have rode my 300ex it will start before I ride it and then if im riding for a while and stop and shut it off it wont start usually it wont even make a noise like its going to start or it will just sputter like there was no spark but I just put a new plug in today and it started fine when I first took it out then it had these problems again. Also I can catch it in gear and it will start after im riding a while, I only have these problems after I have been riding for a little while.
What is wrong with it and what should I check for.

wantablaster
03-23-2006, 07:12 PM
anyone im guessing its something with the starter.
could my starter just be getting to hot because it only does this when im riding for a while.

wantablaster
03-24-2006, 04:38 PM
could anyone help me find out what this is and what I should do for it to stop, whenever im riding It will start right up but then after I am riding for awhile it seems to get hot and when I shut it off it will not start for a while and today it did this to me again and it wouldnt even start back up if I tried catching it in gear and I had to wait about 20 minutes or maybe alittle longer until it would start again for me.

wantablaster
03-24-2006, 08:42 PM
come on guys 20 different people looked but not one reply someone has to have an idea of what could be wrong.

wantablaster
03-25-2006, 09:48 AM
Anyone that can help give me an idea of what is wrong and would getting an oil cooler help me and if they would does anyone have a link for some to look at and what about air scoops will they help at all anything else that will help to make it run cooler that I should look at.

bwamos
03-26-2006, 02:00 PM
So what I'm getting from you is that your 300ex rides fine and doesn't die on you, but when you stop to take a break etc.. it won't refire.

You push start.
The motor turns over.
But, the engine wont fire.

However if you bumpstart it it fires up fine?

Your battery is probably just worn out.

You are getting enough cranking amps out of it to turn it over, or fire the engine, but not enough to do both at the same time.

It starts up fresh off of the trailer, because batteries will after sitting a while build up a bit of a boost. For example, if you run a flashlight down, turn it off, let it sit for an hour, and turn it back on it's got about 15 seconds of light again..

Hook up a buddies battery next time it does it.

And, no an oil cooler wont fix this.. but they do help keep the 300's a lot cooler. They are a great addition.

wantablaster
04-02-2006, 02:38 PM
I checked my battery and it is fully charged but I had this problem today so I tried to hook it up to my friends battery and it still wouldnt turn on. Could this have to do with my carb, like a vapor lock when the motor is at running temp and then I shut it off the carb holds fuel in it and it vaporizes so it wont let any more fuel threw the carb for a while, hence it not wanting to start for a few hours after I shut it off.

If this is what is wrong with it what can fix this.

bwamos
04-02-2006, 05:22 PM
If the overflow tubes are clear and not obstructed then you wont have that problem.

Engine is turning over, so it is not a starter problem.

Therefore it is either spark, or fuel.

When you have this problem, pull out the plug, crank the motor over, and see if you get spark.

If you have spark (make sure it's blue, not yellow/orange), it's an issue with the fuel system. Check to make sure ALL vent tubes are clear. Including the gas tank vent tube, and the 2 coming off of the carb. If they are, you jsut need to tear apart the carbuerator and clean it and examine the check valve, etc.. for wear.