PDA

View Full Version : spark plug popped out??

TD53
03-23-2006, 02:23 PM
I was riding around today and heard a pop and my bike shut off. I noticed the spark plug had popped up out of the motor!? Any idea what could cause this? My bike is a 02 400ex.

Thanks ,

Tyler

PolarisRider
03-23-2006, 02:29 PM
happend to my TB once too:ermm:

Rip_Tear
03-23-2006, 03:12 PM
Did it strip the spark plug hole, or did it thread out. If it just treaded out it probaly wasn't tight enough... If it de treaded it probaly is over presured.

Iliketogofast
03-23-2006, 04:10 PM
LOL that thing must be a BEAST compression wise. I've seriously never heard of that.

wheeltrax
03-23-2006, 04:29 PM
my bike did that once too. It sucked cause i had to push it about a mile home cause i didnt have a tool kit.

Z-Racer-5c
03-23-2006, 04:34 PM
If it pulled all the threads out it was probably tightened too much at one time. Your local NAPA will have a thread replacement (Helicoil) for it ($45.00) make sure to take the plug with you for the correct pitch and size. If not stripped out just tighten it back down and hit the trails. Just a reminder! You will have to remove the head to do the thread repair thing!!! Happens all the time and is usually from over tightining of the plug! Same priciple as stripping out a bolt.

rooster300ex
03-23-2006, 07:25 PM
Happend to me one time. it was from not getting it tight enough. i always do a couple turns when it snugs up, and hasn't happend since.

03-24-2006, 10:59 AM
im not trying to be mean but COMEON you have to have a thread about that !!! ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS TIGHTEN IT BACK DOWN!!! :huh :huh :huh :huh

TD53
03-24-2006, 11:22 AM
Honestly yes I needed a thread, the reason for the thread was to understand why this happened and if there was something i can do about it. Also , without the thread i would have never checked for it to be stripped out, I would have just tightened back down. So the thread was helpful to me. If it wasn't helpful to you or you didn't think what i asked was useful , DON"T REPLY!. There are beginners out there who don't know it all. Waste of my time to read it , and a waste of your time to write it. Not being mean as well.

Tyler

DieselBoy
03-24-2006, 11:43 AM
so were the threads shot??? thats crazy ive never heard anything like that

Chino886
03-24-2006, 12:46 PM
Same thing happened to me at the bottom of the biggest dune at Little Sahara in Waynoka, OK at night.....oh ****e!

Just helicoil it and get back out there!

Z-Racer-5c
03-24-2006, 02:08 PM
GOOD RULE OF THUMB IS! THE DUMBEST QUESTION IS THE ONE YOU DON'T ASK! Glad we could be of assistance. I am guessing it was stripped out? There is one more thing I could reccomend, Loctite makes a thread repair epoxy. I saw it at miller bearings the other day. Not sure if it will work for this application though.

TD53
03-24-2006, 02:20 PM
Thanks everyone for your advice. Everyone on here has been alot of help to me. I love this place. I knew absolutely nothing about my bike when I got it, and everything I know about it now is credited to the people on this site. I guess some people just think everyone should know as much as they do. Also good note Z-Racer... and I will check into the repair epoxy.

Thanks Again Everyone

Tyler

bwamos
03-24-2006, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by Z-Racer-5c
Loctite makes a thread repair epoxy.

I wouldn't risk it... there's a LOT of heat at the inner threads at the point of ignition. I highly doub't any epoxy would withstand that heat. ;)

plkmonster2
03-25-2006, 09:18 PM
You can loosen loctite easily. I do it all the time on my r/c's with a solderign iron, even the red stuff. I doubt it would hold up, unless it is meant for super high temps. If it is stripped, a new or used head, or a helicoil is your only solution.

phildogg
03-26-2006, 04:17 PM
I've had one come out on a polaris before but just didn't have it tightened down enough.. hope the threads are ok on yours.
phil

TD53
03-27-2006, 09:08 PM
I checked it out and the threads on the spark plug look fine. Thank God! Also my quad smells like it runs real rich.. but the plug is not black at all. Any idea what this could be?

zeppelin
03-28-2006, 04:55 AM
how does it "smell" rich :huh
anyway, how does it run. are there any flat spats or places where it tends to bog down or sputtter out. let us know and it willl help us diagnise your jetting. ;)

Z-Racer-5c
03-28-2006, 05:03 PM
Just a quick question. Did you check the threads in the head? The plug is much stronger than the threads in the head. You will not strip the threads from the plug.

TD53
03-28-2006, 05:08 PM
yeah, everything seems fine. I threaded the spark plug down by hand, went on smooth, then tightened it with the wrench ( first time i got the thing completely tight without a wiggle).