PDA

View Full Version : Cam Help!

bh2285
03-23-2006, 12:11 PM
Ok, here is what happen...I adjusted the valves and then the noise that I was trying to make go away was still there. This was th 5th time I adjusted the valves so I said screw it and decided to put in the xr400 cam(what should valve lash be on this cam?) back in. When this cam was in it didnt make this noise I think. So ill try it. But heres my problem I was trying to work fast and after runnning it i didnt set TDC and took out the cam...How do I find TDC? I know to align the T mark and I did that but I dont know how the lobes on the cam should be face..Down Up?? Any help is much needed. Thanks in advance!

bh2285
03-23-2006, 01:08 PM
anyone??

bh2285
03-23-2006, 02:39 PM
I thought I had it...But all the rocker arms are tight and has no play when I tighten valve cover down...I dont uderstand..Help Please!

ride_red666
03-23-2006, 04:10 PM
the lobes should be facing down at top dead center

sprtrx300ex
03-24-2006, 06:07 AM
Sometimes you have to turn your motor over a few times (CCW) to get real TDC, Yes the lobes should be facing downward and there sould be a little wiggle in the rocker arms. Make sure you put Thread Locker on the cam sprocket bolts because they will come out in no time. Good luck. Make sure you put Assembly lube on the cam and rocker arms or thick oil.

JEFF400EX
03-24-2006, 10:21 AM
I just got my engine back last night from my engine guy. I asked the same question.

He said to start it, turn the idle screw up just a little ( not at idle, but not racing the engine either ) and let it just set there for about 10-12 minutes running.

During this look everthing over for leaks and what not.

With it being an air cooled engine, it will start to get hot, so shut it off.

Let it set until it cools off, start it again and do the same thing.

After the second cool off, go for a ride for a 1/2 hour or more and
DO NOT lug or race.

After that , ride it like you plan on riding it the rest of its life.

Change the oil after that tank of gas or at the end of that days worth of riding, and you should be good to go.

Check valves if it gets hard to start or if it start poping thru the carb.

I got a 416 wisco piston, steel flec gaskets, crf timing chain, stg 1 Hot cam and valve seals...
Going to powder the frame and build an air box with battery inside this week.