PDA

View Full Version : Famous Coal Hills of Pa!

ballz2thewall
03-23-2006, 12:00 PM
These are located in Treverton Pa, they are at the edge of the town! No Reading Anthracite does not own these! (It's free) But please if you end up here do not litter, drink, or piss of the locals, be kind and courteous! Thanks!

ballz2thewall
03-23-2006, 12:01 PM

ballz2thewall
03-23-2006, 12:01 PM

ballz2thewall
03-23-2006, 12:02 PM

ballz2thewall
03-23-2006, 12:03 PM

ballz2thewall
03-23-2006, 12:03 PM

ballz2thewall
03-23-2006, 12:04 PM

JW450R1
03-26-2006, 04:44 AM
can some one pm me some directions.i used to ride at tower city alot.

bigb189
03-26-2006, 05:38 AM
me and some of my friends ride up here in the summer. It's freekin awsome.

chal23
03-26-2006, 10:24 AM
Could someone PM me some directions also, I would like to check this place out.

honda_racer_713
03-26-2006, 10:52 AM
is this the place in huevos 7?
.. it sure looks like it

JW450R1
03-26-2006, 11:05 AM
some-one told me that those awseome hill climbs are state owned.r u allowed there legally?.tower city member have told me about treverton.does any-one have directions?....:D

ballz2thewall
03-27-2006, 06:11 AM
Yes it is the one in Huevos 7, Directions, well I know that you take I81 North to the Mount Carmel exit then from there I know how to get there but I don't know what the roads or anything you take are! The coal hills are not state owned, sometimes the cops do show up and give a verbal warning to stay off one of the roads! Which again is all caused by people doing the things I mentioned in the beginning!

rap169
03-29-2006, 01:13 PM
id like to check that out also. It does look like the ones in heuvos 7

nasty88r
03-30-2006, 08:00 AM
Are these anywhere near Hazleton?? How far from the Philly area??

ballz2thewall
03-30-2006, 08:48 AM
You could say they are close to Hazelton, I am not sure how far from philly they are! Philly was about an hour and a half from me and then this place is also and hour and a half from me so I guess around 3 hours! Just guessing though!

CD400EX
03-31-2006, 05:12 PM
Sounds like its between Paragon (exit 143 ish) and Raucsh Creek (107). If someone wants to PM me directions from 81 I would appreciate it!

KiethShwiggy300
04-01-2006, 03:19 PM
could somone pm me directions too thanks

Crazy lil punk
04-02-2006, 06:54 PM
is this place fully legal? cuz i will be coming from philly and i dont feel like driving 2 hours to ride illegal when i can drive 15 minutes n ride illegal, thanks

TargetBow
05-07-2006, 05:09 AM
Originally posted by ballz2thewall
These are located in Treverton Pa, they are at the edge of the town! No Reading Anthracite does not own these! (It's free) But please if you end up here do not litter, drink, or piss of the locals, be kind and courteous! Thanks!

Saturday May 7th I was getting ready to unload my 4-wheeler on Reading Anthracite land at Minersville when I was approched by Readings security guard. After I showed him my permit button we had a great talk about the areas that Reading owns (really nice guy) I asked him about Trevorton and he said that Reading does own the big coal hill and alot of the surrounding area there.

I am not saying that anyone will check you at Trevorton I just wanted to let you know that Reading Anthracite does own it. I was there on a previous weekend and no one checked to see if I had a permit. If they do check I think they will just politely ask anyone without a permit to leave uless they give them an attitude when asked.

Crazy Diamond
05-08-2006, 09:28 PM
Any other Coal Hill Pics?

stilfx
05-09-2006, 07:10 AM
Be weary of hitting this place w/o a permit (yes you need one). RA has advised its members to turn in anyone riding w/o a permit/trashing the place. The reward is supposedly a free membership for the following year.

Meanwhile, I've been told they are all sold out of permits? Is that true?

TargetBow
05-09-2006, 06:45 PM
I think they are more worried about stopping some of the illegal dumping and stealing that is going on and not really concerned that much with riding without a permit. Sure, if they [meaning security] check you and you don't have a permit they will ask you to leave but I don't think they would turn you in unless that person has given them a hard time when asked to leave.

I would keep calling them and asking about the permits because they seem to stop selling them at one point in time and then before you know it they start selling a few more without much notice. I read on this forum that the first number they stopped at was 350 permits then some time later they upped it to 500 permits. So if you keep trying and bug them enough maybe they will decide to sell some more. This is the best money I have ever spent on legal riding. And hope that everyone that would like a permit gets a chance to get one.

MR.BIG
05-10-2006, 07:56 AM
I went to hazelton this past weekend and didn't see those hills but found some nice ones. I wish someone could post directions to these but eventually I will find them its just a pain trying to find a place to park without getting hassled.

TargetBow
05-11-2006, 06:31 PM
Take route 81 to the minersville exit
From the minersville exit take route 901, I'm not sure what direction to call it but you will want to head away from minersville.
Follow 901 for some time around 10 miles till you come to a town called Lavelle.
When you get to Lavelle keep a lookout for a turkey hill on your left.
When you get to the turkey hill there will be an intersection just after it. Make a left at that intersection. There should be a sign that says Gowen City.
Just follow that road for about 18 miles keeping a lookout for signs for Trevorton you will go through Gowen City which is about half way to Trevorton.
This road will take you up a mountain and when you head down the mountain at around 17 miles from that intersection at the turkey hill you will start seeing coal mining areas, keep going till you get down to the bottom of the mountain which should be around 18 miles total from that turkey hill intersection and look to your left you will see the big coal hills of Trevorton while still on the road.
From there you will have to find out where to park. Hope these directions are good enough to follow and have a safe and enjoyable riding experiance there.

Crazy Diamond
05-11-2006, 08:35 PM
Any more pics???

TargetBow
05-13-2006, 08:10 PM
Just a picture of a tunnel I saw while riding

Fallen
05-14-2006, 04:04 PM
that mountain the go karts were riding is tower city if you go past the hills a little bit you can find the entrance
tower city is a lot of fun and you can go to mapquest to get directions

TargetBow
05-14-2006, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Fallen
that mountain the go karts were riding is tower city if you go past the hills a little bit you can find the entrance
tower city is a lot of fun and you can go to mapquest to get directions

That is not correct. These hills are in Trevorton not Tower City.

TargetBow
05-14-2006, 04:18 PM
another picture

TargetBow
05-14-2006, 04:26 PM
You are right, when you say that Tower City is a lot of fun I just wanted to clairify that the pictures with the dune buggies are not the coal hill called everest which you pass before the entrance to Tower City. The ones in the picture are a hole lot of fun also.

TargetBow
05-14-2006, 04:28 PM
one more

crday98
05-17-2006, 06:44 AM
TargetBow, where are you from? i live in mount carmel and ride at all of the local spots. st. clair, shenandoah, minersville, indian head, ashland, frackville, etc.

RMpower
05-17-2006, 06:56 AM
wow, looks fun? anyone know how far from middletown NY?? or from north jersey?

TargetBow
05-17-2006, 06:38 PM
I live in Grantville, PA which is about 35 minutes travel time on Interstate 81 North till I get to the Minersville exit.

Do you park at the Wal-Mart in St. Clair? I never rode there but I heard that people park near the Wal-Mart and ride there. I drove by but didn't want to stop to unload because I didn't see anyone parked there.
What is the riding like in St. Clair? I see some coal hills from the road but am not sure if I can park at the Wal-Mart. Where do you park?

crday98
05-18-2006, 12:14 AM
i actually used to live in st. clair then i moved to frackville. i used to just ride the trails down. the hills you see at walmart are about it for that area. it is mostly trail riding with a little mx track just off the burma road. there are some small hills above walmart looking to your left as you're coming in from 61.

there are more places to ride where i live now. you have trails,monster hills and more trails. there are some monster climbs in centralia and monster X5 hills in ashland. you also have places loaded with decent size ones all around the area. the big plus about this area is that none of it is owned by jack rich (R.A.). if i'm not working the next time you plan to come up, i'll glady give you a tour of the area. i work every other weekend and usually ride on my sunday off. just shoot me a pm in advance so i don't make any other plans if you are interested.

foxrider1
06-06-2006, 08:03 PM
i rode my 200x 3 wheeler and 400ex there the coal hill looks like a mountain. I go there every month I live like 30 min. away anthor place like this is called shamokin its very fun too.

4punksdad
06-18-2006, 08:29 PM
trevorton pics.........

4punksdad
06-18-2006, 08:33 PM
our last visit in may.........

check out www.putfile.com/5punks for video clips from trevorton

Moto250X_Rider
06-18-2006, 09:04 PM
i ride the burma alot...well since i didn't get a permit from RA i can't now...alot of outside the area ppl got them so it didn't leave many for the local ppl...hope they start selling them again :(
sucks cause if u wanna ride u gotta go around alot of RA land to find open areas i can ride alot of the land in my township cause i work for the township but it's not the burma....anyone ever hit the old hill climbs where the walmart sits that use to be there....they were sick.....most ppl wouldn't go down them let alone go up them lol

crday98
06-20-2006, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by Moto250X_Rider
anyone ever hit the old hill climbs where the walmart sits that use to be there....they were sick.....most ppl wouldn't go down them let alone go up them lol you need to come up this way. those hills where wallyworld now sits are speed bumps compared to some of the hills around here.;)

Moto250X_Rider
06-21-2006, 02:16 PM
i'm not talking about the ones that ase there now...the one that use to be right where wallyworld is now the bottom was washed out bad...thats why wally world is sinking in...it sits on top of an old stripping hole lol

crday98
06-21-2006, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by Moto250X_Rider
i'm not talking about the ones that ase there now...the one that use to be right where wallyworld is now the bottom was washed out bad...thats why wally world is sinking in...it sits on top of an old stripping hole lol i know exactally which ones you are talking about. that is why i stated "where wallyworld now sits" in my post. ;) there was also the pit behind those climbs.
in all honesty, those hills weren't really that big. as for the washout, they would get like that every time it rained. it would only take a few times coming down them and they would be smooth again because the dirt was so soft. i grew up and have been roaming in those hills since i was 5. :devil:

Moto250X_Rider
06-22-2006, 02:08 PM
same here dude....i still remember my first dirtbkie...an old honda 50 ....i loved that bike lol.....when i was 7 i got that....man i miss them days

TheBlasterMan
06-22-2006, 02:29 PM
looks like i will have to ride there..........

beatblaster
06-25-2006, 09:14 PM
fu*k all you ppl .... with ur hill climb **** ..jkjk.. run the trails in new philly out past the burma and st clair.......if u want some hard woods come out here.... theres an enduro that goes on up here called the broad mountain enduro they all say its the hardest track on the circuit so mayb give it a shot and come up here but watch out and dont park on 8-ton road bc ull prolly com bacxk 2 a burnt vehicle or something bc these locals are retards so go up water st (2 the left of mazlooms) all the way and park up at a bunch of house trailers but GO SLOW and have a fun time.... if ur looking 4 woods this is definitly the place..... THE VALLEY!!!!!:D

Moto250X_Rider
06-26-2006, 07:03 PM
i'm due to take a nice ride out to the lake of fire.....

crday98
06-26-2006, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by beatblaster
fu*k all you ppl .... with ur hill climb **** ..jkjk.. run the trails in new philly out past the burma and st clair.......if u want some hard woods come out here.... theres an enduro that goes on up here called the broad mountain enduro they all say its the hardest track on the circuit so mayb give it a shot and come up here but watch out and dont park on 8-ton road bc ull prolly com bacxk 2 a burnt vehicle or something bc these locals are retards so go up water st (2 the left of mazlooms) all the way and park up at a bunch of house trailers but GO SLOW and have a fun time.... if ur looking 4 woods this is definitly the place..... THE VALLEY!!!!!:D been there,done that many times. the enduro trail isn't all that. the only difficult (rocky and narrow) part is where it goes around silver creek reservoir and out to the burma.
it is fun to ride along the 209 stretch out to tamaqua. there are some pretty neat playgrounds along the way. you can actually ride out to and around tamaqua,out through barnesville then back through the valley all on the trails if you want to explore.;)

4punksdad
06-27-2006, 12:05 AM
this thread was about hills...............not trails.............but, we got trails too

beatblaster
07-26-2006, 08:29 PM
if anyone knows or ever heard of jarrod mcclure and evan williams ...well me and them made a pretty tough track in the woods of kaska.......ppl shood try it its good practice......THE VALLEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

rpyfz450
08-03-2006, 01:22 PM
Is he related to Troy McClure?

pepshocks
08-03-2006, 10:16 PM
we runthat track in the valley . it aint to bad because thats how the deerlake boys roll on the 250r's

cantthinkofname
08-04-2006, 04:32 AM
Can I get some directions too, thanks. I know a guy who might wanna try and climb these.

TargetBow
08-06-2006, 05:46 AM
Just thought I would post a pic of a scenic stop while riding the trails at trevorton. This is a really great spot to stop at for a break and to kick back and take in the view. It does have a spot that you can stand in if you wanted to cool off also, not shown in this picture.

TargetBow
08-06-2006, 05:52 AM
another

TargetBow
08-06-2006, 05:53 AM
one more

4punksdad
08-07-2006, 08:15 AM
targetbow,

that quarry is awesome. Inviting for a swim to cool off, but the smaller side seemed to be infested with water snakes. We saw a few in one spot.

jimh
08-14-2006, 06:48 PM
I'm heading up to try and find some Reading Anthricite trails this weekend.

I have a pass...but have been unable to ride until now.

If anyone would like to ride with my friend and I please respond.

I would also welcome directions.

Are the directions listed a few pages back accurate?

Thanks,
Jimh

foxrider1
08-15-2006, 10:33 AM
the coal hills are very easy to find i been to trverton dozens of times.You can't miss the hills you just go through the main street of treverton and they will look like big black mountains. Anthor great place to ride is shamokin i like it better there. Its not far away from treverton at all. you can hit up both places in one day. The coal hills still give you a challenge there but there are still fun trails to ride there is a walmart and gas station you can just ride rate up to Anther cool thing about shamokin is all you have to do is when you are in the town just look around and you'll see many different places to park and ride. I usally park at autozone and take the railroad tracks to different places. And the best place i personally think to ride there is burnside.

rpyfz450
08-15-2006, 12:52 PM
I didn't think Shamokin had any Reading Anthacite property. Last time I was there, we saw signs for Susquehanock Coal.

TargetBow
08-15-2006, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by jimh
I'm heading up to try and find some Reading Anthricite trails this weekend.

I have a pass...but have been unable to ride until now.

If anyone would like to ride with my friend and I please respond.

I would also welcome directions.

Are the directions listed a few pages back accurate?

Thanks,
Jimh

Let me know how you like it. I am unable to ride this weekend because I have prior commitments or I would try to hook up with you and your friend.
Maybe we could get together on another weekend and I can show you around the areas that I know of. Have fun and be safe.

ssprarie04
08-15-2006, 06:03 PM
Hey all I'm from Trevorton and there are miles & miles of trails to ride here I do have a Reading permit but most locals opt not to get them because we have been riding here for years. Out of towners are here every weekend with no problems with security.By the way those COAL HILLS are huge, need serious HP to get up those Probably 500 to 600 ft. Pro mx racer Jason Dunkelburger & womens GNCC Traci Cecco have spent alot of hours on these trails & hills here

MR.BIG
08-16-2006, 06:58 AM
I will be there this sunday if anyone is going!

jimh
08-16-2006, 07:31 PM
Thanks for the replys.

I guess we will head into Treverton and look around.

We should be there at noon ( I have to go into work for a few hours ) ...then ride until 6 or so.

If anyone wants to meet up at a gas station or other land mark...that would be great.

BTW, we both ride TRX 450's.

Jim

jimh
08-21-2006, 07:36 PM
Thanks for the directions...they led us right into town.

That place is like the wild west.

It seems helmets and protective gear are optional.

I saw a 10 or 11 year old boy riding a KX 65 wearing only a t-shirt, shorts and tennis shoes...the bike was stuck in third gear. His parents were not on site...he was with a family friend!!!

I saw a baby in ( only ) diapers being ridden on a three wheeler. The father did put his beer on the truck hood before taking off with the baby.

I'm not trying to judge people or come off as dudley do right, but it seems that common sense isn't so common.

That said, I can't wait to return.

The riding was unbelievable.

Jimh

captain-noitall
09-05-2006, 06:42 PM
can someone pm me directions.

cantthinkofname
09-06-2006, 12:56 PM
if you are as stupid as me there on page 2 so don't bother to ask...

cr250sx
09-06-2006, 02:48 PM
Don't you think it is kind of ignorant giving directions out to places like this? Next thing you know is you have every Tom Dick and Harry up there tearing the place up and pissing off the locals.

The reason I say this is I live and ride at a place very similiar to this. And because of all the out of towners coming in it is getting very hard for us locals to ride. We cannot park our trucks anywhere anymore without getting ticketed or chased.

All it's gonna take is for one person to get hurt up there and its going to ruin it for everyone.

glwitmer
09-06-2006, 05:12 PM
Can someone give me directions to this place its looks awesome I would love to check it out sometime. I live in Lima, OH

4punksdad
09-07-2006, 06:12 AM
Originally posted by cr250sx
Don't you think it is kind of ignorant giving directions out to places like this? Next thing you know is you have every Tom Dick and Harry up there tearing the place up and pissing off the locals.

The reason I say this is I live and ride at a place very similiar to this. And because of all the out of towners coming in it is getting very hard for us locals to ride. We cannot park our trucks anywhere anymore without getting ticketed or chased.

All it's gonna take is for one person to get hurt up there and its going to ruin it for everyone.

I am from out of town & I sort of agree with ya. However, it appeared to be the locals who were the problem in most cases. For example, I saw several riders with no helmets & no gear. Not to mention they also appeared to be the guys littering. I have seen this on more then one occassion to Schukill Co.

Here on our local trails I am usually the guy to police the litter bugs & idiots. I can't stand a guy ruining my riding area.

rpyfz450
09-14-2006, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by 4punksdad
it appeared to be the locals who were the problem in most cases. For example, I saw several riders with no helmets & no gear. Not to mention they also appeared to be the guys littering.

It's not so much the disregard for safety equipment that bothers me as much as the trash.

People go to great lengths to dump garbage back there. I see a lot of contractor materials, like old shingles, siding, and concrete dumped back there. There's also a lot of heavy household items that don't fit in trash cans like tires and old televisions. It can also be a little surprising how deep into the woods these criminals go to dump their trash. It's very disappointing.

CHAR250R
09-14-2006, 04:53 PM
I too ride in this area. I live in Ct. but also have a house in Weatherly. I can't understand why the locals throw so much $hit in the woods. You name it, I've seen it in the woods. Most of it ends up in the abandoned strip mines. Are there any legal land fills/dumps in Pa?

Crazy Diamond
09-16-2006, 01:15 AM
Yes there is legal places to dump s**t! But I think they get a kick out of destroying the landscape around here! Bunch of scumbags if you ask me! :mad: :grr: