PDA

View Full Version : Chest protector, is it worth it.

striker1001
03-22-2006, 08:40 PM
I already made a thread on this kinda, but i dont know if i should waste my money on one or not. Im gettin a shift one for $40. But what I want to know is, lets say if i get into a crash will it really provide any protection.

03-22-2006, 08:42 PM
You've obviously never been roosted before. Get one, they help.

Pappy
03-22-2006, 08:42 PM
mine has saved me from injury more the once. i usually will not ride without one

NacsMXer
03-22-2006, 08:44 PM
For only $40, it's definitely worth it. Won't have to worry about taking a huge rock to the chest from the guy in front of you (really sucks). You also never know when that plastic is going to save you in a bad wreck (imagine a handlebar end or a lever going into you without one). Crazy stuff happens really fast, you never really know when it will save your arse. I know I took some tumbles in my Thor Scattershield and it saved my back from getting all scraped up. I don't see any other cons besides the extra weight, you'll get used to it.

YFZ450Ridr
03-22-2006, 08:55 PM
thier deffently worth it. my dad had a simple little wreck about 4 months ago and landed on a rock and cracked 3 ribs. if he had a chest protector on it probablly wouldnt have happened. not to mention, thier one hell of a wind deflector when its cold out. i love my shift one i got and its really comfy. get one for sure, you wont even notice it.

450robot
03-22-2006, 08:58 PM
mine saved my life numerous times

i couldve been impaled if i wasnt wearing one last week

i was riding through our xc practice track after a storm, which had knocked down a bunch of branches...

well, while flying at about 40mph i ran over one about the size of an arm, it shot right up front my front wheel into my chest erea, and cracked the chest protector, if it wasnt there, that branch wouldve been inside of me now

prepracing
03-22-2006, 09:01 PM
YES its worth it....once you start riding with it you'll never want to ride wthout it again :macho

400exrules
03-22-2006, 09:13 PM
i dont have one yet, but i have my first harescramble race of the season this sunday(got cancelled last sunday due to rain), and if i like it, and decide to continue to race the rest of the season, im gonna buy one, along with a bunch of other stuff. Do you guys like the ones with the little side arm guards? seems like those would get annoying

450robot
03-22-2006, 09:25 PM
nah, you dont even notice them

jwick07
03-22-2006, 09:36 PM
Besides my helment its the best investment for protection I've made. GET IT

Moser87m
03-23-2006, 08:20 AM
keep the arm things on, most people say they look stupid but its soo worth it when you take a spill and fall on your sholder on rocks or something. I just wreck last week and dore my chest protector in half, i was thinking about just wearing a rost protector and almost bought one. thank god i didnt. save my ribs, they still hurt and are brused but i would have broken them no dout without. they sometimes save your life. your stupid to ride without one.

QuadR8cer12
03-23-2006, 12:18 PM
The one time I decided not to wear one for a practice session off the freestyle ramps in hendricks, MN I crashed and the quad hit me. I started spitting up blood from bruising my kidneys. I prolly would have been saved a doctor bill and pissing blood for a while if I would have been wearing my chest protector

dangle
03-23-2006, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by QuadR8cer12
The one time I decided not to wear one for a practice session off the freestyle ramps in hendricks, MN I crashed and the quad hit me. I started spitting up blood from bruising my kidneys. I prolly would have been saved a doctor bill and pissing blood for a while if I would have been wearing my chest protector

Yummy....

Mike

400exrules
03-23-2006, 01:08 PM
whats the difference in a chest protector and a roost protector?

dangle
03-23-2006, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by 400exrules
whats the difference in a chest protector and a roost protector?

Roost protectors are generally made out of a soft rubber compound... meant to be worn under the jersey....

Mike

PismoLocal
03-23-2006, 01:43 PM
Ya you should buy one they are worth every penny.

Evana13
03-23-2006, 02:15 PM
I WOULDEN'T BUY A ROOST DEFLECTOR ITS LIKE WEARING A THICK HOODIE IMO

KTM265
03-23-2006, 03:39 PM
I wear a Moose protector...love it. Last year I had a high speed get off at Crandon on the truck track...I slid about 20-30 feet on hard pack clay...my elbow got road rash burn through the skin and getting into the tendon/muscle...very nasty. Had it on my @$$ and on my hip too...It saved my collarbone at the very least when I got cartwheeled through the air...

Mud Roost
03-23-2006, 03:47 PM
like everyones been saying, its crutial that you wear one. i suggest you get one and use it every time you ride accompanied by boots, and Riding pants, and, of course, a helmet . if you ride without goggles, think again. that can be extremely dangerous as i was riding my yz once and unexpectedly a branch happened to be there and whip my goggles so hard they cracked to pieces, WAS I EVER THANKFUL!!!!!!!!! and just imagine your handlebars impacting the eye/nose area , there are way to many people getting killed on these thing's due to improper safety equipment, and carelessness . GOOD LUCK!

400exrules
03-23-2006, 03:49 PM
yup, when i ride, i wear helmet, goggles, boots, pants, jersey, and a camelback.....looks like ill be buying a chest protector soon

fast_enough
03-23-2006, 03:56 PM
What they've been saying about the rocks is true, I had a cannondale do this to me very badly. Just imagine trying to ride and being shot by a paintball gun, lol.

DieselBoy
03-23-2006, 04:11 PM
smooth move, Morgan. :o

SGA
03-23-2006, 09:04 PM
Im going to disagee with everyone and say get a chest protector;)

Seriously though, get one.

FourFiftyFour
03-23-2006, 10:02 PM
me being a woman, its hard to get one to even fit...im extremely small but well i have things that u guys dont have and well chest protectors dont go around that area very well...the adult sizes swallow me and the kid sizes well of course are way too small... i have had to race without one and i hate it. I had a pretty nasty wreck at the dunes and i got some messed up ribs...I wish I could find a chest protector that would be worth a crap for me...so I wouldnt worry about that stuff so much... but if you can find one that fits you, yes they are worth the investment...

Toadz400
03-23-2006, 10:25 PM
That sucks CDaleChick, they should make one for women. You should try writing to some of the companies about it, it's worth a try.

I would definately recommend it, as does everyone else. You have nothing to lose by wearing it and you don't even notice it's there. It definately saves you from unnecissary bruises...just ask my friend that took a boulder to the chest from my Banshee roost:D :macho .

FourFiftyFour
03-23-2006, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by Toadz400
That sucks CDaleChick, they should make one for women. You should try writing to some of the companies about it, it's worth a try.

I would definately recommend it, as does everyone else. You have nothing to lose by wearing it and you don't even notice it's there. It definately saves you from unnecissary bruises...just ask my friend that took a boulder to the chest from my Banshee roost:D :macho .

acerbis makes one but well they still arent worth a crap.. doesnt have a good fit and not to mention they are ugly and looks "spodish"

FHKracingZ
03-23-2006, 10:35 PM
I wear a 661 Underarmor and a plastic chest protector over my jersey. I feel like robo-racer. :D