PDA

View Full Version : Brake Help please

davidds
03-22-2006, 07:32 PM
I while ago my rear brake stopped working so I checked around and i couldnt find any leaks or anything and there was fluid in the resivor. So I assumed because of the softness of the peddle that it was my master cylinder so I bought a used one off ebay. I put that one on and It felt the same and my brake still didnt work and it felt the same as the first master cylinder. Is there any way to test if there is a problem with my master cylinder or my caliper before i waist any more money.

Rip_Tear
03-23-2006, 03:15 PM
Did you try bleeding the system? If you get air in the line the brake won't work. Also the line could be too warn and bluging out instead of putting presure on the brake pads. If you take the caliper off the rear assbly and push the brakes on with the pedal, and the pads should go together, but check everything I said.

davidds
03-23-2006, 04:53 PM
Ive tried bleeding the system but i cant get any pressure in the system to bleed them cause i put new pads in and they wont tighten down on the rotor when i push the pedel. so therefore it wont ever build enough pressure to force fluid or air out of the system. so i just dont know

Rip_Tear
03-23-2006, 05:12 PM
If you don't have a manual I'd suggest getting one, and rebuild the whole system. Not that hard of a job, I think there might even be a thread about it if you look, it'd have been posted a while ago.

davidds
03-23-2006, 08:20 PM
I got a manual and ill look into it some more thanks.

WOLFPACK
03-24-2006, 07:07 AM
Pull the caliper off the bike. Put something between the pads to simulate a rotor (This is so you don't blow out the seals when you pump the pedel). Rotate the caliper so the bleeder is as high as you can get it.

Sometimes air gets trapped in the caliper and doesn't naturally flow out the bleeder. Also, you cannot tell just by look at them if the crush washers are good. If the first suggestion doesn't work change out the washers. They are cheap and you can order them from C&D or prosportcycle.com.

Chino886
03-24-2006, 07:58 AM
is there an adjustment to make the rear pedal stiffer, I just put on a different kind of rotor and I have to push the pedal down further to engage the rotor.

Suggestions?

davidds
03-24-2006, 04:11 PM
You can adjust the bolt on the back side of your pedal that goes into the master cylinder. If you spin it down it should give you more leverage which = easier braking. Try it out.